0w16 for new hybrid

Such an oddball specification sounds like attempted monopolization on the part of the manufacturer to me.

Not at all another 5w-20 vs. 5w-30 thread discussion.
It is kind of weird weight. But the 4 cyl Camry has been using it for nearly 4 years and RAV for nearly 3 and 2.0 Corolla, Corolla Hatch and HRCs for a couple years now....although the 1.8 continues to spec 0/20. So it's not new. And it's readily available....at least in my area

I just clicked 20,000 miles on my 2020 Rav4 Hybrid. I love the car and Ive been using the free oil changes every 10K from toyota but in between changing my own oil with 0w-20. The manual does say that 0w-20 is fine to use if you can not source 0w-16. And thats good enough for me living in Phoenix.
I notice 0 difference between the two oils (dealer uses TGMO).

I just clicked 20,000 miles on my 2020 Rav4 Hybrid. I love the car and Ive been using the free oil changes every 10K from toyota but in between changing my own oil with 0w-20. The manual does say that 0w-20 is fine to use if you can not source 0w-16. And thats good enough for me living in Phoenix.
I notice 0 difference between the two oils (dealer uses TGMO).
Right now your plan is my plan for the Venza. It will be a while for me to rack up 5K miles. After my Christmas trip the past two days I am sitting at 1996 miles. I have the miniature OEM YZZN1 filter and 5 quarts of Castrol 0W-16 (5 x $2 from AZ) ready to go. I'm thinking if I catch a warmer day in mid February, that will be 4 months and at least 3K miles, probably around 3500 miles might be perfect timing to dump the factory fill. If there is special magic in the Factory fill like extra moly and assembly lubes, that will surely be long enough for the magic to occur. Then my first Toyota Care oil change will most likely be in the 8 to 9K range.

Right now your plan is my plan for the Venza. It will be a while for me to rack up 5K miles. After my Christmas trip the past two days I am sitting at 1996 miles. I have the miniature OEM YZZN1 filter and 5 quarts of Castrol 0W-16 (5 x $2 from AZ) ready to go. I'm thinking if I catch a warmer day in mid February, that will be 4 months and at least 3K miles, probably around 3500 miles might be perfect timing to dump the factory fill. If there is special magic in the Factory fill like extra moly and assembly lubes, that will surely be long enough for the magic to occur. Then my first Toyota Care oil change will most likely be in the 8 to 9K range.

The break-in magic has already happened and you should be good to drain it by 3k like you suggested to help flush out the factory contaminants. 👍🏼

I’ve dumped the FF at 1,000 miles on several new vehicles over the years and have shown flawless UOA reports for the next 150,000 miles in said vehicles. I think it’s better for the engine to get rid of the metallic soup sooner rather then later.

My daughter has a Rav5 Hybrid and for the first oil change I used M-1 0w-20. I had never even heard of 0w-16 until I read it it the owner's manual. Anyway, with Kingman's summer heat, I figured the ever so slightly heavier oil would be fine. For ad244, living in Phoenix I would think the 0w-20 would work year round.

I elected to do my own changes, not bothering with going to the dealer. I can do a cross rotation and oil change every 5k easily eough. Critic’s concern about oil consumption has me doing 5k, at least for now.

My other Camry did see a number of 10k OCI’s on 0W20 but that is a different engine family. Still, I kinda have gone back to 5k and 5w30 at that. Tempted to try 0w20 again though.

I believe this guy is what most would call an expert. For some strange reason he agrees with crazy me on not doing the extended oil changes . You can believe him or Gretta and the climate crowd who’s agenda doesn’t follow your cars longevity interests. My 18 SXE oil is pretty dirty looking at 7k so I do mine around 5. DI is rather tough on the oil no matter what people want to think.. I find M1 0-16 at Wallyworld any time I want it and oil is cheaper than parts no matter how you slice it. You should subscribe to this guy if you own a Toyota .

Those hybrids I think have high pressure injection, its good for efficiency but can also lead to fuel contamination in the oil, you should change it every 7,000 miles and smell the oil for gas contamination, if it does not smell like gas go for 10k, these oils are almost detergent based, so it shouldn't be a big issue.
Thank you for this. I just changed the oil in my wife's new '21 Rav4 Hybrid and thought it was weird it smelled far too strongly of gas. Glad my gut had me do it early and not at the 10k recommended.

Going to shorten it up another 1000mi next time and see if it still smells. It was strong.
(went 6300 on 1st oil unintentionally - weather has been too bad to change it).

No gas smell in my 2020 but rarely do I short trip. Oil stays basically clear until around 5,000 miles.

Those hybrids I think have high pressure injection, its good for efficiency but can also lead to fuel contamination in the oil, you should change it every 7,000 miles and smell the oil for gas contamination, if it does not smell like gas go for 10k, these oils are almost detergent based, so it shouldn't be a big issue.
It has both direct injection AND port injection aka Toyota D4-S system.

I believe this guy is what most would call an expert. For some strange reason he agrees with crazy me on not doing the extended oil changes . You can believe him or Gretta and the climate crowd who’s agenda doesn’t follow your cars longevity interests. My 18 SXE oil is pretty dirty looking at 7k so I do mine around 5. DI is rather tough on the oil no matter what people want to think.. I find M1 0-16 at Wallyworld any time I want it and oil is cheaper than parts no matter how you slice it. You should subscribe to this guy if you own a Toyota .

Here he is doing an OC on his own personal 2022 Camry Hybrid (now his shop vehicle). States in video to do first OC at 1K, then @ 5K/6mos, then every 5K/6mos after that. Also that Camry is used for low mileage short trips, he says the gas smell in the oil is normal because of those short trips.

Here he is doing an OC on his own personal 2022 Camry Hybrid (now his shop vehicle). States in video to do first OC at 1K, then @ 5K/6mos, then every 5K/6mos after that. Also that Camry is used for low mileage short trips, he says the gas smell in the oil is normal because of those short trips.

Which might work out to 3000 miles on the oil or even less. Saying that, a 10,000 mile OCI is not unreasonable.

What's a short trip now in a hybrid? seems a bit more unknown now, if you are taking it at slow speeds in the 'burbs, it's even shorter than it used to be.

Wife's hybrid is still getting 5k OCI's, not noticing any gas smell I think, but it tends to get plenty of highway.

What's a short trip now in a hybrid? seems a bit more unknown now, if you are taking it at slow speeds in the 'burbs, it's even shorter than it used to be.

or not being driven for at least 30 minutes once per week -- if either are true then should change oil every 6 months minimum regardless of mileage.

I don't think they have it in EP, but 0w-16 AFE is like 70-80% PAO according to the SDS, so it's essentially an EP oil.

I was skeptical, but you are correct about the MSDS (y)

a small excerpt:

Product Name: MOBIL 1 0W-16 Revision Date: 05 Feb 2020 Page 2 of 11

1-DECENE, HOMOPOLYMER HYDROGENATED
68037-01-4 70 - < 80% H304

2-PENTANOL, 4-METHYL-, HYDROGEN PHOSPHORODITHIOATE, ZINC SALT
2215-35-2 0.1 - < 1% H303, H315, H318, H401, H411

DISTILLATES, HEAVY, C18-50 - BRANCHED, CYCLIC AND LINEAR 848301-69-9 10 - < 20% H304

PHOSPHORODITHIOIC ACID, MIXED 0,0 BIS (1,3-DIMETHYLBUTYL AND ISO-PR)ESTERS, ZINC SALTS
84605-29-8 0.1 - < 1% H303, H315, H318, H401,

Apparently not anymore... (?) I'm not sure what to make of the huge change to Distillates.

Mobil 1™ 0W-16 Advanced Fuel Economy SDS

Product Name: MOBIL 1 0W-16
Revision Date: 25 May 2022
Page 2 of 11

2-PENTANOL, 4-METHYL-, HYDROGEN PHOSPHORODITHIOATE, ZINC SALT
2215-35-2 0.1 - B]
BENZENAMINE, N-PHENYL-, REACTION PRODUCTS WITH 2,4,4-TRIMETHYLPENTENE
68411-46-1
1 - COLOR]
DISTILLATES, HEAVY, C18-50 - BRANCHED, CYCLIC AND LINEAR
848301-69-9
60 - COLOR]
ORGANO MOLY-SULFUR COMPLEX
CONFIDENTIAL 0.1 - B]
PHOSPHORODITHIOIC ACID, MIXED 0,0 BIS (1,3- DIMETHYLBUTYL AND ISO-PR)ESTERS, ZINC SALTS
84605-29-8 0.1 - B]
SOLVENT DEWAXED HEAVY PARAFFINIC DISTILLATE
64742-65-0
1 - < 5%

Valvoline™ Advanced Full Synthetic SAE 0W-16
Revision Date: 09/06/2018
SDS Number: 000000269652

Distillates (Petroleum), Hydrotreated Heavy Paraffinic
64742-54-7 >=60.00 - B]
Mineral Oil
>=5.00 - B]
DISTILLATES (PETROLEUM), HYDROTREATED HEAVY PARAFFINIC
64742-54-7 >=1.00 - B]

Penzoil Platinum 0W-16
CANNOT FIND SDS *shocker* ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Castrol EDGE 0W-16
SDS # 469356
Date of issue 12/05/2022

Substance/mixture Mixture
Highly refined base oil (IP 346 DMSO extract < 3%). Proprietary performance additives.

Ingredient name
Distillates (petroleum), hydrotreated heavy paraffinic
% ≥75 - ≤90 CAS 64742-54-7
Distillates (petroleum), hydrotreated heavy paraffinic
% ≥10 - ≤25 CAS 64742-54-7

Last edited:
Ahmed (aka: AMD), who holds himself out as a current Chicago-area Toyota dealer master diagnostic tech, and who hosts his "Car Care Nut" YouTube channel, definitely recommends long-term owners stay with the severe service 5K oil change intervals for the dual-injected "Dynamic Force" 2.5 liter, 4cyl. , and sticking firmly with the 0w-16 viscosity (definitely a naysayer on extended use of 0w-20 in these), though he's completely agnostic on oil brands. He's seems a little skeptical on Toyota's choice of plastic for the valve covers, which may be borne out by other posters' leak observations. FWIW, his Toyota maintenance videos are quite well done, balanced, and informative, and I see no evidence that he's merely shilling for dealer-only maintenance.

But lets not forget that same engine in other parts of the world will specify anything from 0w16 to 15w40.

But lets not forget that same engine in other parts of the world will specify anything from 0w16 to 15w40.
Folks over at ToyotaNation argue [without certainty] that the ECM (controls electronic oil pump) might, maybe, possibly, be programmed according to those regions. Don't forget the steering wheel is on the wrong side in those countries also.

Last edited:
Folks over at ToyotaNation argue that the ECM (controls electronic oil pump) is likely programmed according to those regions.

Absolute nonsense.

I believe the same engines in the UK also only specify 0w16, with 0w20 considered an acceptable alternative.

Does that mean our programming is different to the US which only specifies 0w16?

And then in another country where they specify a 5w30 it is different again?

And then what does the calibration look like in Australia where you could pick from a 0w16, 0w20, 5w20, 0w30, 5w30, 10w30, 5w40, 10w40, 15w40 or 0w40?

Back