0w-20 recommendations...'23 Kia Soul 2.0 mpfi

gonna be getting a '23 kia soul 2.0 mpfi soon...financing fixed & awaiting delivery; looking for 0w-20 recommendations for diy oil changes after my 1 dealer freebie included in sale of car

just want oil recommendations...dealer service writer said they use Mobil 1; other sides of dealership family are CDRJ (pennzoil) & Mazda (castrol from what I'm told); plan to use hyundai/kia filters; thanks...

Pick your favorite, they will all work just fine. Congrats on the new car. My final choice was between the Soul and the Accent.

Wishing you many years and hundreds of thousands of miles of safe, reliable transportation.

All or at least most 0W20 oils(being full synthetic) are of the high(er) quality than even their same brand of 5W20 full synthetic motor oil.
I also believe that you can pick your favorite brand or just buy the lowest price that you can find. Be they from the large brand name on sale or the store brands such as SuperTech, AutoZone, PepBoys, AAP/CarQuest/FRAM. I don't think it matters. Yes, there are better 0W20 full synthetic oil by spec & additive pkg but your KIA Soul 2.0L(nor anything that I drive) will ever know the difference in the next 200,000 miles as long as you keep with good maintenance.

I just purchased a 2022 Soul LX - I think it's a great package! I'm a little weary with respect to the engine and oil because of the issues Hyundai/Kia has had in the past. I'm optimistic that returning to MPFI will help with carbon issues and that they've finally put the oil tension ring issues to bed. My plan is 0W-40 Mobil 1 FS, OEM filters, and a can of Barryman B12 every 5k miles. If that's not sufficient then there's the warranty.

I'd get that 5 gallon pack from govets as described in the rebate section. I'll be running it in my prii.

I just purchased a 2022 Soul LX - I think it's a great package! I'm a little weary with respect to the engine and oil because of the issues Hyundai/Kia has had in the past. I'm optimistic that returning to MPFI will help with carbon issues and that they've finally put the oil tension ring issues to bed. My plan is 0W-40 Mobil 1 FS, OEM filters, and a can of Barryman B12 every 5k miles. If that's not sufficient then there's the warranty.
You're going to run 0W-40 in a brand new car that calls for 0W-20, while it's still under warranty...am I reading that correctly?

Ed

Any extended protection/drain oil 0w20 will be good. New oil with Dexos1Gen3 is also a good choice.
My personal choice will be Valvoline.
Congrats on getting a new car and happy driving!

Pick your favorite, they will all work just fine. Congrats on the new car. My final choice was between the Soul and the Accent.

Wishing you many years and hundreds of thousands of miles of safe, reliable transportation.
How long have you been keeping your Korean bleep? Bold statement!!! Lol

You're going to run 0W-40 in a brand new car that calls for 0W-20, while it's still under warranty...am I reading that correctly?

Ed
Yup...I have years worth of 0W20 receipts on file and since I KNOW 0W40 is NEVER going to be the cause of a catastrophic engine problem, I have zero problems telling them that's what I put in there. With the Fumoto drain I can have the 0W40 out and 0W20 in in under 5 mins.

gonna be getting a '23 kia soul 2.0 mpfi soon...financing fixed & awaiting delivery; looking for 0w-20 recommendations for diy oil changes after my 1 dealer freebie included in sale of car

just want oil recommendations...dealer service writer said they use Mobil 1; other sides of dealership family are CDRJ (pennzoil) & Mazda (castrol from what I'm told); plan to use hyundai/kia filters; thanks...
Pennzoil Ultra Platinum 0w-20. PUP is a "Thick" 0w-20.

With oil supply (which is the best cover band of Air Supply songs) being so slim, I'm going to be relegated to either Federated private label jugs, or Supertech. I really don't care either way, the 4Runner doesn't burn a drop of whatever goes in it, and it runs just fine.

thanks...good mix of answers; I got some research to do about different brands & their marketing claims (extended vs normal blends)

Yup...I have years worth of 0W20 receipts on file and since I KNOW 0W40 is NEVER going to be the cause of a catastrophic engine problem, I have zero problems telling them that's what I put in there. With the Fumoto drain I can have the 0W40 out and 0W20 in in under 5 mins.
I suppose what would worry me, with a brand new vehicle, is the dealer or factory denying a claim IF you do have a/any problem. It would be "a walk in the park" for them to tell you "it's your problem" because you didn't use what the engineers recommended.

In other words, I see the risk while it's under warranty...but *I* don't see the gain. But, that's me.

Ed

I suppose what would worry me, with a brand new vehicle, is the dealer or factory denying a claim IF you do have a/any problem. It would be "a walk in the park" for them to tell you "it's your problem" because you didn't use what the engineers recommended.

In other words, I see the risk while it's under warranty...but *I* don't see the gain. But, that's me.

Ed
How on earth would they EVER know? Come on Ed, if the engine has issues and I produce a log with 0W20 receipts? Not to mention I'm not kidding when I say I can have 0W20 in the sump in under 5 mins with no tools and a bucket. No one is ever going to look at me with the history of Hyundai/Kia engines and question what I say. Better yet, if they scope the engine all they'll find is an engine that was clearly well maintained with high-quality oil at the severe use interval. I'm just not worried in the least.

The upside to me is the increased HT/HS on an engine from a manufacturer that traditionally likes to burn oil after some miles are put on them. Is going to correct an oil ring problem? Nope. Does it maximize my chances of keeping it as long as possible? Possibly. Why do it then? There are no downsides.

Last edited:
Back