14 CTS VSport Aisin Trans - MaxLife Inconclusive Test

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted by clinebarger

Clutch to Clutch transmissions can be VERY sensitive to ATF type! This trans calls for WS.

That's interesting. At Allison, we could run on Dexron or 15W40 motor oil (the Army and some fleets demand that) with no changes, adaptive algorithms did all the compensation. Basically they are looking at slip time profiles and adjusting the pressure to give a correct shift. Sounds like some of the other guys have much narrower range of operational compensation.

Originally Posted by atikovi

Great that it works for you but have you used it for 100,000 miles? Do you know if the OEM fluids have any proprietary ingredients these universal fluids lack and their absence might not show up for 100,000 miles? Transmissions are expensive to repair or replace so saving a few bucks on universal fluid isn't always the best idea.

No, but in all my applications, many others have used it for tens and hundreds of thousand miles with no issues.
No, I don't know.
Again, it is not just about cost, it is about the quality of fluid. Regardless if it is MaxLife, Mobil 1, Amsoil, Redline, etc, many of these "universal" fluids work just fine or even improve shifting in a wide range of transmissions.
There are occasions where it does not work (a possibility in this instance) and in those cases, another (either OEM or model specific) fluid should be used.

Originally Posted by nascarnation

Clutch to Clutch transmissions can be VERY sensitive to ATF type! This trans calls for WS.

That's interesting. At Allison, we could run on Dexron or 15W40 motor oil (the Army and some fleets demand that) with no changes, adaptive algorithms did all the compensation. Basically they are looking at slip time profiles and adjusting the pressure to give a correct shift. Sounds like some of the other guys have much narrower range of operational compensation.

Allison adaptations is second to none in that regard. However....... Allisons are HUGE/RPM limited units & Upshift/Downshift slowly compared to a Performance oriented 8-speed unit with a 7,000 RPM input speed capability.

Originally Posted by alchargo
As slacktide and E150gt have already pointed out, I doubt the problem is with the fluid and instead an issue with the transmission itself. There are numerous complaints about the 8L80E and 8L90E describing your exact symptoms. There's even a class action lawsuit against GM, although 2014 models dont appear to be covered at the moment.
https://www.classaction.org/gm-8-speed-transmission-defect-lawsuits

His Cadillac has a Aisin TL-80SN which is closely related to the Aisin AA80E found in many upper end Lexus cars. Shares nothing with GM Powertrian 8Lx0E series units.

If GM could have skated by with Dexron VI in this unit.....I'm sure they would have....Dex VI isn't working so great in the GM 8Lx0E's either.

Though I would check the fluid level before doing anything!!

Yep. + 1000000000%

Originally Posted by alchargo
As slacktide and E150gt have already pointed out, I doubt the problem is with the fluid and instead an issue with the transmission itself. There are numerous complaints about the 8L80E and 8L90E describing your exact symptoms. There's even a class action lawsuit against GM, although 2014 models dont appear to be covered at the moment.
https://www.classaction.org/gm-8-speed-transmission-defect-lawsuits

It's definitely not the transmission itself. I don't know about the issues with this trans on other models, but everyone with the VSport LOVES this transmission (including myself; I think it's the best one I've ever had the pleasure to have in my car), as you can see on the Cadillac forums. The same transmission on different vehicles has different software and they are tuned differently. If someone is complaining about this exact trans on another model, it's software and not the transmission. I know BMW uses, and has used in the past, some GM transmissions and they do the software for the GM transmissions themselves, hence why for the 5L45 transmission, the GM units were having issues, while the BMW utilized ones were not. I know because I had a 2006 Cadillac CTS two cars ago with that trans and did my research. My research didn't do me well with this MaxLife in my car however!

TONS of useful info in this thread about WS-type fluid. Thanks everyone for contributing specs and details on this mysterious fluid.

I'd definitely get that MaxLife ATF out of your transmission ASAP !!!!

Sure, MaxLife ATF is very high quality..... just not the right ATF for your vehicle. Same goes for other high quality ATF that are the wrong choice.

Maxlife is a very good fluid, but I would not use it in the new GM 8 speed, which has been having studder issues with a variety of quality ATF's. I think Mobil1 and Castrol have out specific ATF's for this transmission now, Mobil1 does at the very least. I'd go with that or the OEM stuff.

Originally Posted by GZRider
Maxlife is a very good fluid, but I would not use it in the new GM 8 speed, which has been having studder issues with a variety of quality ATF's. I think Mobil1 and Castrol have out specific ATF's for this transmission now, Mobil1 does at the very least. I'd go with that or the OEM stuff.

The transmission in question is not the GM 8 speed.

Clinebarger is barking up the right tree. GM despises changing fluid configuration. They used Dexcool in Honda engines. If they changed fluid configuration, there's more than meets the eye.

However, Maxlife is NOT a bad fluid. I have trucks with GM, Aisin, Jatco, and ZF transmissions on Maxlife with nearly or greater than 100k miles. Some of the units are over 300k themselves. No issues at all.

Valvoline has a winner. Just night not be right for this application.

Originally Posted by DoubleWasp

A jack of all trades is a master of none though.

Valvoline Maxlife doesn't have approvals either.

Well, that old adage was developed when it comes to people. Inanimate objects are another matter entirely.

If there is something I have been "losing" from using Maxlife, I cannot identify what it is. Doesn't seem anyone else can either.

Originally Posted by AC1DD
Originally Posted by DoubleWasp

A jack of all trades is a master of none though.

Valvoline Maxlife doesn't have approvals either.

This is true. Of course, no one really knows whether Dex VI is the best available for GM transmissions, WF is best available for Toyota, Matic J is best available for Nissan, etc. All we know is that Maxlife works very well in most cases and is very durable. Ditto for Amsoil, Redline, and other non-licensed ATF that seem to work at least as well as OEM in most cases..

Last edited:
Originally Posted by cpayne5
Any update, OP?

New fluid is going in today or tomorrow. Just got back from vacation and appointment is scheduled for today. I'll keep you posted.

And yes, it is the 8 speed transmission, but made by Aisin. Maybe the other poster meant the Aisin and said GM since it's used in some GM vehicles. I've made the same mistake before.

Car is behaving normally again with the WS-type fluid from ACDelco. I guess MaxLife isn't the best option for a WS-type application for anyone wondering. The transmission operated and didn't fail or anything, but it didn't operate as smoothly as it could and it didn't give me confidence in the fluid as being a substitute for factory fluid.

Originally Posted by Bulletbling
Car is behaving normally again with the WS-type fluid from ACDelco. I guess MaxLife isn't the best option for a WS-type application for anyone wondering. The transmission operated and didn't fail or anything, but it didn't operate as smoothly as it could and it didn't give me confidence in the fluid as being a substitute for factory fluid.

It certainly appears that maxlife is not the best choice for this application. We appreciate your trial/error and reporting the outcome!

I hope someone from Valvoline sees your post
smile.gif

Aisin/Toyota transmissions usually aren't this picky
crazy2.gif

It is interesting that Maxlife ATF works well in so many other WS applications, but for whatever reason that model has issues.
Wonder what is different in that transmission?
Wonder how WS from Toyota would have done in it and if any difference in Toyota and ACDelco fluid.

And yes, it is the 8 speed transmission, but made by Aisin. Maybe the other poster meant the Aisin and said GM since it's used in some GM vehicles. I've made the same mistake before.

It is an 8 speed, but not the GM 8 speed, which is the 8L90.

Was the fluid level checked prior to dumping the MaxLife?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back