110K miles on factory filter

K&N filters don't ever get that dirty...because they pass all of the dirt and debris right on through to the motor.

:)

Ed
My son use to have an 04 Impala; we did UOA. K&N air filter had like hundreds of ppm silicon. (I think 20ppm is max per Blackstone or Horizon testing on a "healthy" engine). http://www.ppmoiltesting.com/eval1.html Only change we made was getting rid of K&N air filter and silicon ppm dropped to normal. K&N air filters may have their place on Baja vehicles, but not for street use. If someone gave me a K&N air filter for use on my car today it would go in the trash.

If I was running a vehicle in the Baja 500, I'd be using something more efficienct than a K&N. Plenty of air filters out there these days that can give the flow of a K&N but filter much better.

That's exactly how I feel.

For my vehicle (2019 Toyota Tacoma -3.5L V6), the NAPA Gold Air Filter (Part #: FIL 200085, which is actually WIX Model # WA10085 - https://bit.ly/3bDxRLw ) advertises "When Applicable, The High-Tear Strength Polyurethane Seal Survives Extreme Hot And Cold Temperature Conditions. Air Filter Laboratory Tests Per ISO 5011 At Least 99.5% Efficiency (Based On NAPA # 2389)" Source: https://napaau.to/2ZZfLxA

Ed

Good Lord that’s an ugly filter 😳
I can’t believe anyone would buy a used car with 80K miles and not do a good once over check up and service.
I’d love to see the UOA on that motor

My 2012 Lincoln Hybrid and a LIFETIME AIR FILTER. Yes lifetime, stated so in manual and not accessible to service. part of air intake and estimnated cost to replace, around 500 if needed. From what I have read about these they are multi layered foam and were used on a few models back then. Service departments are clueless on them.

My 2012 Lincoln Hybrid and a LIFETIME AIR FILTER. Yes lifetime, stated so in manual and not accessible to service. part of air intake and estimnated cost to replace, around 500 if needed. From what I have read about these they are multi layered foam and were used on a few models back then. Service departments are clueless on them.

There is a SAE paper #2005-01-1139, "Performance and Benefits of Zero Maintenance Air Induction Systems" written by the designers of the Ford Lifetime Air Filter. The benefits besides saving money on unnecessary filter changes are improved air filter efficiency by allowing the air filter to reach and operate at its highest efficiency (after a precoat is established) and thus providing maximum engine protection. These multi-layered foam air cleaners are designed for over 150K miles life but this depends greatly on ambient dust conditions. Keep driving your Lincoln and check the differential pressure indicator that is installed on the filter housing. All vehicles should be equipped with these filter monitors because that is the only accurate method of determining air filter life.

My ‘05 Focus 2.3L Duratec (same as the Ranger) had a filter like that.

Have seen new car engine air filters at dealer lots with nest , hole ( chewed through ) or both . Scary to think of mice making it inside throttle body and possibly building a nest . Made dealer aware of the engine filter / housing and hopefully they addressed it . Didn't buy the car . There were 3 or 4 others of the same vehicle that had been invaded . They were parked on grass . I always check engine air filter and cabin filters of new / used vehicle of interest . Take a look at them while on test drive .

Last edited:
Last month my friend and I did some basic maintenance on his 2015 Infinity Q50S at 110K miles and we're very certain this filter has never been changed. They bought the car used at ~80K miles a few years ago but never did more maintenance than oil changes and brake pads. The broken pieces at the bottom left of the picture was the filter crumbling with just a slight squeeze.

Car doesn't hesitate anymore, well because of obvious reasons now.

View attachment 42580
Boy it looks like he was getting near to 100% efficiency at zero microns.

Any chance the car spent time in the California wildfires? scorch marks on the exterior?

I don't believe so, I think it was a lease or company vehicle before but it definitely was in a passenger side collision, the paint is different and peeling around the door handles, pilken passenger windows, and the gas tank door is pushed in.

That's nothing; i know someone who ran their original fuel filter past 140k miles on their VW TDI and it was still running!

Talk about 100% filtering efficiency at 0 microns... she was surprised when I told her it needed changing every 20k

Attachments

• 807F1907-EBBC-4F5D-BDD3-CCC0FA7D5D46.jpeg
    807F1907-EBBC-4F5D-BDD3-CCC0FA7D5D46.jpeg
    62.5 KB · Views: 14
Back