‘19 GTI specs 0w-20 508 00

Not my car but I thought a discussion could expand on VW's choice to run a lighter oil.

At the Mk 7 forum a new owner is reporting his new ‘19 GTI specs 508 00 oil. This is a 0w-20 oil similar to so the FE formulation from BMW and 229.71 from Daimler.

The engine is rated at a tad more power (228hp) vs previous years(220hp) but no other changes are known to the internals.

Would you run this difficult to find oil or just run the existing 502 00 spec?

If it were my car I would buy the easy to find Castrol 0w-40.

Originally Posted by Jimmy_Russells
While the car is under warranty the answer should be obvious...

Run whatever you want because as long as the engine has oil in it and isn't sludged up no one will ask?

I'd run a 502 if it were my GTI...

Originally Posted by maxdustington
Buy it, scan receipts and return for 0W40!

This is what is known as LYING.

Originally Posted by rooflessVW

Run whatever you want because as long as the engine has oil in it and isn't sludged up no one will ask?

I'd run a 502 if it were my GTI...

+1

Originally Posted by maxdustington
Buy it, scan receipts and return for 0W40!

That's what a gamer would do. Lie and cheat to get away with what they want.

lol

You guys obviously don't realize the 508 spec calls for a green dye, which stays green for the life of the OCI. So yes, if you want warranty, I would stick with 508.

Last edited:
Not at all keen on the idea of running a VW on 0w20. But if it were my car, under that new generous warranty, I would do it. Until it hit 72,001 miles that is.
grin2.gif

Originally Posted by LotI
Not my car but I thought a discussion could expand on VW's choice to run a lighter oil.

At the Mk 7 forum a new owner is reporting his new ‘19 GTI specs 508 00 oil. This is a 0w-20 oil similar to so the FE formulation from BMW and 229.71 from Daimler.

The engine is rated at a tad more power (228hp) vs previous years(220hp) but no other changes are known to the internals.

Would you run this difficult to find oil or just run the existing 502 00 spec?

If it were my car I would buy the easy to find Castrol 0w-40.

What does manual says?
There is no way I would run that in EA888 engine.

Do they give you a second option like Hyundai does for my 2018 Kona turbo. Come with 5-30 but gives you a 5-40 option?

Originally Posted by edyvw
OMG, [censored] is this?
VW just cannot help itself. Basically they are saying in this that in Golf R one should use VW502.00 5W30 or VW504.00 5W40, except VW504.00 5W40 DOES NOT EXIST!

I agree. I think VW should just say the oil must meet the spec and stop recommending a grade. My manual says use 502 00 that is either 5w-30 or 5w-40. I use 0w-40 & 0w-30 in the past that met the spec.

It's easy for non-BITOGers to get confused by this. Or possibly it's just a way to get you to the dealer.

Originally Posted by Direct_Rejection
Take a look at SN+ vs VW 508 at the Lubrizol Spider Chart..

There is a mistake:
HTHS is not greater/equal to 3.5
and surprised there is no mention of fuel economy performance, especially since 508.00 claims 4% improvement in fuel economy

Originally Posted by UG_Passat
P.S. In Europe, with flexible service intervals, it calls for 508.00, including Clubsport and R.

Fixed intervals is 502.00

As North America gets lower and lower sulfur fuel, VAG is moving the cars over to 508 and 504 spec, while keeping the short interval (for now).

If they went to 508 spec in cars in NA and also went to 15k+ mile oil change interval people would go bananas.

Back