1 year mark with Nokian WR G2 SUV

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is my one year update on Nokian WR G2 SUV. Its an H-rated all-season that is apparently winter tire rated with a snowflake that it meets something for snow tires.

The tires was a tad pricey $860 for a 07 Acura MDX. I feel they were a tad squishy on dry cornering compared to prior Michelin's and slightly noiser. However prior Michelin Latitudes were $1200!!!

Finally these recent 6' of snow in the last month in coastal NH these tires are simply amazing on winter stuff. My MDX goes through any conditions without any serious drama or slip. It has a trick AWD system (SH-AWD which can kick power to individual wheels) but it never performed that great with all-season Michelin's on winter stuff.

I was nervous about the Made in Russia on tires but they really are decent. The wear at 18k usage appears like they last the 50k rating. I would buy them again based on this winter.

Thanks for the update. Do you use them all year long or only during winter?

Quote:
I feel they were a tad squishy on dry cornering compared to prior Michelin's and slightly noiser.

Wife has the Hakka R2 SUV on her vehicle. They are only R-rated, so I thought they'd be very squishy, but surprisingly they are not. Alas, my comment is only based on low winter driving temps.

My experience with these tires on a FWD 2011 Sorento is just OK, versus experience with Blizzaks on other vehicles.
- Not very good dry traction
- Very harsh ride
- Front wheel traction while turning in snow about average
- Had troubles balancing the tires

I have the exact same tires on my Forester. My experience with them in snow and slush etc is very good. However, I think they are a little too heavy duty for my application and intended for much heavier vehicles. 103XL load index supposedly means reinforced sidewalls (?) If I run them above 29 psi front 27 rear they get harsh and traction starts taking a dive. The problem with that is temperature fluctuations, it leaves a narrow window before they lose enough psi due to a cold snap and the LTPWS light illuminates on the rears (for anything < 25 psi on my car). Hunter Road Force balance was required to smooth them out. They are stamped Made in Russia.

Intent is to stick with Nokian WR's for my next set but will go with the car version next time around due to my Forester's relatively light weight. Nokian WR's are about THE only all season tire that actually perform decent in serious winter weather. Of course Blizzaks or X-Ice's are going to out perform in snow and ice but try running them in the summer...

I run mine year round.

I concur these may not optimal for FWD as winter tires however my AWD they enhance the driving greatly. My AWD(SH-AWD) turning actually has a trick system that kicks power to either rear wheel 100% to stabilize the car and they work brilliantly.

I guess I was lucky with balancing as place I went used old school stuff. The same slight vibration when I had Michelin's is still there but different speed with Nokians. I assume a vehicle problem.

The ride while not as nice as Michelin's is not what I consider harsh just bumpier and slightly noiser.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back