10w-30 vs. 5w-30

Status
Not open for further replies.
The 1995 Dodge Neon owners manual suggests using 5w-30 (prefer) oil. There is a chart indicating 10W-30 is acceptable too.

Is there much of a difference between 5w-30 and 10w-30 oil? The car has 116,000 miles.

A person I know who owns a shop puts 10w-30 in all cars he works on (says it is about the same as 5W-30).

-John

Depends on the maker. Some X-30's are like a thick 20 weight. But if brands are the same, the 10W are a little thicker than the 5W's. In general, you'd use a 10W in the summer and a 5W in the winter, especially where your located at. Also in general, as a engine ages, it usually will burn more oil. One way to slow that process down is to go to a thicker oil, like a 10W-40 or even a 15W-40 or 50. Some Saturn owners here do exactly that and have been happy with it and UOA's to prove it. Usually a 10W-30 is safest for almost all engine. Notice I said almost and not all.

I'd use 5w-30 in NY winters because it flows better when cold.

If the same brand, a 10W-30 contains less viscosity index improvers than 5w-30, so it may have less tendency to shear down to a lower viscosity as the miles add up.

Ken

[ August 12, 2003, 04:29 PM: Message edited by: Ken2 ]

Well the requirement is that a 5W oil needs to have a dynamic viscosity no greater than 3500 centipois at -25C. A 10W oil neeeds to have the same thickness at no greater than -20C. Naturally the 5W will be a little thinner up to 100C. At 100C and greater they will theoretically have the same viscosity.

A 10W-30 oil will be more stable (will not break down, and become thinner) as much as a 5W-30 oil. A pure synthetic oil will generally be more stable than a non synthetic oil. The main reason that car manufactures require a 5W oil is that they need to assume Joe sixpack might put in a dino oil at the wrong time.

Now on the other hand the 10W-30 Mobil 1 and Amsoil would be OK at even say -15F .

My 97 Neon now has over 144,000 miles on it, virtually all on 10w30 oil.(I drained the factory oil at 1,295 miles). In NY, I'd choose the 5w30 for cold weather, & run the 10w30 in the summers. Here in Texas, with one exception, I've run 10w30 all year since I've bought it new.

quote:

Originally posted by Schmoe:
Depends on the maker.

I had some Pennzoil 10W-30 in the garage along with Napa 10W-30. When I shook the bottles, it seemed as though the Pennzoil was thicker at room temp
confused.gif
Maybe it was just me
dunno.gif

I just changed it with Napa 10w-30 and a Wal-mart Super-Tech oil filter
smile.gif
Gawd... I sat there for 15 minutes deciding to use the Napa or Pennzoil
grin.gif
(two cases each with 6 bottles left)

Thanks,
John
cool.gif

DUDE!!!!! I saw you there!!! Just looking and wondering!!!!!
lol.gif
just kidding. You think that's bad, ask my wife when we go to Walmart, she knows exactly where I'm at, the Oil Section. But hey, it's better than hanging out at the lingere section!!!! (I think
shocked.gif
grin.gif
)

welcome.gif
I think the advice many have given above is right on the money. 10w30 for warm seasons, 5w30 for cold seasons. Schmoe, my wife and I have the same agreement at wally world. Come to automotive and get me when you're done!
grin.gif

hub, around here, south eastern va, the napa oils are manufactured by valvoline. probably elsewhere as well. penz.

I personally like 10w-30 for the 4 cylinder year round since I live in Hotlanta. In the Northeast, I would go with 5w-30 from November to April and 10w-30 the other warmer months.

quote:

Originally posted by jsharp:

quote:

Originally posted by Schmoe:
But hey, it's better than hanging out at the lingere section!!!! (I think
shocked.gif
grin.gif
)

Sorry, we'll have to disagree on this one...
grin.gif

Wouldn't it be great if Victoria's Secret could also carry oil - think of the time and money you could spend there...
wink.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back