0W-20 vs. 5W-20 in Modular V-8

Status
Not open for further replies.
On the next oil change in my '09 Crown Vic, I am planning on switching to Mobil 1's 0W-20 AFE from my current fill of Mobil 1 5W-20. For those of you that have this engine and switched to the 0W-20, were any noticeable differences encountered? i.e. start-up noise, fuel economy, consumption?

I compared the viscosity numbers between the two and the 0W-20 is slightly lighter than the 5W-20...as expected.

Two members here, 2010 FX4 and Tig1, have demonstrated the benefits of using Mobil 1's 0W-20. It appears to be an excellent oil with great basestocks and cold flow properties.

With my car, there was no "seat of the pants" difference that I felt. However, the fuel mileage may have gone up a tick (they only claim a gain of 2% anyway), but I like the idea of a lighter oil at startup (esp. in the winter). My oil consumption may have gone up a slight bit, but I attribute that to the lighter weight. I say go for it, it won't hurt.

If you really want to try a top 0w20 you should go to a Toyota dealership and score some TGMO 0w20. Bring your empty jugs and get them filled or buy the single quarts if you want to pay for them. TGMO is much lighter at all temperaturestthan AFE 0w20.

If TGMO 0w20 doesn't give you a fuel economy boost the AFE surely won't. It might be a couple bucks more than AFE, but if it saves you gas you might come out ahead.

Originally Posted By: 901Memphis
If you really want to try a top 0w20 you should go to a Toyota dealership and score some TGMO 0w20. Bring your empty jugs and get them filled or buy the single quarts if you want to pay for them. TGMO is much lighter at all temperaturestthan AFE 0w20.

If TGMO 0w20 doesn't give you a fuel economy boost the AFE surely won't. It might be a couple bucks more than AFE, but if it saves you gas you might come out ahead.

Yes, it is much lighter and is an OEM lubricant that doesn't carry any recommendations for Ford or GM applications, unlike the Mobil products (AFE and EP) which BOTH carry recommendations for Ford and GM applications that spec 5w-20 and 0w-20:

http://www.mobil.com/USA-English/Lubes/PDS/GLXXENPVLMOMobil_1_0W-20_Advanced_Fuel_Economy.aspx

Quote:
Mobil 1 0W-20 Advanced Fuel Economy is recommended by ExxonMobil for SAE 5W-20 and 0W-20 applications in all types of gasoline fueled passenger cars, SUV’s, vans, and light trucks.

Quote:
Mobil 1 0W-20 Advanced Fuel Economy meets or exceeds the requirements of: Ford WSS-M2C947-A
Mobil 1 0W-20 has the following builder approvals: General Motors Service Fill dexos1™ (license number GB1D0415015)

http://www.mobil.com/USA-English/Lubes/PDS/GLXXENPVLMOMobil_1_Extended_Performance.aspx

Quote:
Mobil 1 Extended Performance meets or exceeds the requirements of: Ford WSS-M2C947-A
Mobil 1 Extended Performance has the following builder approvals: dexos1™ (license number GB1D1009015)

And neither oil is likely to yield a perceptible increase in fuel economy over a conventional 5w-20, certainly not enough of one to pay for the difference in price between something like PYB and TGMO/AFE/EP.

The only way the more expensive oil would pay for itself would be through extended drains. Or if the OP lived in Edmonton, Alaska or the Yukon and could actually benefit from the better cold flow characteristics of the AFE/EP products.

Update: just changed the oil today with the 0W-20 AFE. I track my gas mileage with an excel spreadsheet, so I will be able to see if any increase results from the 0W vs. 5W. I doubt I'll see much.

Originally Posted By: synthetic_crazy
Update: just changed the oil today with the 0W-20 AFE. I track my gas mileage with an excel spreadsheet, so I will be able to see if any increase results from the 0W vs. 5W. I doubt I'll see much.

AFE FTW!! TGMO costs more and I am skeptical you would gain anything over AFE.

Originally Posted By: 2010_FX4

2010_FX4, I have to say that your 15k mile oil analysis really gave me the confidence to switch to the 0W-20 AFE. Thank you for your contributions to this site.

Originally Posted By: 2010_FX4

2010_FX4, I have to say that your 15k mile oil analysis really gave me the confidence to switch to the 0W-20 AFE. Thank you for your contributions to this site.

...his 10k mile oci on MS5K 5w20 did the same for me. I second your accolades.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: mercuryblues
However, the fuel mileage may have gone up a tick (they only claim a gain of 2% anyway), but I like the idea of a lighter oil at startup (esp. in the winter)

You forgot the magic words of marketing: "Up to..."

Honda's internal testing before 2009 shows a 1.5% improvement in a 1.0L test engine. Source

The biggest benefit for the upcoming polar vortex winter would be cold flow. 0w is only .05mPa thinner in HTHS viscosity so it's not really that different, plus with better base stocks it will resist shearing better.

I'm a big believer in 0w oils and use them in all the vehicles that move in the winter.

Originally Posted By: OVERKILL
Originally Posted By: 901Memphis

Yes, it is much lighter and is an OEM lubricant that doesn't carry any recommendations for Ford or GM applications, unlike the Mobil products (AFE and EP) which BOTH carry recommendations for Ford and GM applications that spec 5w-20 and 0w-20:

http://www.mobil.com/USA-English/Lubes/PDS/GLXXENPVLMOMobil_1_0W-20_Advanced_Fuel_Economy.aspx

Quote:
Mobil 1 0W-20 Advanced Fuel Economy is recommended by ExxonMobil for SAE 5W-20 and 0W-20 applications in all types of gasoline fueled passenger cars, SUV’s, vans, and light trucks.

Quote:
Mobil 1 0W-20 Advanced Fuel Economy meets or exceeds the requirements of: Ford WSS-M2C947-A
Mobil 1 0W-20 has the following builder approvals: General Motors Service Fill dexos1™ (license number GB1D0415015)

http://www.mobil.com/USA-English/Lubes/PDS/GLXXENPVLMOMobil_1_Extended_Performance.aspx

Quote:
Mobil 1 Extended Performance meets or exceeds the requirements of: Ford WSS-M2C947-A
Mobil 1 Extended Performance has the following builder approvals: dexos1™ (license number GB1D1009015)

And neither oil is likely to yield a perceptible increase in fuel economy over a conventional 5w-20, certainly not enough of one to pay for the difference in price between something like PYB and TGMO/AFE/EP.

The only way the more expensive oil would pay for itself would be through extended drains. Or if the OP lived in Edmonton, Alaska or the Yukon and could actually benefit from the better cold flow characteristics of the AFE/EP products.

It's great Mobil says 0w-20 AFE meets/exceeds Ford WSS-M2C947-A, but if your Ford specs 5W-20, the relevant standard is WSS-M2C945-A. While Mobil offers a generic statement that its 0W-20 is appropriate for 5W-20 applications, they don't say it meets the ...945-A standard. Wouldn't take much space on the PDS to do so, leaving some of us under warranty to wonder if it's a risk.

Exceeds>meets

I would love to have a dealer tell me to use an oil that is inferior to the M1 0wXX

Originally Posted By: SHOZ
Exceeds>meets

I would love to have a dealer tell me to use an oil that is inferior to the M1 0wXX

Yet I bet if you ask Ford, they will say WSS-M2C945-A is the requirement. And if Mobil doesn't say it meets/exceeds that standard, Ford won't say it's OK to use. Try it.

Originally Posted By: Danh

It's great Mobil says 0w-20 AFE meets/exceeds Ford WSS-M2C947-A, but if your Ford specs 5W-20, the relevant standard is WSS-M2C945-A. While Mobil offers a generic statement that its 0W-20 is appropriate for 5W-20 applications, they don't say it meets the ...945-A standard. Wouldn't take much space on the PDS to do so, leaving some of us under warranty to wonder if it's a risk.

On the Canadian site:

http://www.mobil.ca/Canada-English-LCW/carengineoils_products_mobil-1_afe-0w20.aspx#

Quote:

Mobil 1 0W-20 Advanced Fuel Economy meets or exceeds the requirements of:
ACEA A1/B1
API SN,SM,SL,SJ
ILSAC GF-5
Ford WSS-M2C945-A
Mobil 1 0W-20 has the following builder approvals:
General Motors Service Fill dexos1™ (license number GB1D0415015)
According to Imperial Oil, Mobil 1 0W-20 Advanced Fuel Economy is of the following quality level:
Ford WSS-M2C930-A
General Motors GM 6094M
API CF

LOL!!

947 is newer. I'm not sure if it supersedes/encapsulates 945 or not but that is something to look into.

On the Canadian site:

http://www.mobil.ca/Canada-English-LCW/carengineoils_products_mobil-1_afe-0w20.aspx#

Quote:

ACEA A1/B1
API SN,SM,SL,SJ
ILSAC GF-5
Ford WSS-M2C945-A
According to Imperial Oil, Mobil 1 0W-20 Advanced Fuel Economy is of the following quality level:
Ford WSS-M2C930-A
General Motors GM 6094M
API CF

LOL!!

947 is newer. I'm not sure if it supersedes 945 or not but that is something to look into.

947 is for Ford's 0w-20 hybrid applications and 945 is still active. Can't imagine why the Candian and U.S. PDS information differs. Mobil could make it easier for the 6 or so people who actually care about this stuff...

On the Canadian site:

Quote:

ACEA A1/B1
API SN,SM,SL,SJ
ILSAC GF-5
Ford WSS-M2C945-A
Ford WSS-M2C930-A
General Motors GM 6094M
API CF

LOL!!

947 is newer. I'm not sure if it supersedes 945 or not but that is something to look into.

947 is for Ford's 0w-20 hybrid applications and 945 is still active. Can't imagine why the Candian and U.S. PDS information differs. Mobil could make it easier for the 6 or so people who actually care about this stuff...

Yes, but 947 is newer than 945. I'm wondering if 947 includes 945, IE 947 can be used in 945 applications. I imagine the Canadian site is older info, where a formal approval was held for 945 but then upgraded for 947, which the USA site shows, which is more current
21.gif

On the Canadian site:

Quote:

ACEA A1/B1
API SN,SM,SL,SJ
ILSAC GF-5
Ford WSS-M2C945-A
Ford WSS-M2C930-A
General Motors GM 6094M
API CF

LOL!!

Yes, but 947 is newer than 945. I'm wondering if 947 includes 945, IE 947 can be used in 945 applications. I imagine the Canadian site is older info, where a formal approval was held for 945 but then upgraded for 947, which the USA site shows, which is more current
21.gif

Fwiw, the 2015 Escape Owners' Manual (for example) still refers to only 945 for the 2.5/1.6L 5w/20 engines.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back