10,000mi OCI for a 2020 4Runner?

Status
Not open for further replies.
[/quote]

I wouldn't mind doing it every 5K at all which would be about once a year, just trying to justify a 10k cycle which would push 2 years, although 2 years seems quite long.
[/quote]

It's 10k miles or 1 year which ever comes first as stated in the owners manual. 2 years on the same oil is way too long to the point you risk serious oxidation. I don't recommend the 10k mile change even. Remember toyota is in the business of selling cars, as long as it gets past the warranty period that's all they care about. I recommend changing every 4-5k miles. If you want to push it further take a sample and send it to blackstone labs then start pushing up 1k increments as long as you get the same wear levels. Remember everyone drives in different conditions and wear levels will differ between cars. I like using fram ultra filters too as I find the oem Toyota filters on the cheap side

I've been doing 10,000-mile oil changes for years on my 4.0 Tacoma in my sig that now has 223K+, using Mobil 1 Extended Performance. But my engine originally specified 5W-30, and I've always used either that or 10W-30 Mobil 1.

I know it's a new engine, but I'd be more wary of doing 10K OCIs on 0W-20. Especially if you like to romp on it a little bit and take it to redline from time to time like I do.

The oil is only going to lose viscosity over the oil change interval. And, the lower the viscosity, the less protection you have.

If you're not worried about the warranty implications, or you think the dealer wouldn't ask for receipts and try to look for a reason to deny coverage in the unlikely event that you had a serious engine problem, I'd say go on and run a 30 weight full synthetic like M1-EP or Edge EP for the 10,000 miles. Especially if the truck is going to see plenty of highway miles.

If it sees mostly short trips, I wouldn't do it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back