1939 Dodge Inline Six Flathead Truck Oil

Is that the oil filter in the third photo? The canister on the opposite side from the air cleaner. I worked on an old Chevy pickup once with the same kind of setup.

We have a 1939 Dodge 1 ton, 6 cyl, X-CDF (Cal Fire) brush truck. I have run 15w-40 in it since restoration, 21 years ago. Since it was state owned at one time, I assume it was well maintained for 10-15 years. Not sure after that, so went with short intervals. View attachment 51743
May I ask what brand of 15W-40 you use? Is it synthetic? I've been running NAPA/Valvoline ND SAE30 for about freshly rebuilt 201.3 c.i. flathead with 5K miles. I'd like to change to full synthetic with oil changes every 750 miles instead of the recommended 1000. Thanks

Welp another old truck again, its a 1/2 ton dodge pickup and I have absolutely no clue what oil it should use but it probably needs a zinc additive for oil and fuel if im not mistaken. I can post a little more info about it later, and if I see anything on its dipstick regarding weight. For the most part its a project but we will put it on the road, just need to get title from ca dmv so that will be FUN 🙃🙃🙃

I'd run with a 15w-40.

Beautiful truck. Keep it alive. Here's a '46 I have known for about 50 years. Still in service...
Dave 46 Dodge.jpg

May I ask what brand of 15W-40 you use? Is it synthetic? I've been running NAPA/Valvoline ND SAE30 for about freshly rebuilt 201.3 c.i. flathead with 5K miles. I'd like to change to full synthetic with oil changes every 750 miles instead of the recommended 1000. Thanks
Just run whatever's cheapest, If you insist on Synthetic, right now you can get Gallons of Delvac Extreme 15W-40 from Walmart for $17.48 then there's a $9 rebate on up to 4 jugs from XOM.

Back