19 Ram V6 oil change.

My friend Javier who has the 2019 Ram V6 texted me and wants me to help him change the oil. He's new to diy car maintenance so I'm going to do it with him. I looked up his truck and what I found was the Ram Pentastar takes 5 quarts of 0W-20 with the MO-349 oil filter.

Does this sound accurate? I'll tell him to pick out his 0W-20 oil of choice. I think the dealership he bought it from uses PP (yes I was nosey and looked around their parts dept haha).

I lol-ed when I saw the 5W-30 recommendation. If your friend does any kind of towing or work with that truck, I would go with Mobil 1 EP 5W-30. It's a very robust oil and the impact on fuel economy is nill considering the size of the vehicle.
Nah he doesn't tow or anything. It's his daily driver. His old F-150 bit the dust, so he bought the Ram.

Yeah - the Wrangler dropped to 5 quarts - have Mobil 1 in it now but will use RGT next (clearance stash)

@aquariuscsm

Is the RAM 1500 one of these:

2021-ram-1500-classic-tradesman-granite-crystal-metallic-clearcoat-0.jpg

or one of these?

ram1500new.jpg

The difference is that the new model has a different version of the Pentastar V6 that holds less oil in the sump.

Still, it's an overworked sedan motor lugging around 6,000 lbs of truck. I would definitively run 5W-30 or 0W-40 in a situation like that. The difference between 5W-30 and 0W-20 is so minimal, but the wear protection is there.
Overworked sedan motor? That's a new one. With the transmission and engine combo along with the fact that he doesn't tow anything, that truck is not overworking that Pentastar. :LOL:
Cheers. 🍻

I believe it jus takes the chrysler-mswhatever it is in the owners manual. But I know it can be either a 20 or 30 grade. I believe qsud 5w-30 is specd for it.

Back