1 in 3 Americans cannot afford a car repair

Status
Not open for further replies.
It is scary, but most Americans live beyond their means. When you are paycheck to paycheck it is disastrous to get a large repair bill.

As for my payment vs. fix analysis, my general rule is that when my yearly repair costs creep above half of what a new car payment would be, it is time to start looking. At that point my time+money is more valuable.

Also, it is hard to argue with 0-1.9% interest that is so easily available these days.

I feel sorry for the people who have no desire or talent to work on their own vehicles. They will be continuously saddled with bills to fix their car.

One can save a lot of money only if they are willing to get on the ground, crawl under their car, and withstand a few bruised knuckles. Some are unable, but for many it's a choice.

My young niece has chosen a lifestyle that puts her in New York City. She doesn't have a car. No need for a car payment, insurance, repairs, parking, registration, or gas.

My blown Cummins turbo was $4K all said and done. At least they honored my 15% Costco discount
thumbsup2.gif

Originally Posted By: Kestas
I feel sorry for the people who have no desire or talent to work on their own vehicles. They will be continuously saddled with bills to fix their car.

One can save a lot of money only if they are willing to get on the ground, crawl under their car, and withstand a few bruised knuckles. Some are unable, but for many it's a choice.

My young niece has chosen a lifestyle that puts her in New York City. She doesn't have a car. No need for a car payment, insurance, repairs, parking, registration, or gas.

Feel sorry for those who are no longer able to repair their cars because of age or health!

Bout all I can accomplish anymore is change my oil & filter and tranny fluid. Can't even stand long enough to change spark plugs.

But then I also buy my tires from Best Used Tires in PA. Have done it for years and they come shipped free to my door for free/part of the cost!

Wife and I use Trak Fones, cost $7.00 bucks a month!

Comcast 200+ channels with 2 preminums, high speed internet, and full long distance phone service, all for $130. bucks a month.

I pay cash for all my vehicles, and have since my new 72 vette.

Also have a large screen TV, paid cash for.

And last of all, we own our own home, paid for and has been since 1989.

I'm now 73, retired at 58, live on a pension, life is good!

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Michael_P
Hence the reason; My neighbor fixed it for me cheap.

RedneckRepairKit.jpg

Crankcase breather optional.

I was wondering why your UOA had a very high level of sodium.
lol.gif
lol.gif

Originally Posted By: Vern_in_IL
In the USA, a car is a top priority, even more so than your home. Reliable travel is very important, freedom of travel, a constitutional right.

My $4000 Honda / Acura are ultra reliable, no need to buy a something that put the person in a financial bind to get reliability.

Originally Posted By: Mr Nice
In the USA, a car is a top priority, even more so than your home. Reliable travel is very important, freedom of travel, a constitutional right.

My $4000 Honda / Acura are ultra reliable, no need to buy a something that put the person in a financial bind to get reliability.

4000 dollars is WAY beyond what the poor working class can afford in today's economy and society. Especially if they, as they should, place more priority on their own health, than that of their cars. Many many people are tied to high deductible health insurance through their employers or otherwise and need to budget for that first. Very easy for those who don't face these challenges to point fingers at those who do. And yet many of the people who face these challenges work many more hours than those who accuse them.

From someone who has a good job, a good degree, a good salary, and drives a 1.5k beater to work every day.

My wife and I have middle class government jobs, and I know lots of people who are one missed paycheck away from a disaster.

We have cut our expenses, what is killing us and other people our age (30's) is Student Loan debt.

Wife has a high dollar degree and a low dollar social work job. Just didn't pan out for her. All in all, we pay $700 per month for student loans.

At tax time we only get to write off $2500 in interest, and we pay over $8000 per year in interest.

We don't have cable TV, or high dollar cell phones, or anything like that.

Re. TVs....I have an 8-yr old DLP TV that needed an $85 bulb a few years ago...pic is still like-new....

Re. car repairs...I budget for that $500/yr repair bill, but have been lucky to have gotten away with $280/yr average repairs (excl maintenance) since 2012 on a (now) 12-yr old Camry...
Such a nice deal that I've spend another $300 a year for extras (new paint, new DVD/rear view cam) that will keep the car "fresh" for another 4 years...not bad for a $7000 car bought with a $5k/4yr loan @ 3%...now paid off.

Originally Posted By: KitaCam
Re. TVs....I have an 8-yr old DLP TV that needed an $85 bulb a few years ago...pic is still like-new....

Re. car repairs...I budget for that $500/yr repair bill, but have been lucky to have gotten away with $280/yr average repairs (excl maintenance) since 2012 on a (now) 12-yr old Camry...
Such a nice deal that I've spend another $300 a year for extras (new paint, new DVD/rear view cam) that will keep the car "fresh" for another 4 years...not bad for a $7000 car bought with a $5k/4yr loan @ 3%...now paid off.

You're extremely fortunate that you have experienced only 280 per year for repairs on such an old car. A Camry is a much better than average car per repairs and as such commands a premium purchase price relative to others. Many hard working but low paid people are forced to purchase a lower reliability vehicle which comes at a lower initial purchase price.

You and your wife sound like a very hard working coupme that have tried their best to do the right thing and to live the American Dream, which is pretty much dead. Sorry to make it political, but I really didn't, it was that from the initial post, and the reason that so many OT threads end up locked.

I've been on both sides of the money fence. Priorities are important depending on the amount of money a family/person makes. Needs are just that, if you can afford luxuries then I guess go for it, if you can't then live with what you need. We had a lot of money before kids. We went many years living paycheck to paycheck doing without to raise a family the way my wife and I thought was correct. We didn't have much for many years, now things are much better and have been for many years.

We buy new or certified pre owned cars because I don't work on cars and need them to be reliable. We keep them for as long as we can - our strategy has paid off for us so far. We had (have) credit cards if something major happened and needed something repaired. Nobody "trained" us on how to manage our money but we muddled through and were successful. We live within our means and taught our boys to do the same; earning less money equals a more frugal lifestyle.

I know lots of people who have low paying jobs - some get it some don't. You can't help anyone who thinks making low wages = living like you make big bucks. Some of the low wage earners have houses so they obviously know how to budget their money. You can't budget for future expenses if you are living paycheck to paycheck and can't see the need to earn a little more (2nd job or work OT if available) to get ahead. Personal pride and work ethic is what drives people to succeed with some succeeding more than others. I believe that anyone who is poor, has their priorities correct and needs their car to get to their job will find a way to pay for the repair; the ones that don't have their priorities straight will complain "it's not fair".

Originally Posted By: jcwit
Originally Posted By: Kestas

Feel sorry for those who are no longer able to repair their cars because of age or health!

Bout all I can accomplish anymore is change my oil & filter and tranny fluid. Can't even stand long enough to change spark plugs.

But then I also buy my tires from Best Used Tires in PA. Have done it for years and they come shipped free to my door for free/part of the cost!

Wife and I use Trak Fones, cost $7.00 bucks a month!

Comcast 200+ channels with 2 preminums, high speed internet, and full long distance phone service, all for $130. bucks a month.

I pay cash for all my vehicles, and have since my new 72 vette.

Also have a large screen TV, paid cash for.

And last of all, we own our own home, paid for and has been since 1989.

I'm now 73, retired at 58, live on a pension, life is good!

I plan on doing my own maintenance (the stuff I know how to do) for as long as I'm physically able. Not only does it save me a ton by not having to pay others to do it, it saves me in repair bills as I believe the preventive/routine maintenance I do is the reason my vehicles stay as reliable as they do. I see people all the time who gripe about their cars breaking down, yet they don't take care of them. Most cars now days are reliable if given a reasonable amount of care. I can't count how many times I see people driving around on underinflated tires, just for one example of how people neglect their vehicles. Makes me want to yell dumba$$ at them, but then it would go in one ear and out the other. I've got 3 years to go and I'll be joining you in retirement...can't wait!

dlayman,

The American Dream is still alive and doing well in 2017.

Not being rude... but why are you so negative ?

I concur you just have to work harder then past to achieve it. No more graduation from high school and ending up in sustainable jobs except for a select few.

dlayman,

The American Dream is still alive and doing well in 2017.

Not being rude... but why are you so negative ?

I don't take you as rude. Your opinion on this might be different if you were of a different age, I expect you are close to my age, 55. Things are much different than they were a couple or few decades ago. If I explain my position in any further detail, it will turn into a political thread and be locked, which would hinder further discussion. Feel free to PM me to discuss in further detail.

I'm right behind you guys. Retirement is around the corner and it's getting more difficult to work on cars. People ask me why I'm so cheap driving old cars and doing my own repairs... "You should enjoy life." I tell them I'm saving money for when I'm not physically able to do this work anymore so I can pay someone to do it.

Originally Posted By: CKN
Love these judgmental threads...............
whistle.gif

Originally Posted By: Blueskies123
There but for grace of God go I...

Originally Posted By: dlayman

4000 dollars is WAY beyond what the poor working class can afford in today's economy and society. Especially if they, as they should, place more priority on their own health, than that of their cars. Many many people are tied to high deductible health insurance through their employers or otherwise and need to budget for that first. Very easy for those who don't face these challenges to point fingers at those who do. And yet many of the people who face these challenges work many more hours than those who accuse them.

From someone who has a good job, a good degree, a good salary, and drives a 1.5k beater to work every day.

+1 to dlayman, CKN, and Blueskies123

I cannot walk in someone else's shoes, and I cannot know all of their circumstances and what they are going through. I don't judge people, and I expect the same in return. None of us are in a position to place judgements on other people. A little compassion, a little understanding goes a long way.

Tony10S, very well put, better than I could do it, and reflects my sentiments very well. Far, far too easy to make snap, irrational judgments of others based on artifical stereotypes and popular myths. My beliefs and opinions are guided by something else, as I suspect yours are as well.

If you live somewhere with public transportation, a car is a waste of money. Want to take a trip? Rent a car, or buy a bus ticket, or take a plane.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back