10k mile oils (non extended life oils) - are they all capable?

Excluding the extended life oils such as M1 AP, can all of the main players go 10k miles? Asking for use in a Tacoma 3.5L V6 D4S. Can VAS, QSUD, Castrol Edge, M1, PP etc... all go the 10k OCI for this vehicle without issues, or are there any that I should shy away from? I've done some searching, and I *think* they'd all be ok, but just checking to see if there's anything I'm missing before I select an oil for the new Tacoma.

I don’t see why not. I ran Schaeffer 5w40 out to 7000+ and the oil analysis showed it was just fine although I didn’t get a TBN. This was a 1994 Toyota Tercel. I think the most important thing is to pick one and run some analysis. There isn’t a one size fits all answer to your question.

Most full synth oil could probably go 10k miles. If your owner's manual says you can, then I'd at least change the filter at 5k miles. Otherwise, follow the manual. I personally wouldn't push it that far, but you do you.

Most full synth oil could probably go 10k miles. If your owner's manual says you can, then I'd at least change the filter at 5k miles. Otherwise, follow the manual. I personally wouldn't push it that far, but you do you.
Here's the way I roll - life is busy, right? I'll go around 7k, then after that, it's when I have time (I'm a rotating shift worker with a 5yr old), and it usually ends up around 8k. I doubt I'd go 10k ever unless dictated by a crisis and I just couldn't get to it before that time. I'm just making sure I'm not picking one of these and it's known to truly struggle when pushing the 10k mile mark. I do realize driving habits and such play a role in this.

Except for it's 1st 2 dealer oil changes under Toyota Care, my neighbor's '12 Camry has seen SuperTech 0/20 exclusively at 10k OCIs it's entire life. It now sits at nearly 10 years old and 175k miles. No issues

Except for it's 1st 2 dealer oil changes under Toyota Care, my neighbor's '12 Camry has seen SuperTech 0/20 exclusively at 10k OCIs it's entire life. It now sits at nearly 10 years old and 175k miles. No issues
Ever do an analysis on that oil after a change?

This depends on the engine and the manufacturers OCI recommendation. Some like HK GDI absolutely not, but others like Toyota that specify 10k in the OM are no problem.

a lot depends on your driving habits + if you intend to keep your ride a long time aka over 100 thou, BUT if in doubt change it as DIY oil changes are CHEEP!! many owners trade often to keep ahead of costly $$$$ wear items in newer vehicles, electronics included, as everything has a life cycle + todays more complicated vehicles are more $$$$ than ever to repair

If the interval in your owners manual is less than 10,000 miles, I would run the oil you're considering and sample it at the manufacturer's stated interval (through Blackstone or another service), so you can get some solid data back on if that oil is a good fit and if a 10k interval is actually do-able for your engine, climate, and driving habits. If the service says you can extend your interval because your engine isn't producing wear particles, the TBN is still >1.0, and the viscosity is still within spec for the grade, then step it up with the additional peace of mind.

If the interval in your owners manual is 10,000 miles or more, I would pull a sample at 7,500 to make sure it's still appropriate to run it up to 10,000 miles.

At the end of the day, oil and filters are pennies to the pound of replacing your engine. Just because the bottle or box says you can go up to 10, 15, 20k miles, that doesn't mean that you should in your application.

Ever do an analysis on that oil after a change?
Oh no. I'm confident he never has. But I've personally done many of the OCs for him....with his supplied products. And I always check the oil 1st. It's never down more than a 1/4 quart....if that after 10k miles

Excluding the extended life oils such as M1 AP, can all of the main players go 10k miles? Asking for use in a Tacoma 3.5L V6 D4S. Can VAS, QSUD, Castrol Edge, M1, PP etc... all go the 10k OCI for this vehicle without issues, or are there any that I should shy away from? I've done some searching, and I *think* they'd all be ok, but just checking to see if there's anything I'm missing before I select an oil for the new Tacoma.
I would follow the Owner's Manual per your driving conditions. If you want to go further. I would consider a UOA. Best of luck. Let us know what you decide and how it works.

Wouldn’t exceed owner’s manual.

Probably any synthetic would give you plenty of extra margin right up to that point assuming a decent oil filter.

I’d turn to the page dealing with the other fluids. There’s a 5x spread between heavy duty use and normal change interval for the differential on my Ford. Color me skeptical about that.

Toyota recommends a GF-5 0w20 oil.... Not too many non-synthetic 0w20's available at local autpart stores or malwart.
Any oil that meets that requirement should have no issue making the recommended oil change intervals. The real question you should ask is whether you trust Toyota's time/mileage interval, or if you're so sure that none of your driving is special/severe service.

Everything else on the oil bottle is meaningless marketing for sheeple minded consumers.

Yes. Toyota started over 10 years ago using ANY GF5 for 10k. 99% of Toyota ownere dont visit here or any other site.

I don't here any issues from Toyotas blowing up.

Back