08 kia sportage 2.0 no compression in 1& 3 after timing belt broke

283,000 miles timing belt broke while driving. Replaced no compression on cylinder 1 and 3. I'm assuming it now needs valve job. Motor turns freely no unusual noises. Took valve cover off and everything moving properly. If I change valves will it fix problem?

Thanks I was figuring that was what was needed, just not looking forward to it.

You sure you put the timing belt on correctly? If it was put on 180 degrees off wouldn't some of the valves be open on the compression stroke? Assuming it's non-interference engine.

Putting the timing belt on out of time would affect all cylinders equally.

283,000 miles timing belt broke while driving. Replaced no compression on cylinder 1 and 3. I'm assuming it now needs valve job. Motor turns freely no unusual noises. Took valve cover off and everything moving properly. If I change valves will it fix problem?
Rats! Original belt?

I'm not sure if the engines are the same in a 2000-2008 Sportage, but my wife's car blew a belt on her 2000, and it ran fine after they replaced the belt. Apparently is wasn't a interference engine.,,

Bent valves, Is it really worth all the work AND money for a HYUNDAI with almost 300,000 miles on it? I would say she gave up the ghost on that one.

How many miles were on that belt. Surely it couldn't have lasted 283k.

But nonetheless she's mashed potatoes now.

It's not worth the time to take the heads off, simply removing the spark plugs to check with a snake camera to see cylinder damage on all of them should be enough. If that steak looks well done inside just chuck it and get another.

It’s an interference engine so……I’m sure you have a few bent valves. Pull the head and do all the work or buy a used engine with fewer mile.

That year Sportage was still using the 2.0L Beta II in the 4 cyl models. It’s worth saving if the rest of the car and transmission is in good shape. That’s a solid engine.

General but related question:

I know there are quite a few non-interference SOHC engines.

Are there any non-interference DOHC engines?

Back