1 in 3 Americans cannot afford a car repair

Status
Not open for further replies.
The very vast majority of US citizens don't, and nobody in Tennessee,has access to this. And taking a trip, vacation or otherwise, is not even in the realm of existence for many Americans

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: dlayman
Originally Posted By: Mr Nice
dlayman,

The American Dream is still alive and doing well in 2017.

Not being rude... but why are you so negative ?

I don't take you as rude. Your opinion on this might be different if you were of a different age, I expect you are close to my age, 55. Things are much different than they were a couple or few decades ago. If I explain my position in any further detail, it will turn into a political thread and be locked, which would hinder further discussion. Feel free to PM me to discuss in further detail.

I'm 53. I sent you a PM.

The very vast majority of US citizens don't, and nobody in Tennessee,has access to this. And taking a trip, vacation or otherwise, is not even in the realm of existence for many Americans

Which is too bad. I sure as [censored] wouldn't own a car if I could take a bus to work.

Originally Posted By: Falcon_LS
Coming from a guy with "Constancy" tires on his '16 Expedition, buying API SJ rated SAE 40 motor oil.

Looxury!

4000 dollars is WAY beyond what the poor working class can afford in today's economy and society. Especially if they, as they should, place more priority on their own health, than that of their cars. Many many people are tied to high deductible health insurance through their employers or otherwise and need to budget for that first. Very easy for those who don't face these challenges to point fingers at those who do. And yet many of the people who face these challenges work many more hours than those who accuse them.

From someone who has a good job, a good degree, a good salary, and drives a 1.5k beater to work every day.

That's a little judgy. 4k is 16k less than a new stripper chevy cruze. 1.5k is 18.5k less. Either buyer saved a bundle. A $4k car can be driven a few years and still be a $1.5k car. By the time we're in this cheap, fees like insurance and fuel start to eclipse depreciation. The $4k car buyer has less competition and will get the cash deal from someone who refused to trade in, b/c the dealer assumes noone will pay $4k in cash private party, and lowballed the guy.

Originally Posted By: Tony10s
Originally Posted By: CKN
Love these judgmental threads...............
whistle.gif

Originally Posted By: Blueskies123
There but for grace of God go I...

My $4000 Honda / Acura are ultra reliable, no need to buy a something that put the person in a financial bind to get reliability.

4000 dollars is WAY beyond what the poor working class can afford in today's economy and society. Especially if they, as they should, place more priority on their own health, than that of their cars. Many many people are tied to high deductible health insurance through their employers or otherwise and need to budget for that first. Very easy for those who don't face these challenges to point fingers at those who do. And yet many of the people who face these challenges work many more hours than those who accuse them.

From someone who has a good job, a good degree, a good salary, and drives a 1.5k beater to work every day.

+1 to dlayman, CKN, and Blueskies123

I cannot walk in someone else's shoes, and I cannot know all of their circumstances and what they are going through. I don't judge people, and I expect the same in return. None of us are in a position to place judgements on other people. A little compassion, a little understanding goes a long way.

Pretty much spot on. I've seen so much, both good in bad, that I cannot judge anymore....you truly just never know....

Originally Posted By: Vern_in_IL
In the USA, a car is a top priority, even more so than your home. Reliable travel is very important, freedom of travel, a constitutional right.

My $4000 Honda / Acura are ultra reliable, no need to buy a something that put the person in a financial bind to get reliability.

Making HDHP's the culprit is almost laughable. I have an HDHP and save for the deductible by putting my own tax free money in an HSA. With the savings accounted for, its still less per year than Id be paying in premiums for a regular plan.

Originally Posted By: eljefino

That's a little judgy. 4k is 16k less than a new stripper chevy cruze. 1.5k is 18.5k less. Either buyer saved a bundle. A $4k car can be driven a few years and still be a $1.5k car. By the time we're in this cheap, fees like insurance and fuel start to eclipse depreciation. The $4k car buyer has less competition and will get the cash deal from someone who refused to trade in, b/c the dealer assumes noone will pay $4k in cash private party, and lowballed the guy.

Not meant to be judgy. Just that I know many people who work hard and earn minimum wage or close to it. It's very hard for them to afford any car and have no access to public transport. So they buy the cheapest thing they can and it costs them in repair bills etc. I have a 2015 car, that I didn't pay anywhere close to 20k for, more like 15, as well as my beater, drive 50 miles to work, so I take advantage of the non depreciation of the beater as much as possible. But it does require more frequent repairs. And it's nice to have an old beater in the Northeast winters. I don't have it so bad, but many do.

Originally Posted By: MinamiKotaro
In the USA, a car is a top priority, even more so than your home. Reliable travel is very important, freedom of travel, a constitutional right.

If you live somewhere with public transportation, a car is a waste of money.

Depends. If you only use a car to get from point A to point B and public transportation is available that suits your needs, then yes, a car may be a waste of money...if you're a car guy like me who has a passion for them and uses certain cars as toys/hobby, or if you just enjoy tasking care of them, that's different...

Originally Posted By: grampi
Originally Posted By: MinamiKotaro

If you live somewhere with public transportation, a car is a waste of money.

Depends. If you only use a car to get from point A to point B and public transportation is available that suits your needs, then yes, a car may be a waste of money...if you're a car guy like me who has a passion for them and uses certain cars as toys/hobby, or if you just enjoy tasking care of them, that's different...

If you're a car guy like you, and have no money, then you have no business making excuses as to what kind of guy you are when you can't afford to buy basic necessities. If a car is viable, it doesn't give the green light to meet any emotion whatsoever.

And note using "you" is rhetorical. I have no idea of your (grampi's) situation.

I believe this is from a number of reasons that all compound into one:

1. People buy cars they can barely afford/can't afford.

2. Maintenance to many people means changing the oil "when they remember", and that's it.

3. Cars are increasing in complexity. That means when maintenance is neglected, repairs are more common, and more expensive.

The bottom line is cars are expensive. Many people don't understand cars, and therefore are unable to prepare for potential maintenance costs and breakdowns.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back