123k mile engine and 0w concerns

Status
Not open for further replies.
My engine just passed 123000 miles. I've been using Mobil 1 synthetic oil now for awhile. I've gone back and forth between 0w-30 and 10w-30. I run 10-15k oil changes and do a Blackstone oil report every other oil change just to make sure. As far as I understand 0w-30 seems like the best choice right? No real disadvantages. I'm sure the difference between 0w and 10w are small but don't we all want what's best for the vehicle?

My concern is that I seem to have to add a quart every 10k miles. Now that my engine is getting older do you think it's maybe burning, leaking or eating extra oil? Should I be using a thicker grade at start up temp? Maybe switch to high mileage instead of green cap? Thank you for any input.

Using a quart of oil every 10K miles is pretty good oil consumption. But if you are noticing that the engine is using more oil than it used to, it may be time to go to a High-Mileage oil. Mobil 1 5w30 HM is often noted on this web site to reduce oil consumption. (I am one of the people that do so!) It worked for me.

Originally Posted By: Cristobal
A quart ever 10,000 miles? The engine is still in like-new condition inside. That is nothing.

I agree.
There is NEVER any need to run a heavier oil on start-up. All oil is way too heavier on start-up and the low VI M1 10W-30 is a redundant oil for that very reason.
Stick with the M1 0W-30 and enjoy.

I wish I had a car that could go 10,000 miles and only lose 1 quart.
Everything I have leaks/burns or has to small a sump to do extended drains.

I wouldn't change a thing.

In my life, I personally have owned four cars, and had about seven company cars. I have been married twice and the wives had in all about six cars. Not one, new or used, managed to use only one quart in 10,000 miles, so count yourself lucky.

Personally, I think 1 qt over 10K is pretty much perfect, since it lets you refresh the add pack a couple of times over a longer run. I certainly wouldn't worry about it. FWIW I'm at 120K and using 0W20 in my Ford. The consumption is about the same as with any other oil, about 3/4 qt over 10K.

M1 HM is an option, and the w viscosity on the 5w30 is halfway between 0 and 10!
wink.gif

My LS400 uses 1/2 quarts in around 3-4k miles, E430 doesn't use measurable amount in 12-13k miles, S2000 use less than 1/4 quarts in 5k miles.

Stick with M1 5w30, the 0w30 is a waste unless you live way up in the mountains. There is virtually no difference between M1 5w30 and M1 0w30 until you get to sub-freezing temps. M1 HM is a great oil as well and it definitely won't hurt your engine.

Originally Posted By: chubbs1
Stick with M1 5w30, the 0w30 is a waste unless you live way up in the mountains. There is virtually no difference between M1 5w30 and M1 0w30 until you get to sub-freezing temps. M1 HM is a great oil as well and it definitely won't hurt your engine.

They cost the same, what's the waste?

The 0w has a lower HTHS than the 5w, there is a difference besides cold pumpability. I doubt anyone would see the fuel savings, but over 15,000 miles I'm sure they would be enough for a six pack.

To the OP, 1 quart in 10,000 miles is a pretty reasonable number. Keep on keeping on.

Originally Posted By: bepperb
Originally Posted By: chubbs1

They cost the same, what's the waste?

The 0w has a lower HTHS than the 5w, there is a difference besides cold pumpability. I doubt anyone would see the fuel savings, but over 15,000 miles I'm sure they would be enough for a six pack.

To the OP, 1 quart in 10,000 miles is a pretty reasonable number. Keep on keeping on.

I meant to add the M1 5w30 is on sale right now at AAP and is on sale quite often. I hardly ever see the 0w30 on sale. So it just makes more sense to get the 5w30. Also the 5w30 is dexos1 approved (which isn't really a big deal in your case) so it meets higher standards than most oils. As far as I know the 0w30 is not certified.

1996 V-6 Camry 275,000+ miles. Mobil-1 10W-30 year-round. Driven all its life on the Texas & New Mexico plains (one of the dustiest environments on earth. Oil changed around 7,000 miles, generally (anywhere from 5K to 5K miles. Never even have replaced valve cover gaskets. Oil usage between changes has never exceeded 1/4th quart...and many, many times I still drive in this open country at 80 MPH & above. Testimony to both Toyota engineering and Mobil-1. (1996 is one year prior to the 1MZ-FE becoming infamoudly known as 'sludge prone'). And yes I bought it new and still at age 66 do all my own maintenance.

Last of the good years where you were guaranteed a good car. These days its hit or miss with horrible oil consumption problems. The Lexus folks usually chime in they have no consumption issues, guess you get what you pay for.

Originally Posted By: SargeBB
1996 V-6 Camry 275,000+ miles. Mobil-1 10W-30 year-round. Driven all its life on the Texas & New Mexico plains (one of the dustiest environments on earth. Oil changed around 7,000 miles, generally (anywhere from 5K to 5K miles. Never even have replaced valve cover gaskets. Oil usage between changes has never exceeded 1/4th quart...and many, many times I still drive in this open country at 80 MPH & above. Testimony to both Toyota engineering and Mobil-1. (1996 is one year prior to the 1MZ-FE becoming infamoudly known as 'sludge prone'). And yes I bought it new and still at age 66 do all my own maintenance.

You are my kind of man. I am 67 and retired but have a part time welding busness, still do as much work on my vehicles as possible, use only M1 oils and change it myself. Good for you.

Originally Posted By: circuitsmith
How about using the viscosity your Owner's manual suggests?

It recommends a 30W, he's using a 30W. What exactly is the problem?

Thanks for all the responses! This website is great. So I've been looking up about HTHS and I put all 3 30 weight oils next to each other. Can anyone make sense of this data?

Tdq3k

http://imgur.com/Tdq3k

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back