Honda engine Vs Nissan

Originally Posted by KGMtech
Timing belts are quieter than chains. Period. However, presuming some attention to oil changes, a timing chain will - almost - never need replacement.

+1 here. I would rather have a timing chain than have to spend $1000 or more on a timing belt.

Originally Posted by kstanf150
Originally Posted by PowerSurge
Honda engines overall are better engineered than Nissan.

Hmmmmm🤔
The Nissan 4.0L V6 is and maybe one of the best engines made. It's for sure the best V6 right now from a durability and reliability stand point.

You singled out one engine. Note the "overall" in my post.

How are Honda engines "better" engineered ?

I am not disagreeing with you on that point.

But how do you define "better" ??

What real world measurable results can be produced to support that ? ?

Again I am not disagreeing with you... Not at all. Seriously.

I just wonder about the above questions...

I believe Honda certainly does make some really strong good motors... No doubt in my opinion on that
smile.gif

So, to summarize what we've learned so far in this thread:

1. Honda engines are better that Nissans.

2. Nissan engines are better than Hondas.

My 2006 Acura TSX has the 2.4L K24. 252K miles. Oil/trans/plugs/filters. That's it. In my opinion, one of the best motors ever made by Honda. IN fact, looking for a new car and if it's a Honda/Acura, it better have the 2.4 in it. I think that leaves me with Acura.

Now, the V6 in my Nissan Frontier is a beast. I expect it to last 200K+ with minimal issues. Love that motor!!

I have both, and both are reliable. The VQ is legendary, but they are known for being noisy...chain is a big part of that. They are not as "refined" as other 6's but are pretty much bulletproof. Also can't complain as it puts out 290 horses being NA with port injection. My Acura 3.5 is the J35Y5...direct injected which adds a little noise but very smooth and still quieter with the belt.

Originally Posted by Kozman011
My 2006 Acura TSX has the 2.4L K24. 252K miles. Oil/trans/plugs/filters. That's it. In my opinion, one of the best motors ever made by Honda. IN fact, looking for a new car and if it's a Honda/Acura, it better have the 2.4 in it. I think that leaves me with Acura.

Now, the V6 in my Nissan Frontier is a beast. I expect it to last 200K+ with minimal issues. Love that motor!!

--Insert Argument Here--

Ok, not really an argument, but an opinion. Pre-VCM J-Series would be my pick if I had to pick a 'best' Honda motor. The K Series is good as well, even the F23's were pretty good, just not all that powerful or advanced, but they ran forever and in the case of my wifes Accord, without oil for 15 miles and kept on ticking afterwards until a box van took it out of circulation a couple months later.

Originally Posted by kstanf150

Hmmmmm🤔
The Nissan 4.0L V6 is and maybe one of the best engines made. It's for sure the best V6 right now from a durability and reliability stand point.

Especially the K20A3 I had with a bad exhaust cam I found at about 50k miles.

my accord went over 500k miles. it was an F series engine with a belt. the H,D,F series 4cyl)all had belts, the K series (accords and civic si, rsx,tsx) 4 cyl all have chains. chains are good but not maintenance free, the guides and tensioners should be replaced

Originally Posted by joel95ex
my accord went over 500k miles. it was an F series engine with a belt. the H,D,F series 4cyl)all had belts, the K series (accords and civic si, rsx,tsx) 4 cyl all have chains. chains are good but not maintenance free, the guides and tensioners should be replaced

My K never developed any odd noises from the chain area. Maybe the 5-7k, 6-month (mostly) full syn diet kept things newer for 200k. But yes, at some point guides and tensioners typically need replacement. But in my ownership I saved a few hundred because I didn't need timing belt changes 🤷â€â™‚ï¸

Originally Posted by farrarfan1
So, to summarize what we've learned so far in this thread:

1. Honda engines are better that Nissans.

2. Nissan engines are better than Hondas.

My man!
thumbsup2.gif

According to Wiki- Wards Nissan/ Renault has placed 2 more "best engines" than Honda in their 10 best engines list.

[Linked Image]

UD

Last edited:
Originally Posted by JustN89
Honda V6s are smooth, as eluded to previously, largely thanks to having a timing belt.

There is no way you can detect an NVH difference between a timing belt and a timing chain from behind the wheel.
Any perceived difference in smoothness (assuming both are 60 deg V6s) will boil down to method of engine damping (active vs passive motor mounts, perhaps motor mount material and mounting points) and sound deadening.

Originally Posted by tbm5690
I have both, and both are reliable. The VQ is legendary, but they are known for being noisy...chain is a big part of that.

VQ valve-train noise has more to do with the direct acting bucket setup than the timing chain.

Last edited:

A bit off topic, but why can't Honda ever get their paint right? I see many older and fairly newer Hondas with the peeling clear coat, fading paint, etc. No excuse for that to still be lingering. Also wouldn't want a Honda as most of their offerings are lacking in power for what they are.

Originally Posted by NISMO_JUNKY

A bit off topic, but why can't Honda ever get their paint right? I see many older and fairly newer Hondas with the peeling clear coat, fading paint, etc. No excuse for that to still be lingering. Also wouldn't want a Honda as most of their offerings are lacking in power for what they are.

Paint, and fitment.

I wouldn't take delivery of my Ridgeline until the body shop aligned the doors and hood to modicum of standards.

People talk about Tesla fit being bad, from the factory the Ridge was every bit as bad as a model 3.

As for power - you get what buy, on that front the 3.5 sizzles.

Originally Posted by Ben99GT
Honda V6s are smooth, as eluded to previously, largely thanks to having a timing belt.

There is no way you can detect an NVH difference between a timing belt and a timing chain from behind the wheel.
Any perceived difference in smoothness (assuming both are 60 deg V6s) will boil down to method of engine damping (active vs passive motor mounts, perhaps motor mount material and mounting points) and sound deadening.

Gonna agree to disagree on that -

In that NVH is noise vibration and harshness, many can hear, there exists a clear noise diff between the two actuation methods.
sometimes a pronounced diff - take a small block chevy and listen to the diff between a pete jackson gear drive and a jesel belt drive, even the "quiet" one.

Feeling it - perhaps, perhaps not.

Originally Posted by UncleDave
Originally Posted by Ben99GT

Gonna agree to disagree on that -

In that NVH is noise vibration and harshness, many can hear, there exists a clear noise diff between the two actuation methods.
sometimes a pronounced diff - take a small block chevy and listen to the diff between a pete jackson gear drive and a jesel belt drive, even the "quiet" one.

Feeling it - perhaps, perhaps not.

Gear drive?
lol.gif
Gear drives make noise because they are straight cut gears.
Take an SBC with a timing chain and a Jesel belt drive and there is virtually no noise difference. Built both, heard both.

You will not feel or hear any timing chain noise from behind the wheel unless there is a problem.
A normally operating timing chain is not noisy.

Bottom line, any perceived smoothness of a Honda engine from inside of the car has nothing to do with it being a belt or chain that drives the cams.

Back