110K miles on factory filter

Pew

Last month my friend and I did some basic maintenance on his 2015 Infinity Q50S at 110K miles and we're very certain this filter has never been changed. They bought the car used at ~80K miles a few years ago but never did more maintenance than oil changes and brake pads. The broken pieces at the bottom left of the picture was the filter crumbling with just a slight squeeze.

Car doesn't hesitate anymore, well because of obvious reasons now.

1611639002458.png

Last edited:
Took my BMW X1 filter out at 30K miles in dusty desert town. It had some sand looking dirt that poured right off, and looked pretty clean, so I'll run and put new about 50k. Pretty sure I'm not taking a bad shortcut.

To Pew: If this is what you found during "basic maintenance", some "deeper than basic" maintenance might be prudent.

Yea we ended up doing spark plugs, oil change, PF wheel bearing, and transfer case fluid the week after this. Eventually I'll help him do the transmission and rear diff fluids as well - probably when it gets warmer outside.

It's a nice looking car; unfortunately I don't think the salesman gave them a carfax because I noticed the car was in an accident. The passenger windows are Pilken, paint is peeling off the passenger-rear door by the handle, and the gas tank door isn't flush with the body.

Got his money's worth. Cash saving tip!

OEM air filter = super duper tough...

Good 100,000 miles guaranteed... :LOL:

Kind of like when my co workers and me told another co worker Marshall he could invent 100 hour underwear... Because he was routinely working 100 hours a week. So he could market 100 hr underwear for being tough enough and good enough for that type of crazy work schedule.

Your replies are funny. I guess this could be some sort of ad for "buy OEM!"

Last month my friend and I did some basic maintenance on his 2015 Infinity Q50S at 110K miles and we're very certain this filter has never been changed. They bought the car used at ~80K miles a few years ago but never did more maintenance than oil changes and brake pads. The broken pieces at the bottom left of the picture was the filter crumbling with just a slight squeeze.

Car doesn't hesitate anymore, well because of obvious reasons now.

View attachment 42580
In the 5-6 years since the vehicle was new nobody tried to upsell an air filter? Where was service done before they got it at 80k and did no one even check prior service records?

In the 5-6 years since the vehicle was new nobody tried to upsell an air filter? Where was service done before they got it at 80k and did no one even check prior service records?

No, long story short my friend that bought it (being a gear head himself) bought it on impulse and shortly thereafter neglected basic maintenance because of other life issues. We think it was a lease but other than that there's zero information on the car and no carfax was shown; maybe AutoCheck but AC sucks at reporting insurance claims compared to Carfax.

Back