1980's Performance Car Flashbacks

Tip of the hat to Lotus

1981.jpg

68005068-770-0@2X.jpg

Originally Posted by IMSA_Racing_Fan
Tip of the hat to Lotus

Yes! The S3 Esprit, Turbo Esprit and the various 930's (make mine a Flachbau please) were the pinnacle of 80's automotive dreaming for me.

[Linked Image]

A 1979, but close enough for a quick search.
[Linked Image]

Sweet slant nose. I had the car nut requisite poster on the wall.🙂

People comparing 2020 to 1985 need to keep in mind the progress in interior plastic materials and switchgear, computerized engine management, etc. That is a 35 year gap.

I say compared to 1950 the 1985 models came a long looonng way.

The Ferrari F40
The Ferrari F40 (Type F120) is a mid-engine, rear-wheel drive sports car[11] engineered by Nicola Materazzi with styling by Pininfarina. It was built from 1987 to 1992, with the LM and GTE race car versions continuing production until 1994 and 1996 respectively.[2] As the successor to the 288 GTO (also engineered by Materazzi), it was designed to celebrate Ferrari's 40th anniversary and was the last Ferrari automobile personally approved by Enzo Ferrari. At the time it was Ferrari's fastest, most powerful, and most expensive car for sale.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ferrari_F40

Ferrari-F40.jpg

7189660684_f931df5a85_b.jpg

a39bd1930889c24a702d5fc36a92a7cb.jpg

Ferrari F40 was a supercar back in the day, today cars $100K off the showroom floor would destroy an F40.

I'd love to own an F40 and 959.

Originally Posted by Mr Nice
Ferrari F40 was a supercar back in the day, today cars $100K off the showroom floor would destroy an F40.

I'd love to own an F40 and 959.

F40 is still considered one of the best cars to drive in the world. Spend $10,000 on tuning and modifying turbo's, suspension and it would be as quick as anything around on a circuit track etc. But who is going to modify one...

https://www.autocar.co.uk/car-news/features/top-50-cars-drive-you-die-and-winner

I have very few regrets in my my life, but one of the biggest was selling my 1988 M6. The catalytic converter fell off in the garage one weekend and was replaced by a Jet-Hot coated Fahey track pipe, and I added a Dinan chip as well. It made close to 300 hp at the crank- not bad for a 3.5 liter NA motor. I took it to a joint BMW/Porsche event at Memphis International Raceway - and was protested in the Solo 1 competition by a couple of 911 guys because they said my car could not be that fast with only a modified exhaust and a chip.I later won my class with it at the 1994 BMW CCA Oktoberfest autocross. I also used it to transport my newborn son home from the hospital to get him started off on the right foot. I doubt I'll ever be able to afford another, but at least I was able to own one for three years- and was able to drive it as its makers intended.

[Linked Image]

The mighty Ruf Porsche

The original RUF CTR, commonly known as the "Yellowbird", outran the Ferrari F40 and the Porsche 959 from 0 to 100 mph and kept going all the way to a top speed of 213 mph. It was the fastest car of the ‘80s and, arguably, the most extreme road-going interpretation of the Porsche 911 Carerra at the time.

Originally Posted by IMSA_Racing_Fan
Won a drag race with a pre-emissions big engine. Drag racing is e a s y.

Says someone who hasn't done it...

1991 One Lap of America, 2nd place overall(!) for the Mopar Action team...pretty sure the guy on the driver's side is Rick Ehrenberg.
[Linked Image from upload.wikimedia.org]

Back