0W20 VS 5W30 in Honda

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'am learing alot here, but I wish I knew more a year ago when we bought a new Honda Odyessy(3.5L)
At that time I could not find mobil-1 in 5w20 as the manual says to use, so I bought mobil-1 5w30 instead. Now I see they make 0w20, should I change to that weight? Or keep useing the 5w30? Darn I just bought two jugs of 5w30 just the other day because it was on sale. Thanks for your time.

PW

The Mobil 1 5w30 should work fine in your engine. However, unless you're doing extended drains (7500 to 10,000 miles), you'd be just as well off running a good conventional 5w20 (for 3000 to 6000 mile OCIs). Pennzoil, Motorcraft/Conoco, and Havoline 5w20s have shown themselves to be top notch oils in the UOAs posted on here.

You're fine with the 5W30 especially with the hot summer months ahead..You may switch to the 0W20 if you wish, when your out of the 5W30. IMHO
Jean

I sometimes wonder just how good does 0W20 Mobil 1 protect in a Honda VTEC motor at 7500 RPM's ??? Does anybody know what weight oil does the 200 HP RSX engine use? Thanks
cool.gif

quote:

Originally posted by Boeing 757 Pilot:
I sometimes wonder just how good does 0W20 Mobil 1 protect in a Honda VTEC motor at 7500 RPM's ??? Does anybody know what weight oil does the 200 HP RSX engine use? Thanks
cool.gif

My brother had a 2002 RSX type S (200 hp model) and it called for 5w30.

quote:

Originally posted by mikemc:

quote:

cool.gif

My brother had a 2002 RSX type S (200 hp model) and it called for 5w30.

You gotta wonder about Honda and CAFE....
gr_stretch.gif
My '02 VTEC AcuraTL produces about 230hp and the book says 5W20...what gives..??
confused.gif

Go with the 5w-30. My vehicle has the same engine as yours and I ran 5w-30. Recent UOA of my findings. Personally, I'd skip the 0w-20 and just use 5w-30...we're talking about top-notch synthetics so being a tad bit thicker might actually be of benefit. And I doubt if you'll notice ANY improvement of MPG using the 0w-20 over the 5w-30 in the M1 flavor.
cheers.gif

The EPA document is mostly talking about...making sure the car companies, IF they want to use 5W-20 oil in their test vehicles MUST go the extra mile to insure Joe Public has the ability to use the oil by mandating 5W-20 is produced, distributed in wide channels, is priced so that people will continue to use 5W-20 IF their car mfg. calls for it etc.

This multi million dollar "jumping thru hoops" the EPA is putting Ford thru is being done so Ford cannot use any benefits of 5W-20 during testing, without a fair possibility the consumer CAN and will have an opportunity to find and continue to use 5W-20 oils.

When one thinks about the millions of dollars Ford and the oil companies have spent to develop, distribute and market 5W-20 oils....is it only for a .000000001 mpg increase as some would have us believe?

To spin the EPA article any other way is disingenuous at best.

I linked to the EPA article to show that 5W-20 could be all about CAFÉ. Sure it is safe to run in our Honda and Ford engines. However 5W-30 is a good choice as well.
But I do agree that with all the money spent on promoting the 5w-20, there must be some benefit, but to who?

We've seen several cases on this board where dealers don't adhere to Section 5 in afforementioned PDF. Bulk oil is most likely 10w-30, not many dealers will think twice about making sure 5w-20 is used. Cost and hassle are the two biggest factors why 5w-20 won't be offered to the customer.

Some dealers will do the right thing...kudos to them, but that's going to be a small percentage.

quote:

Originally posted by ToyotaNSaturn:
...Bulk oil is most likely 10w-30...

Yep, I agree. Last time I was into my dealer for an oil change they were using GTX 5W-30. Normally, manufacturers will recommend several viscocities in a temeperature chart. The link posted above shows why you will not find language allowing any other viscocities to be used along with 5W-20. The EPA stuck their noses in, for whatever reason.

From what I can see, 5W-20 or 5W-30, it really does not matter for the 4 cylinder Hondas. The 6's seem to show a lot of fuel dilution, which is why I will not run a xW-20 in mine. If you do mostly highway driving though, it will be fine.

[ May 11, 2004, 09:14 PM: Message edited by: Tones ]

quote:

cool.gif

As mentioned before, 5w-30 is spec. The high revving S2000 recommends 10w-30 in North America US and 5w-40 outside NA.

If you are going to use Mobil 1, I would opt for their 10w-30 since it is slightly more shear stable than their 5w-30.

[ May 12, 2004, 09:07 AM: Message edited by: John in the ATL ]

quote:

Originally posted by Fred Bear:
I linked to the EPA article to show that 5W-20 could be all about CAFÉ.

Wouldn't Ford's retroactive recommendation for 5W-20 use nix that suggestion? Or can Ford get some sort of carry forward CAFE credit for cars already sold that could potentially use a thinner oil recommendation for better MPG? I always thought CAFE penalties were for current year vehicles sold, but maybe there is some sort of provision like with pollution credits for industrial plants.

What gets me is that WHY does Honda even have to fool with CAFE? All their vehicles are low emissions and great gas mileage to start with. Or maybe they were planning ahead and getting ready to jump in the truck market, which they are next year. Anyway, if some of ya'll are that worried about the warranty/vehicle manufacturer suggestion thing, go with M1 5W-30, it's dang near a "heavy" 20 weight oil. I agree that the 10W-30 would probably be more sheer stabile, but the 5W-30 have held their own when you look at the UOA's. Also, the 5W-30 will be a lot easier to get ahold of than the 0W-20's.

I looked on the label for Mobil 1 0w20 and it said it can be used in applications where 5w20 oil is recommended. In my Mazda6 V6 the engine is a Ford and the M1 follows ford guidelines. I will switch to M1 0w20 at 5000 miles on my car.

Sure, I would try the 0-20 and switch back only if consumption was up over the drain interval. ie. don't just keep adding.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back