0W20 vs 5W30 in 1999 E46 323i

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Shannow
* in fact I don't run 50s, full stop (unless you want to pick on the 40 blend in my sig as having 50 in it)

Your sig is gone as of this writing; time to 'fess up to the SAE 50 in the sump.
wink.gif

Originally Posted By: turtlevette
The oil film thickness is massive compared to the length of the lubricant molecules.

That does not mean that a special molecule could not provide the same film thickness at a lower viscosity.

You disagree with that? The study you posted seems to elude to that. But they eliminated the tests because it did not fit their frame of reference.

What purpose does making up nonsensical arguments have in this discussion.

Film thickness is controlled by viscosity...more viscosity more film thickness.

Your statement that a special molecule could have lower viscosity and higher film thickness means that it simultaneously has both lower AND higher viscosity...nonsense.

Shigley+chart+1.png

l/d is the length on diameter of the bearing...IC engines are somewhere between the 1/4 and 1/2, but for the sake of discussion, just use the 1/4 line.

Sommerfeld number is the bottom line, and using your noggin, you can see that making the Sommerfeld Number bigger makes the oil film bigger.

Things on the numerator side that make oil film bigger are, in order that you come across them in the formula:
* radius - more shaft diameter, more film thickness;
* viscosity - more viscosity, more film thickness
* Speed - more RPM, more film thickness.

On the denominator side (make these smaller to make Sommerfeld number bigger)
* radial clearance (smaller radial clearances, more film thickness)
* Applied pressure (smaller loads, more film thickness).

So a thin lubricant, e.g. for formula 1 use (tight clearances, very high RPM) is of zero suitability for a diesel with high BMEP, and low RPM potential.

Stribeck curve uses the last portion of Sommerfeld to demonstrate hydrodynamic, mixed, and boundary regimes.

Note...more viscosity, more likely to be hydrodynamic. More speed, more likely to be hydrodynamic. Less load, more likely to be hydrodynamic.

lubricants-01-00102-g001-1024.png

Note that designers are increasingly allowing MOFT to fall into the contact zone, and are using friction modifiers to prevent failure, and lower friction.

These additives are NOT increasing the film thickness

Originally Posted By: CATERHAM
Your lack of practical experience is showing here as you really are over thinking this.
We need not be concerned at all about MOFT. All one need know is what's the minimum safe operational viscosity (a proxy for which is minimum oil pressure) under extreme WOT conditions and the engine manufacturer/tuner will have that info acquired through experience. Getting this info is not always easy so the fall back info is the manufacturer's test oil pressure spec's.

Your lack of technical training is being overtaken by your confidence in your position, which seems to be supported only by a lack of catastrophic failures versus actual sound engineering judgement.

Your premise is to get the oil viscosity low enough to stay out of bypass. (while still maintaining the minimum oil pressure that the manufacturer considers low enough...on their recommended viscosity to be worthy of a rebuild or remedial action).

What you are doing is dropping the viscosity (all things being equal, load, same engine) to increase the side leakage out of the bearings to get your magical OP result.

Chart below shows the side leakage to the total circulating oil volume in the bearing..ratio of 1 is all oil supplied runs out the clearance. ratio of 0 is all oil is contained within the bearing and recirculates...It's actually why operation on bypass is harmless to the engine (although wasteful of power, the higher viscosity leaks less (less backpressure in your parlance), but spends more time recirculating in the bearings...as I've stated before, self compensating to an agree)
sommerfeld%20side%20flow.jpg

Consider the L/D of about 1/4 as the discussion point, and 0.1 to 0.4 as being reasonable design conditions at design point.

To get the oil pump out of relief, you are running on a fairly flat part of the curve, which requires a fairly large change in Sommerfeld number (viscosity all things being equal) to effect a small change in leakage flow, the leakage flow that is required to close the bypass.

Consider that change in the MOFT chart below, where going from 0.4 to 0.1 is more than a 50% reduction in MOFT.

Sommerfeld%20MOFT.jpg

Chasing your oil minimum oil pressure, bypass closed target, particularly when min oil pressure is by definition on the SPECIFIED grade of oil) reduces the margin of safety in the bearings.

You've stated that it will always remain adequate, and bring in your belts and braces drivel, but you have no idea (other than lack of catastrophic failures) where you are on any of this.

MOFT further depends on load and RPM...your "spirited" driving is different to the average Astra driver, with considerably more weight, and much more moving from a standing start.

Shannow help me out here. When the terms "bypass" and "relief" are being use what are we talking about oil pressure relief valve and filter bypass?
The oil pump pressure relief valve is usually always in operation at speed to prevent filter blow out and over pressure.

AFAIK its not an on/off valve but more of a varied opening to control pressure at the upper end.
Are oil filter in bypass at their rated bypass pressure of say 23 psi like on the Subaru? Does this mean that the filter is basically in bypass anyway at anything above idle regardless of the oil used?

TIA for your insight.

Your premise is to get the oil viscosity low enough to stay out of bypass. (while still maintaining the minimum oil pressure that the manufacturer considers low enough...on their recommended viscosity to be worthy of a rebuild or remedial action).

What you are doing is dropping the viscosity (all things being equal, load, same engine) to increase the side leakage out of the bearings to get your magical OP result.

Chart below shows the side leakage to the total circulating oil volume in the bearing..ratio of 1 is all oil supplied runs out the clearance. ratio of 0 is all oil is contained within the bearing and recirculates...It's actually why operation on bypass is harmless to the engine (although wasteful of power, the higher viscosity leaks less (less backpressure in your parlance), but spends more time recirculating in the bearings...as I've stated before, self compensating to an agree)
sommerfeld%20side%20flow.jpg

Consider the L/D of about 1/4 as the discussion point, and 0.1 to 0.4 as being reasonable design conditions at design point.

To get the oil pump out of relief, you are running on a fairly flat part of the curve, which requires a fairly large change in Sommerfeld number (viscosity all things being equal) to effect a small change in leakage flow, the leakage flow that is required to close the bypass.

Consider that change in the MOFT chart below, where going from 0.4 to 0.1 is more than a 50% reduction in MOFT.

Sommerfeld%20MOFT.jpg

Chasing your oil minimum oil pressure, bypass closed target, particularly when min oil pressure is by definition on the SPECIFIED grade of oil) reduces the margin of safety in the bearings.

You've stated that it will always remain adequate, and bring in your belts and braces drivel, but you have no idea (other than lack of catastrophic failures) where you are on any of this.

MOFT further depends on load and RPM...your "spirited" driving is different to the average Astra driver, with considerably more weight, and much more moving from a standing start.

What a load of technical obfuscating nonsense.
Viscosity is primarily a function of oil temperature. I'm not "dropping the viscosity" at all but using a lower viscosity oil grade to maintain the same operational viscosity that I would have with a higher oil grade at a correspondingly higher oil temperature. There are lots of lubricating advantages to this not the least of which is the lower grade oil will be much lighter on start-up because of it's inherently higher "real" VI (less viscosity change with temperature) even with oils of the same VI.

As for your claim that running a heavier oil grade with the oil pump in by-pass or relief mode does no harm is downright foolhardy. No engine is designed to run once up to operating temp' under maximum load with the oil pump in by-pass mode thereby reducing oil flow through the entire engine. Not only will the "recycled oil" in the bearings allow them to run hotter than they otherwise would but ever part of the engine will be supplied with less oil and the oil that it does get through will be hotter. Just a bad scenario all round.

Originally Posted By: Garak
Well, if I was driving it from a cold start for about a mile, and then shutting it down for hours, and repeating, I'm sure a 20 grade would be harmless. Outside of that, stick with something of specified viscosity.

Better than "harmless", it would provide superior lubrication.

OK, define "superior"

References ?

Any evidence of this in industry standard wear tests like the sequence IVA ?

While you are going back through the posts, you keep missing this one.

No I didn't miss it but rather ignored it as a camshaft wear test at 40C oil temp's is irrelevant to the discussion at hand; namely, is a 0W-20 too light at operating temp's.

And for those that still want to use a 0W-20 but don't have oil gauges to help determine you actual operational viscosity, you can go beyond just short commutes, simply don't use WOT at low rev's; i.e., no jack rabbit starts about 10 minutes after you're coolant temp's hit the normal maximum. That alone will dramatically increase the MOFT in the bearings.

What, you drive like a granny already (hi Garak)? Well then you don't have a whole lot to be concerned about. Jess, listening to some 20 grade fear mongers, you'd think that bearing wiping was an every day occurence when in fact it's rare than hens teeth.

Originally Posted By: Caterham
As for your claim that running a heavier oil grade with the oil pump in by-pass or relief mode does no harm is downright foolhardy. No engine is designed to run once up to operating temp' under maximum load with the oil pump in by-pass mode thereby reducing oil flow through the entire engine. Not only will the "recycled oil" in the bearings allow them to run hotter than they otherwise would but ever part of the engine will be supplied with less oil and the oil that it does get through will be hotter. Just a bad scenario all round.

I think you have this function and how it works all wrong. Its nothing more than a controlled pressure bleed off valve. Otherwise the filter body would blow up like an elephants trunk and explode.
With a positive displacement pump it is in operation much of the time above idle. The design is indeed wasteful hence the new variable displacement pumps being fitted to some new cars.

You are advocating keeping pressure lower than the normal operating relief valve settings which is almost impossible regardless of the oils viscosity anyway.
One car comes to mind that is fitted with a mechanical OP gauge and a very strong pump from the factory, the MB diesels.
Anything above idle and the gauge is pegged! It is in relief no matter what viscosity oil you use in it.

But if an oil with too low a viscosity is used in them they get damaged quickly, how come when it has full oil pressure? Is the film strength to weak for the diesel?
In your argument as long as you can maintain pressure it makes no difference then the diesel should be just fine. I have a feeling film strength is not just about pressure and play a much more important role than you make out.

Maybe Shannow can provide the answer.

Quote:
Positive displacement pumps, unlike centrifugal or roto-dynamic pumps, theoretically can produce the same flow at a given speed (RPM) no matter what the discharge pressure. Thus, positive displacement pumps are constant flow machines. However, a slight increase in internal leakage as the pressure increases prevents a truly constant flow rate.

A positive displacement pump must not operate against a closed valve on the discharge side of the pump, because it has no shutoff head like centrifugal pumps. A positive displacement pump operating against a closed discharge valve continues to produce flow and the pressure in the discharge line increases until the line bursts, the pump is severely damaged, or both.

A relief or safety valve on the discharge side of the positive displacement pump is therefore necessary. The relief valve can be internal or external. The pump manufacturer normally has the option to supply internal relief or safety valves. The internal valve is usually only used as a safety precaution. An external relief valve in the discharge line, with a return line back to the suction line or supply tank provides increased safety.

Originally Posted By: Trav

You are advocating keeping pressure lower than the normal operating relief valve settings which is almost impossible regardless of the oils viscosity anyway.
One car comes to mind that is fitted with a mechanical OP gauge and a very strong pump from the factory, the MB diesels.
Anything above idle and the gauge is pegged! It is in relief no matter what viscosity oil you use in it.

You're partly right, even with a light high VI 0W-20 you'll need oil temp's of about 70C will most engines before you can use maximum rev's without the oil pump still in by-pass mode. Of course at lower rev's you will not be in by-pass at all at lower rev's. On a cold room temp' start, you won't be in by-pass until the rev' hit about 2,500-3,000 rpm.
With a typical 5W-30 you'll need about 80C oil temp' to use max' rev's out of by-pass and typically 1,500-2,000 rpm on start-up.
With a 0W/5W-40 the temp's needed will typically be 90-95C and 1,000-1,300 rpm respectively.

Regarding the Mercedes oil pressure. The Merc's I'm familiar with that have the factory gauge, it's the gauge itself that's pegged at a very low maximum 3 bar (40-45 psi). So you don't know what's going on at OP above that.

Shannow help me out here. When the terms "bypass" and "relief" are being use what are we talking about oil pressure relief valve and filter bypass?
The oil pump pressure relief valve is usually always in operation at speed to prevent filter blow out and over pressure.

AFAIK its not an on/off valve but more of a varied opening to control pressure at the upper end.
Are oil filter in bypass at their rated bypass pressure of say 23 psi like on the Subaru? Does this mean that the filter is basically in bypass anyway at anything above idle regardless of the oil used?

TIA for your insight.

Trav, Oil pump relief, AKA pressure controller.

I'm in the unfortunate position to not know how "every" engine designer does things.

But every operational lubricating or hydraulic circuit that I've been around for the last quarter century as an engineer has flow through this valve as designed, s the pump is purposely designed to have enough capacity to take the worst operating conditions plus wear...

Only design that I've done that I'm embarrassed about (serves as a good example when mentoring 'though) was a turbine jacking system, where I matched pump flow to system resistance perfectly. Problem was that once the oil thinned at temperature, the internal leakage of the pump increased (thinner oil pumps less in Positive Displacement pumps), I lost flow through the releif/pressure controller, and the system couldn't meet minimum pressure to lift the bearings.

Engine oil pumps provide a linear flow/rpm, and the bearings only draw off what they need, creating oil pressure...the flow that is needed at lower RPM means that there is excess flow at higher RPM, which flows through the relief...which is why the OEMs are working to create variable flow pumps, more oil at lower RPM, then reduce supply to maintain gallery pressure at higher.

Saves energy, the heating effect that CATERHAM talks about...to the tune of about 50-70 watts.

Originally Posted By: kschachn
Wow.

It's like having two radios on, each tuned to a different station.

One of which has a technical department, with references (aka "technical obfuscation", don't make me thing), and one of which has statements of self evidence and posits.

Better than "harmless", it would provide superior lubrication.

OK, define "superior"

References ?

Any evidence of this in industry standard wear tests like the sequence IVA ?

While you are going back through the posts, you keep missing this one.

No I didn't miss it but rather ignored it as a camshaft wear test at 40C oil temp's is irrelevant to the discussion at hand; namely, is a 0W-20 too light at operating temp's.

OK define "superior", your way.

I was asking for evidence of it's superiority, offering the industry standard warm-up wear as a possibility.

So what do you mean by "superior", and can you please back it with references and science ?

Your posit, your evidence...have at it.

Oil filter bypass is 3.5 bar, I have had gauges on them the oil pump relief pressure is about 6 bar and they can make that above 3000 RPM in a tight engine with a properly operating pump.
MB even installed a damper on the valve to quiet them, in the very old ones you knew the relief valve was in operation because you could hear it.
In either case the oil is still being bypassed somewhere, either at the pump or the filter at anything above idle.

The pressure relief is an absolute necessity on engines with a positive displacement pump otherwise the pump will just make pressure until it either blows the filter or breaks.
It is a more a control mechanism than just a safety valve.

Your theory seems to work in a closed dead head hydraulic system but a engine is not a closed system but an open one.
Meaning the gauge may show acceptable oil pressure but all the bearings may not have the indicated pressure depending on wear, 001 of an inch wear on a bearing can have a 20% reduction in pressure at that particular bearing.

I would think that bearing(s) is depending more on film strength to stay alive more than the others. From what i understand from this board is that generally lower viscosity oils have a lower film strength.

That being the case your oil pressure gauge argument goes right out the window as it only monitors the main oil galley pressure not the pressure at the individual bearings.
what do i know i am just an old wrench turner but i think there is a lot more to this than you are presenting or taking into account.

That being the case your oil pressure gauge argument goes right out the window as it only monitors the main oil galley pressure not the pressure at the individual bearings.
what do i know i am just an old wrench turner but i think there is a lot more to this than you are presenting or taking into account.

Why would you need to know the pressure in the individual bearings? There are 2 bypasses. One in the oil pump and one in the filter mount or filter itself.

Only design that I've done that I'm embarrassed about (serves as a good example when mentoring 'though) was a turbine jacking system, where I matched pump flow to system resistance perfectly. Problem was that once the oil thinned at temperature, the internal leakage of the pump increased (thinner oil pumps less in Positive Displacement pumps), I lost flow through the releif/pressure controller, and the system couldn't meet minimum pressure to lift the bearings.

You are fallible. That's a huge f up. That must have cost someone a ton of money. Good engineers always provide a healthy margin in their designs.

I'm glad that you've finally accepted my argument that auto oil pumps are in bypass through most of the operating range. We had some good arguments about a year ago. But I'm sure you'll never admit it. I could pull them up. You claimed bearing oil requirements perfectly matched the pump displacement curve as rpm increased.

Maybe you should let me review your next design. Might save you some grief.

Last edited:
Saves energy, the heating effect that CATERHAM talks about...to the tune of about 50-70 watts.

It"s a lot more than that. Why would the trend be for variable displacement pumps to save that little. Its probably more like a couple of horsepower. 1500 watts or so.

From what i understand from this board is that generally lower viscosity oils have a lower film strength.

That's right, but not lower viscosity oil grades.
Approximately speaking a 20 grade oil with have the same film strength at say 80C as a 40 grade does at 100C and the 20 grade will have an even higher film strength at lower oil temp's vs a 40 grade at 100C.
The point is, an oil's viscosity 100% temperature related.

Again you're partly right in that an OP gauge only measures the system back-pressure, not the pressure or resistance through an individual bearing. But a new engine or a higher mileage one in good nick is not going to have much variation between the bearings. After all the main function of a manufacturers OP test spec's is to determine if an engine is worn or has other related mechanical issues.
Of course an OP gauge has many useful functions one of which is as a viscometer. Consequently everything that affects the viscosity of the oil in a running engine will be reflected; be that the oil grade itself, oil temp's, oil shear and fuel dilution. In conjunction with an oil temp' gauge you can determine a lot. Your initial grade selection is just the first step in determining the actual operational viscosity of the oil in an operating engine for those that are interested in knowing.

What, you drive like a granny already (hi Garak)? Well then you don't have a whole lot to be concerned about.

Yes, I do. Then spring comes, and I get young for a day or two, and then revert to granny driving.
wink.gif

Originally Posted By: turtlevette
It"s a lot more than that. Why would the trend be for variable displacement pumps to save that little. Its probably more like a couple of horsepower. 1500 watts or so.

If it were that high, why would it not have been tackled ages ago, being such low hanging fruit in the fuel economy game?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back