0w-40 viscosity engine oils

Status
Not open for further replies.
quote:

The supposed higher wear metals(I did not see them reviewing 1.8T UOA's here)could also be from the supposed superior cleaning action of M1 0W40 the only oil EM makes where they open state it cleans varnish and sludge deposits

Wouldn't Delvac 1/M1 SUV then show similar results bc they too are loaded with Esters?

quote:

Originally posted by buster:

quote:

The supposed higher wear metals(I did not see them reviewing 1.8T UOA's here)could also be from the supposed superior cleaning action of M1 0W40 the only oil EM makes where they open state it cleans varnish and sludge deposits

Wouldn't Delvac 1/M1 SUV then show similar results bc they too are loaded with Esters?

Not necessarily.I figure if EM knew that their M1 5W40 excelled at cleaning they would probably promote that in their literature but they don't however they clearly state M1 0W40's cleaning powers on their website.

Apparently EM thinks it's good stuff
smile.gif

quote:

All I know is that OEM products do not mean they are the best.

cheers.gif

The vehicle engineers may "know" what is best, but that does not mean they always put the "best" thing into the cars. Every engineering decision is a trade off.

Thanks Alan, wasn't aware of that. Could be something to this. Then again, could be reading too much into it.
dunno.gif

quote:

Our lineup of Mobil 1 motor oils includes a 0W-40 viscosity, which is the viscosity recommended by many European car builders. Mobil 1 0W-40's wide viscosity range provides unsurpassed levels of protection and an overall smooth driving experience. Mobil 1 0W-40 keeps engines starting in Arctic-extreme cold, and it cleans deposits, sludge and varnish often formed in high temperature operating conditions.

It is interesting that Mobil claims the 0W40 "Cleans" sludge and varnish, while 5W40 "resists" sludge and varnish. Do they mean it? or is it sloppy marketing?

quote:

Originally posted by Winston:
It is interesting that Mobil claims the 0W40 "Cleans" sludge and varnish, while 5W40 "resists" sludge and varnish. Do they mean it? or is it sloppy marketing?

As far as I'm concerned, all this is just marketing language. Mobil 1 0w40 is not going to "clean" a dirty engine any better (or worse) than any other oil with similar levels of detergent and disperssant additives.

Bought my first jug of M1 15W50 SL today. Should be better in the summer than the M1 5W50 I have in there now. This turbo engine sure took a dislike to M1 0W40 which I didn't expect. Still M1 0W40 was still awesome when we Timken tested it, by far the best my friend Ron who owns the Timken tester had ever seen. Yes it is 'volatile' but anti-wear is exceptional. Horses for courses as they say..s

Does anyone really put much into the timken or 4-ball wear tests though? They seem irrelevant for the most part.
smile.gif

Alan,
That is great that you searched for 1.8T UOAs. If you still have interest, look at ones that used LubroMoly, Pentosin, Amsoil, Valvoline (all 5W-40) and compare the iron ppm values to those from M1 0W-40 usage. Those are the oils that have shown such good iron wear number improvements.

Yeah, that claim of M10W-40 cleaning sludge/varnish is ** and is marketing. I have tested this very thing. Starting with a sludged/varnished metal cup, put virgin oil in and bring it up to 210F degrees or so for several hours, and see if the oil can remove any of the deposits. Result: no change whatsoever. Once those deposits are there, no oil can remove them (except MAYBE a mostly ester oil, but I have not tested this). A good oil can prevent them from forming in the first place though. And M1 0W-40 is not horrible in this regard but is definitely not leading the pack.

Buster, I think you referred to my commment of "lighter" basestocks. That was a bad term to use, I admit. I should have said "lower viscosity basestocks", but lighter is so much easier to type.
wink.gif
This oil gets it's 40 weight attribute from having lots of VI improvers. As someone said (maybe you?) and I'll add to it, this oil is great for gas mileage and cold startups relative to other 40 weight oils and it great for long OCIs compared to any oil, and GOOD ENOUGH at wear protection.

I wonder if your dirty clothes would get clean if they just "sat" in a tub of 210 degree water ? I would think that, to a large degree, the cleaning action of any oil is dependent on the movement of oil over the varnished and sludged parts.
cheers.gif

My cars allow me to use 5/10W-30 or 10W-40. I have the Schaeffers 9000 5W-40 in one of them (a 1.8L) and a 10W-40 in the other (1.6L).

As I said before, I look for for an ACEA A3 even though my cars don't call for that. When I read what the ACEAs are, it becomes a no brainer.

No one who knows a lot about lubrication has suggested I do otherwise. Disapproval has been expressed but not by any of the experts. Therefore that has been of no value or of any difference to me.

These are fun forums.

"After receiving a number of personal jibes and having some people being "disappointed" in me, being called "sly" - inferring deviousness and etc, and still others worried at my continued references to heavy vehicles, it is probably time I exited from this Forum!

As I said at the start;
"Note: I am NOT connected to ANY Oil Company in any way. I am a Commercial user of Castrol, Mobil and Shell lubricants"

Thanks
Doug

Doug, I hope this is not what I think your saying, that you are done with BITOG? NO, don't do that! I want you to stay.

Remember, you are a friend to many here and your real-life experience in the field is a valuable asset to the discussions here...STAY MATE, for the intellectual and practical insight that you have to share with us. Paul.

I have not read all the posts, but M1 0w-40 bit me in the *** and I'll never use it again. I sheared to a 20 weight in what I admit were tough conditions, 120F, 80mph for 400 miles and the drop in oil pressure, rise in oil temp caused the brain to block the A/C, but isn't that what you buy synthetic oil for? In fact, now that I've gone back to Red Line, I'm using 5w-30 on those same trips, once or twice a month, some done in exactly the same conditions and there have been no problems. I think the M1 0w-40 may be marginal in more areas than just viscoisty retention.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back