14 Mazda 3, 14 Accord, [other new cars]Manual Only

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm watching these cars for a possible spring purchase. Manual trans, close to 20k, high fuel economy, BITOG drive it forever style reliability, and some fun are what i want. My wife will drive it, she just wants it to look cute. She thinks the mazda 6 looks like a man car and is therefore not interested in that one. She drives an 03 tdi 5 speed nearing 300,000 miles. Its been great but she drives a lot, and this car probably won't be as reliable as it has been forever. I don't want to loan her my T100 or AE86 while i fix her car.

Mazda 3 doubts i have: Did they lighten the skyactiv too much to be long term reliable? How about the lightening of its 6 speed manual? Why does it not have cruise control on the base model? A driveable mazda 3 really costs $19,240. Only 2,000 less than an Accord LX can be haggled to. Accord wins in brand reputation and theoretical resale value to the point that those 2,000 dollars are not significant.

Nissan is supposed to have improved the 2014 sentra suspension and it will be offered with a manual. I'm not a fan but it could come close to 15k since Nissan wheels and deals to make sales. My point is, the 3 is expensive. CX 5 is on the table as well, but i prefer the 3's price, weight, MPG, and handling over it.

Everything manual, fuel efficient, and close to $20k will be considered without bias towards any brands. Even something like a base Focus ST is considerable. I'd like a power to weight ratio of about 18 lbs per horsepower or better. Mazda 3 is 18.05, Accord LX 17.25, her modded tdi is about 21 lbs per hp with BIG torque. The new car cannot be slower than the old diesel.

Waiting longer than spring is an option if something amazing is coming out soon.

AWD or winter performance is not important as i plan to buy dedicated winter wheels and tires. I like Subaru but many people say their manuals have bad shift feel.

Lets not bring used suggestions into this thread for a few reasons: 1. we already have what i consider to be the best used car, a manual ALH TDI. 2. the purchase will be cash or 0% if offered.

Thank you for your input!

It seems that the people who buy these cars with manual trans run them until the wheels fall off. You might have a hard time finding one.

Most dealers (Mazda is the exception)won't stock manual transmissions because they can never get rid of them.

I don't think the Sentra S has cruise control either.

The Cruze LS typically doesn't either. I think I would prefer the Cruze to the Sentra S. It is heavier than the Sentra but has more horsepower. I'm not sure either are significantly better than the TDi.

I do like the styling of the Sentra, but not as much as the 2014 Mazda3.

As far as pricing? Mitsubishi Lancer appears to be the winner. Mitsubishi dealers are willing to move cars. It is a pretty good driver. Probably the worst fuel economy in the segment though. another con is whether or not Mitsubishi is going to be around much longer.

Impreza 2.0i should meet the lbs:hp ratio. I haven't checked the current model's shifter feel. Interior on the current model reminded me of a Mazda....a 10 year old Mazda. Every Subaru I have ever shifted has had a sloppy/ropey shifter though. Maybe they improved it.
21.gif

The new generation manual Beetle TDI looks good if you were going the cute route, but its over $24k. Yellow Rush please.

Volkswagen-Beetle-yellow-bird.jpg

Last edited:
Base model Nissan Versa. Manual everything, great price and great mpg! If I was looking at new cars it would definitely be on my list.

I'm still scared of HPFP failure on new TDi cars. The 12,000 dollar versa has crossed my mind, but it may just be too cheap all the way around. Life is too short to drive what is 2014's geo metro. I'd rather throw parts at her GLS TDI till it rusts in half.

Ordering and waiting is fine if it gets us exactly what is desired.

Fiesta ST, i like a lot but might be too small, Focus ST might be too heavy on price and fuel. That, and i trust an N/A Honda about 10x more than a boosted ford.

In my mind, today, the Accord is the front runner. Wife kinda doesn't like the super common name plates like accord camry civic, but hey, that Accord is a lot of car for the money.

The 2014 Mazda3 has the best combination of driveability and fuel economy. The Accord is a better car on the freeway for comfort and that's it. My wife owns a 2012 Mazda3 with the Skyactiv engine and the 6 speed manual. Her car has the best shifter of any stick car I've driven period. Have her drive a Mazda. The stick in my WRX is OK, but the clutch is as stiff as a diesel semi.

If your wife wants something that looks cute then the Fiat 500 should be on your list. To a certain extent, maybe even the Yaris.

asiancivicmaniac is right. If your wife wants something that looks like it's been beaten with the ugly stick so severely that she feels bad for it and wants to take it home and call it cute, the Fiat 500 deserves some consideration.

how about an impreza?

foresters start about 20k also.

The subaru shift feel isnt the "BEST"

that being said its not terrible either and you get used to it.

you can also improve it abit with some aftermarket parts if needed.

Subaru + winter tires = Total blast to drive in the winter.

Last edited:
If the subject line could have been longer, i would have added:

"No Fiat"

4, or 5 doors with as much room as possible while being light and fun.

I love the looks, design, 13:1 engine, all that of the latest mazda offerings, but i can't help but wonder what car will last longer and break less. Anybody seen or worked on a really high mile skyactiv yet?

Originally Posted By: dareo
If the subject line could have been longer, i would have added:

"No Fiat"

4, or 5 doors with as much room as possible while being light and fun.

I love the looks, design, 13:1 engine, all that of the latest mazda offerings, but i can't help but wonder what car will last longer and break less. Anybody seen or worked on a really high mile skyactiv yet?

No experience with that engine specifically but most of the components on my older Mazda that aren't Ford components are Denso components.
The Ford stuff hasn't been that good. Haven't replaced a Denso component yet.
I don't personally think the Hofu assembled Duratecs are any less precise than the Cleveland assembled Duratecs.

EVERYONE has a Honda, Toyota, or Nissan it seems. Those are all really nice and well made cars........sometimes. Every single manufacturer has a dud or two.

I'd go with the Mazda without looking back. Our last five cars have been Mazdas. Not a single trip to the dealer for anything. Exceptional to drive and require minimal servicing. Gas and go.
Their driving dynamics are incredible and give some of the Euro makes a run for their money.

Read the reviews of the 2014 Mazda 3 and go test drive one. So far they have gotten excellent reviews.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back