1980's Performance Car Flashbacks

The '84 up Corvettes, aka C4, were great handling cars and their drive trains continued to improve.
They really stuck in the curves, but when they broke loose they were gone.
Don't ask me how I know.

Originally Posted by hemitruck
Cars from the eighties were slow, poorly engineered and most didnt last long.

Yet the fox is probably the most common drag racing platform ever...

I've seen more beaten on fox Mustangs than any car, and those little 302's would take a beating like nobody's business. Factory balanced internals, forged pistons, they were good engines. The weak link was the T-5 trans when you started putting more power through it.

Bought this as an Ensign. 1985 Trans-Am. 305 with the Rochester Q-jet....this is the photo I took to list it for sale, six years later.

Turns out that a car seat doesn't really fit well in the back of a Trans-Am...

[Linked Image]

Originally Posted by wemay
Originally Posted by simple_gifts
Dodge Conquest/Mitsu Starion.

YES!

Those were SWEET!!

Don't know about performance, but was still a sweet car!

I think this is the car that won the Cannonball Run,right?

The Starions in wide body were definitely a shot at Porsche's 944 Turbo and had huge "curb appeal" with the creased flares, wide and deep wheels, lip spoiler, etc. The engine however was undersquare (smaller bore than stroke) and the heads were prone to cracking under boost due to air injection steel inserts directly inside the combustion chambers.

Mitsubishi_Starion_2.jpg

Mitsubishi-Starion-Turbo-8.jpg

Originally Posted by IMSA_Racing_Fan
1980's Dodge Daytona/Chrysler Laser.

The Daytona Turbo was on Car and Driver magazine's 10Best list for 1984. Both the Daytona and Chrysler Laser were available with the Chrysler electronic voice alert system through 1987. A performance oriented "Shelby" version of the Daytona was introduced in 1987.

One hot performing cars was the 300-hp twin-turbo Dodge Stealth R/T all wheel drive ... but it came around in the early 90s. It was pretty wicked at the 1/4 mile due to the all wheel drive.

Actually a rebadged Mitsubishi 3000GT for credit's sake.

I wouldn't say it was "rebadged", because Dodge partnered with Mitsubishi during their development of the Stealth. Sure it has a lot of 3000GT DNA, but it's not really a 3000GT with Dodge badges on it.

Originally Posted by hemitruck
Cars from the eighties were slow, poorly engineered and most didnt last long.

If referring to N. American cars, then yes, i could agree.
This was still the decade that the Europeans and Japanese were turning N. Americans away from the big 3.
Not only for quality, buy performance, reliability and durability.

Driving that Firebird through sea water ... now a Rustbird, lol.

Neighbor had one when I was a teenager and at the time I thought it was so fast. I remember liking the dash.

The Starions in wide body were definitely a shot at Porsche's 944 Turbo and had huge "curb appeal" with the creased flares, wide and deep wheels, lip spoiler, etc. The engine however was undersquare (smaller bore than stroke) and the heads were prone to cracking under boost due to air injection steel inserts directly inside the combustion chambers.

The Plymouth and Chrysler version of the Starion was the Conquest.

Last edited:
Back