'08 Chevy AVEO : any owners ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a hard time understanding how a car so small like an Aveo can only get 24 MPG in the city, GM sells thousands of these cars to people who think they are getting a real economy car when in reality they really are not. I have owned a lot of small cars over the years and I know that my 2000 Focus got gas mileage than an Aveo and was actually pretty roomy inside.

I own a Yaris, as a few people on here know. EPA ratings are only 29/35 on my car, yet, with dilligence, I am now filling up consistently at around 33mpg, doing 90-95% city driving.

Part of the Yaris's good fuel mileage is DFCO - Deceleration Fuel Cut-Off. Basically uses absolutely zero fuel when you lift your foot off of the accelerator (with revs over 1200rpm). This is a simple ECU re-design, and I can't really understand why GM hasn't implemented it on the Aveo.

I also agree that a timing belt is a step backwards, but there is alot worse that can be done.

Originally Posted By: firemachine69
Part of the Yaris's good fuel mileage is DFCO - Deceleration Fuel Cut-Off. Basically uses absolutely zero fuel when you lift your foot off of the accelerator (with revs over 1200rpm). This is a simple ECU re-design, and I can't really understand why GM hasn't implemented it on the Aveo.

Is this cut-off technology something unusual/rare on automatics? It's been used for years if not decades on most manual-equipped cars, GM included.

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete

Is this cut-off technology something unusual/rare on automatics? It's been used for years if not decades on most manual-equipped cars, GM included.

My 1988 Mustang GT has that. Yes, that's a 20-year-old car so "decades" is appropriate here.

It's unusual to find it in the overdrive gear, but fairly common in the lower gears (I'm speaking auto transmission here).

And yes, it's old-school technology.

Pretty easy to figure out if you have it or not... Bring your revs up to a good speed for the gear in question... If it feels like your car is being 'pushed back' after you lift your foot off the accelerator (previously holding it at a light, steady application), you have DFCO. If it lurches forward, or seems to have little effect in reducing your speed, you don't. If you are still unsure if your final overdrive gear ('D') has DFCO, do the same technique, at the same speed, then repeat the procedure, except this time, throw your shifter into neutral by pushing up... If you don't notice a difference, you likely do not have DFCO.

Commercial drivers who use 'Jake Brakes' know what I'm talking about.

Last edited:
Almost 2000 miles on the Aveo now and still couldn't be happier. The timing belt is not a serious issue at all. It has a change interval of 60000miles, cost $30 and is extremely accessible for the DIY mechanic. A lot of 4 cylinder engines have a belt instead of a chain...why is it only a liability on the Aveo?

I just finished a week in an '08 Aveo rental car (auto trans). For the most part an ok car.....but I was suprised at the low in town mileage. Right around 23 mpg or so.

Originally Posted By: Buick92
I have a hard time understanding how a car so small like an Aveo can only get 24 MPG in the city, GM sells thousands of these cars to people who think they are getting a real economy car when in reality they really are not. I have owned a lot of small cars over the years and I know that my 2000 Focus got gas mileage than an Aveo and was actually pretty roomy inside.

I'm thinking most people who buy those do so because they're cheap. Fuel economy is a secondary concern. If you ONLY care about getting from point A to point B and back, I can think of much worse cars than the Aveo. Besides which, an Aveo can be had new for the same or less than many other used cars. That's bound to sit well with some buyers.

well the yaris has a timing chain, so it makes a huge difference. most folks can't do a timing belt and labor involved would be pricey. usually timing belt failures, mean total engine failure. another negative.

Originally Posted By: firemachine69
It's unusual to find it in the overdrive gear, but fairly common in the lower gears (I'm speaking auto transmission here).

If the transmission is in overdrive and the torque converter is locked up and you take your foot off the gas, you should be getting deceleration fuel cut off.

I've noticed that on some cars with automatics the tach drops to idle speed (500-700RPM or so) when you take your foot off the gas. Others, the tach stays above idle speed (2000RPM or so).

I'd venture to guess that the ones where the engine speed remains above idle with your foot off the gas have DCFO.

Originally Posted By: CentralNY1
...A lot of 4 cylinder engines have a belt instead of a chain...why is it only a liability on the Aveo?

It's a liability on an Aveo because they are a known timing belt 'spitter' anywhere from the ~30K mile range on. They are also an interference engine such that I've never heard of one that didn't smash valves after loosing the belt. The cool things about them is they use an Aisin-Warner automatic with a drain plug and dipstick and the 5yr/100Kmi covers the timing belt, so all you really have to do is follow GMs recommendations for T-belt replacement @ 60K, and let them buy you a new head and/or engine if it fails before then. I know on the Daewoo 2.2L, the T-belt idler would loose it's bearings causing the belt to fail. Not sure if that's the issue with the 1.6L. I like the Aveo. It is what it is. A little econo car. The worry about the ~24MPG thing cracks me up. This car has got to get 34mpg+ with steady hywy cruising and probably beat that 24mpg with your average city driving.

Joel

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back