0W-30 or 5W-30 vs. 10W-30 for '09 dodge journey.

Status
Not open for further replies.
it's mighty cold here in Michigan, and it seems like the 3.5 liter V-6 doesn't turn over real good with the factory spec'd 10W-30 in the crankcase. Would it be OK to use a lower viscosity oil for the next oil change? Anyone see a problem? Thanks in advance for any replies.

I don't understand the 10w30 spec for that car. It makes sense when temps are warm, but no sense in cold weather. Why they don't just spec a 0/5w syn I don't know.

Negative 2 degrees this morning in the Detroit Metro area. From the months of December through Februrary I use Valvoline Syn 5W30. For the rest of the year Valvoline Syn 10w30. My Maxima uses Mobil 0w40 and is stored during the winter. My cars cranked and started just fine today.
smile.gif

Want hassles with your warranty? It's an 09, so I'm assuming youare still under the factory warranty.

Unless you do, stick with 10W-30, just use a synthetic version - it will start fine with that in the cold - M1 10W-30, PP 10W-30.

Does the owner manual give any alternate viscosities to use besides the 10w30? What oil are you using that causes difficult cranking? A good 10w30 should not present cranking problems at Zero degrees.

Mobil1 0W-30 says something to the effect of "Meets warranty requirements for vehicles that require 5W-30 and 10W-30."

Is there any real legal reasoning behind this, or is it just marketing?

Chrysler's 10W-30 requirement for this engine sure is baffling, though.

Warranty is a concern, but I'm currently using 0w30 in the Grand Cherokee - well out of warranty - which is spec'd for 10w30 (or 5w30 below 32*), with no ill effects.

I'd check the owner's manual, where there's probably a cold weather oil suggested.

Last edited:
I have to say, I use M1 10w30 in my Avenger R/T 3.5L and it seems to do fine even on the coldest mornings (low/mid 30s) but we only see a few of them a year.

Does anyone have UOAs links from either the 3.5L or the 4.0L version so that the OP and others can see which oils are working better (better protection, cleaning, shear stable (timing belt so not as bad), etc....)

If you have the lifetime powertrain warranty then I'd stick with the 10w30 like I am but if you are out of warranty or etc.... then the 0/5 should do fine.

Could be as simple as Chrysler has not fully tested this engine with a 5 or 0 wt oil and don't want to mislead. A lessor manufacture migh just go to a 5 wt oil without any data and let the public do the testing for them.

Originally Posted By: yaris0128
Are car manufacturers still recommending 10w30 for any of their vehicles?

My moms 2010 Dodge Nitro still specs 10w-30. I thought my dad was crazy when he told me it was 10w-30.

I had to look at the manual myself,because I didn't believe him.

Originally Posted By: addyguy
Want hassles with your warranty? It's an 09, so I'm assuming youare still under the factory warranty.

Unless you do, stick with 10W-30, just use a synthetic version - it will start fine with that in the cold - M1 10W-30, PP 10W-30.

Don't agree with that.
Chrysler spec's a 10W-30 dino.
If you're going to go synthetic don't waste your money on a 10W-30 which has been rendered obsolete by the 5W-30 syn grade.

As others have mentioned M1 0W-30 is also an excellent choice.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back