131 in oil => emissions?

Status
Not open for further replies.

JHZR2

Staff member
Hi,

I need to take my car (91 BMW 318i) for the NJ state dyno emissions test. I really wanted to change my timing chain tensioner before going on a 300 mi trip to my parent's place this wekeend. Since oil will come out, I figured it was a perfect time to change the filter and top off with the right amount of neutra, so it can work while driving hot on the highway.
But, I wonder about the effects of the neutra in oil, as pertaining to overall emissions.
Would neutra in the fuel increase emissions? Id assume that if its cleanign stuff in the cyllinders, it would cause more emssions than if the fuel was only burning.
Does this translate to neutra in the crankcase? Id imagine some slips by and burns (althouh I suppose when the alcohol/esters burn up they would more or less oxygenate the fuel, making less emissions).
Anyone have an idea?
Thanks

JMH

I don't know about Neutra but I know that Auto-Rx will go a long way towards helping your vehicle pass the state emissions test. Take a look at Emissions Masters to see how Auto-Rx has fared in real-world emissions tests. You'll find the phrase "Pollution Solution" on the Auto-Rx bottle, so that should give you an idea why the product was formulated. The manufacturer guarantees the results.

Do all you can do, prior to the emissions test, if you think it might fail. A good motor cleansing worked well for me. Since using Auto-Rx my 90 year model s-10 truck has had the lowest emissions readings since I bought it used in 94. However with any product used get the cleaning job done before you bring the car in. For best results finish the cleaning cycle and rebatch a fresh oil load just prior to your inspection. Same with the fuel system, run a tank full with a good quality fuel system clean, like 131. Spend a little extra and burn some good fuel, minimum 89 octane for your test.Be sure your air filter is clean, and throttle linkages are free and well lubricated. If your plugs have over 25,000 on them, change them out. Some highway miles during the cleaning processes is optimal as well.

Good ring and valve seals are the key to more complete combustion, with the motor properly tuned.

On top of what Rick said I would add that thick oil seals the cylinders better then thin oil. You will get less blowby with 15W50 or 20W50 etc..... then a 5w30.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back