0w20 or 5w20 for 2019 Toyota Tacoma 3.5L?

My dad's truck is almost due for another oil change, he drives a lot because he's a maintenance manager for plants in 3 or 4 different states I'm not entirely sure where all he goes.

The owners manual for his truck recommends 0w20 but says 5w20 can be used if 0w20 isn't available.

Has anyone substituted 5w20 for their Toyota trucks and if so does it make any noticable difference in fuel economy or performance?

With how much he drives and how much he hauls I would like to use a bit thicker of an oil for his truck.

Another post about the winter rating. I'm starting to think it is the #1 least understood topic on this site.

Where do you see that an oil with a 5W winter rating is thicker than a 0W rated one at operating temperature?

I once did a pour test in my area where the temp went down to -5 degees 1 night, I let half a quart of PP 0W-20 versus half a quart of 5W-30 PP, let both sit overnight for about 12 hours. I flipped them the next morning and they both poured the same. I know a piur test is not the same as a pump test, so what I just posted means nothing for anyone reading this, but I had fun and that is all that matters. LOL

I once did a pour test in my area where the temp went down to -5 degees 1 night, I let half a quart of PP 0W-20 versus half a quart of 5W-30 PP, let both sit overnight for about 12 hours. I flipped them the next morning and they both poured the same. I know a piur test is not the same as a pump test, so what I just posted means nothing for anyone reading this, but I had fun and that is all that matters. LOL
And -5 isn't cold anyway.;)

5w-20's usually have a 2.7 hths compared to 2.6 like in 0w-20's and 5w-20's are sometimes a bit thinner in the kv100 while also having a slightly higher flash point which both are good. I'd use a full syn 5w-20 except in some cases. Valvoline advanced syn 0w-20 has a better additive pack than the 5w-20 version which is weird but can happen. But their full syn high milage and extended protecion oils all have the same high additive pack no matter the grade.

My dad's truck is almost due for another oil change, he drives a lot because he's a maintenance manager for plants in 3 or 4 different states I'm not entirely sure where all he goes.

The owners manual for his truck recommends 0w20 but says 5w20 can be used if 0w20 isn't available.

Has anyone substituted 5w20 for their Toyota trucks and if so does it make any noticable difference in fuel economy or performance?

With how much he drives and how much he hauls I would like to use a bit thicker of an oil for his truck.

I ran my first couple of oil changes with RP 5w20 HPS because I had a left over supply. later I went with PUP 0w20, and the truck seem to run much better, smoother and less noise. I've been very impressed with the Ultra Pennzoil oil.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01M4KQR8U/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o07_s00?ie=UTF8&th=1

it's a 2020 Tacoma.

My wife had a Rav4 previously with similar oil recommendations. The distinction between 5w20 and 0w20 seemed to be more geared towards shortening the oil change interval to 5,000 miles if using a 5w20 presumably a conventional oil and that 0w20 was approved for their standard 10,000 mile interval with the assumption that it would be synthetic.

Per an automaker's CAFE award letter they must strongly discourage the use of any other grade than what was used for the certification. This includes the winter rating.

There have been a few letters posted here in the past, they are filled with stipulations and requirements about how owner's manuals must be worded and how oil grades are marketed.

I've tried to play this game too and have always come to the conclusion that 0w20 produces better results in the applications I have used it in compared to 5w20 usage. 0w20 is not difficult to acquire at all and I would not be using 5w20 as a substitute unless I was forced into having to do it. If you want to go thicker, which you will not accomplish with a 5w20, go with an Xw30 oil instead.

67k on my 2018 taco running everything including 5w30,10w30 and 0w40.
no issues, no worries I use 5w30 most changes and run it out to the recommended interval.

You should start the vehicle with 0W-20 in it, then once the engine has warmed up some, replace with 10W-40. Once the engine gets cold again, drain the 10W-40 and put 0W-20 back in. The most practical way to do this, is park the vehicle about a half hour walk from your garage, so by the time you have driven back to the garage to change the oil, the engine has warmed up some. When you get back home at end of day, stop at the house first to drain the 10W-40 out and put 0W-20 back in, but don't start it after that - starting is harder on the engine. Instead, push the vehicle to the 30 minutes walk location and walk back home. ;)

There's a statement in the Toyota OM that basically says if the vehicle is used to haul and drive at higher speeds that a thicker oil is acceptable than the recommended. I'd be putting a full synthetic 5W-30 in it if it was my Taco.

Back