10W30 Castrol Edge EP w/ Ti - track use?

Status
Not open for further replies.
2011 Mazda2, daily driven and auto-xed extensively, been running 0W20 PP with great results.

Previous UOAs here

Currently awaiting a UOA of 0W20 Castrol Edge with 100+ auto-x runs on it too, FWIW.

I have a track event coming up on Oct 29th... It's not multiple 20min continuous sessions type deal, it's single lap standing start time attack... Will probably have 15-20 laps on the 2 mile road course, probably little time between runs.

I'm considering running a heavier oil for this event, and as luck would have it, one of the vendors at work is liquidating their 10W30 Castrol Edge Extended Protection with Ti at 2.70/qt.

For the record, in other countries, the 1.5MZR is spec'd for 5W30, 10W30, and 10W40 even.

My normal driving is 85mi commute round trip, so with minimal short tripping, 10W30 shouldn't have a massive effect I'd imagine? And 10W30 should hold viscosity better with heat over time correct?

I can always use some 0W30 but the price difference is tempting.

WWBITOGD?

I'd use it. NOACK of 8.5% I believe and it's a very well formulated oil.

If you are going to run it in oct get it in there now.

You may consider Magnetec 5w30 SS, that special sauce in there is magical.

Run Castrol 0W30. It has HTHS 3.58cp and it is better then ANY ACEA A1/A5.
However, it might be an overkill.
If you are concerned about "track" (like someone said, that is really not track) why you do not get Redline 0W20?

Originally Posted By: buster

Thanks

Originally Posted By: Ohle_Manezzini
2 minutes runs don't even make the oil hot to break down. That's not really a track time.

Yeah, which is why I'm not looking to run a 40wt oil. These cars have no oil cooler stock, and if there is only 3-4 min between laps, I'm sure it'll get a bit hotter than during auto-x.

These things make 100hp, I'll be spending a LOT more time at WOT on the straights than anyone else... Haha.

FWIW there MAY be an HPDE the day after, but it's up in the air, and I still may not run that depending on tire life.

Originally Posted By: ARCOgraphite

Magnatec better than full syn Edge? Any links for further reading you want to point me to? I put some in my MILs Pathfinder, and will be getting some for my wife's DI 2.4L Equinox next time around... Just haven't heard of it being recommended for hard use. Thanks!

Originally Posted By: edyvw
If you are concerned about "track" (like someone said, that is really not track) why you do not get Redline 0W20?

Eh, I don't really believe the boutique oils have much to offer over the big oil companies. I was actually planning to run Redline when I first started doing UOAs, but the low #s returned are pretty tough to improve on IMO and feel it's not necessary.

You responded while I was typing a reply.

Main reason bumping to a 30wt, is that is what is specified in the rest of the world, so it's not like it's "too thick" for the engine. Even 10w40 is specified in some countries in Europe IIRC.

Magnatec is NOT better then Edge.
If you want something capable, get Castrol 0W30 as it runs great in cars such as M3/4 not to mention Mazda 2. Now take into consideration that heavier oil is, and higher HTHS it will create more resistance on your engine which again is not good for track time. That is why I said you might go with Redline 0W20 or 5W20.
Also, keep your heating on MAX with ventilation on MAX to allow additional heat exchange.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: flatlander757
Originally Posted By: edyvw

Eh, I don't really believe the boutique oils have much to offer over the big oil companies. I was actually planning to run Redline when I first started doing UOAs, but the low #s returned are pretty tough to improve on IMO and feel it's not necessary.

You responded while I was typing a reply.

Main reason bumping to a 30wt, is that is what is specified in the rest of the world, so it's not like it's "too thick" for the engine. Even 10w40 is specified in some countries in Europe IIRC.

Then I would go with Castrol 0W30 without thinking. I know that Mazda is specd. for heavier oil in Europe.
HTHS is 3.58cp, NOACK 8.1%, so really you cannot find better W30 oil on the market though 0W30 Castrol is almost 0W40.

Originally Posted By: flatlander757
Originally Posted By: buster

Thanks

Originally Posted By: Ohle_Manezzini
2 minutes runs don't even make the oil hot to break down. That's not really a track time.

Yeah, which is why I'm not looking to run a 40wt oil. These cars have no oil cooler stock, and if there is only 3-4 min between laps, I'm sure it'll get a bit hotter than during auto-x.

These things make 100hp, I'll be spending a LOT more time at WOT on the straights than anyone else... Haha.

FWIW there MAY be an HPDE the day after, but it's up in the air, and I still may not run that depending on tire life.

Originally Posted By: ARCOgraphite

Magnatec better than full syn Edge? Any links for further reading you want to point me to? I put some in my MILs Pathfinder, and will be getting some for my wife's DI 2.4L Equinox next time around... Just haven't heard of it being recommended for hard use. Thanks!

Magnatec 0W20 and 5W20 are Synthetic and 5/10W30 are blends here. Either way, no US Magnatec is better than the Edge 10W30 EP you ask about or the 0W30 edyvw is recommending for track use. I would go with either of the last two.

If the OP is running flat out for 2 minutes without a cooler it is quite possible oil temps could be quite hot, all be it briefly unless sessions are longer. I can go from 200~ F to 270 in 90 seconds with reasonable repeatability and often bump above 290 in my current NA track rat.

Well, I asked a couple B-Spec Mazda2 racers what they use... One runs 5W20 Amsoil Dominator... The other runs 0W20 Mobil1 Extended Performance. For full races. No engine failures from either after multiple seasons. The guy who runs M1 changes it after 3 race hours.

So in a strange turn of events, I'll continue with PP 0W20 and take a UOA afterwards.

I will probably buy 5qts of the 10W30 Castrol at $2.70/qt for future use in something though
smile.gif

If you are happy with PP 0W-20 then Edge 10W-30 takes it up a notch with out going over the top and using a 40 grade oil.

I vote for your first plan of Edge 10W-30, it sounded like a good idea to me.

In hunting I was taught that the first aim is the best aim.

I ran the MAGNATEC AND edge BACK TO BACK; I DRIVE IN "RACE MODE" ALL THE TIME. I'm TYP AT 105MPH ON THE INTERSTATE GETTING ONTO THE RAMP AT FULL THROTTLE TO A BUCK. FORGET THE SPECS, THE MAGNETEC RUNS GREAT IN THE ENGINE. NOT A 10k MILE OIL BUT AN AWESOME 5k MILE OIL WITH " BETTER THAN SYNTHETIC" PERFORMANCE AND FEEL AND SOUND.

there ARE BETTER 0W30 acea a3 OILS THAN CASTROL FROM MY EXPERIENCE.

mOTUL FOR ONE. tHE CURRENT DAIMLER SPEC IS ONE OF THE MOST DEMANDING IN THE INDUSTRY.

Well, I am actually going to skip the Gripfest event(the standing start single lap at a time event) and am just going to do the HPDE instead. Both events cost the same, so $175 for maybe 10 laps.... Or $175 for four 20min lapping sessions.

No brainer.

And the Castrol 10W30 temptation was too great, I got 5 quarts for $13.50, plus a Fram Ultra 7713(oversized vs the 6607 stock size), going in tomorrow, with the lapping event in 2 weeks. I'm sure it would be fine with 0W20, but I'd rather err a bit on the safe side. And it's cheap enough I'll probably dump it early to refill with leftover 0w20 PP and Castrol from previous oil changes.

Quick follow-up: I did the track day, we got SIX 25 to 30 min sessions. I put 167 miles on the car and had a blast. No overheating, no ticking or knocking, etc.

Here's a short video of the day, I will post a UOA when I send it out. I'll probably still run it the full 5k(3k to go).

And a pic someone got of me getting ready to come off track(fist out the window to signal for others).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back