Do solid contaminants in oil effect emissions?

Hi guys,

I've been hammering at this project for a while and am wondering now if solid contaminants actually effect emissions.

I can see how fuel dilution would given any burn off.....but even then modern catalytics should handle it.

I would think now that the biggest contributor to HC and CO2 would just be burning fuel for combustion.

I've been playing with bypass filtration and am wondering if it has an effect on emissions......although I'm think anything above 3-5 micron wouldn't effect emissions like burning fuel vapors from the CC.

I'm looking at the main suspects.

CO2, CO, NOx. Generally I'm reading they're caused by combustion issues.

I've always wondered why clean oil seems to universally improve emissions......possibly removing fuel dilution

The level of ZDDP is correlated to ash levels which can affect catalyst life. Hence why API Fx/SN/SP and ACEA Cx and newer E sequences put tighter controls on ZDDP.

Also, oil can impact PCV systems too. PCV gases are burned by the engine - blow by, fuel and all.

I'm starting to think that the additional emissions we see from dirty oil is more from fuel in the oil than sub 30 micron crud.

It really does make more sense. I'm a bit dissapointed!

Back