07 Camry LE, AT - many poor owner's reivews

Status
Not open for further replies.
Quote:

I thought it was the V6 Camrys having all the problems with the transmissions slipping within the first 1k miles or so. The 4-cylinder has the common drive-by-wire problem, but they've come out with an ECU reflash that fixes that.

I think the 6-speed AT transmission issues were limited to the early build 07 models. Not all of the affected transmission failed. Some of them just had hard shifts and flares. I don't hear about widespread problems with the later builds, so I think the problem has been resolved. The 07 Camry V6 that my dad and I test drove last week was excellent...no hesitation or shift problems at all.

Don't know about the 4-cyl ones, but I found it interesting that CR themselves were only giving the 07 4-cyl 2/5 stars in the area of "engine issues, minor." Predicted reliability was only 3/5 overall, I think. The V6 surprisingly, had much better ratings in the area of reliability.

I owned a 95 Camry and while I wont say it was a piece of junk, when it did break it was the most expensive car to fix I have owned in a long time. I about choked when they quoted me the price on a steering rack! I bought it from a place that I had dealt with before "Any steering rack for $399", so when I went to replace the leaking one on the Camry and they said, "oh it's a Camry? those cost more, that will be $795" I about pooped myself. Power window door switch? Owwwww. Camry's are what they are, transportation.

Quote:

I see '07 Camry LEs advertised by all of the local dealers every weekend for $18.5-$19k. That's about $2500-$3000 off MSRP. Where do you live?

LE 5spd's are advertised at ~$19K in my area. You have to read the fine-print to see it's a 5spd & you will rarely see one on a lot. You won't touch an LE automatic for less than $20K+ in Buffalo NY.

Joel

10+ years ago with the new 1997 model year dealers had the LE marked $20k, so a new one today at 20k must be a better deal considering the depreciation of currency.

My friend with a 1999 LE(4) had the driver's door handle break. Took it to dealer to replace to door handle and when they removed the panel said they had to replace the window motor too. (The window hadn't had problems yet.)

Bill: $600

I don't know how that compares to other makes.

Quote:

Quote:

I see '07 Camry LEs advertised by all of the local dealers every weekend for $18.5-$19k. That's about $2500-$3000 off MSRP. Where do you live?

LE 5spd's are advertised at ~$19K in my area. You have to read the fine-print to see it's a 5spd & you will rarely see one on a lot. You won't touch an LE automatic for less than $20K+ in Buffalo NY.

Joel

Can't speak for your area, but I just checked the ads and they were listed as automatics. There were no shortages of the LE 4-cyl/Auto combo advertised units when I went to the dealer last week.

"Tauri"

banana.gif

That one word tickled me innards'.

I am easily amused, I suppose.

Any of you gents read about the camshaft problem with SOME of the 5.7 engines in that new BIG Toyota pick-up?

Some break. Splat.

Toyota owned up to the problem and does what needs done.

Coot was upset with GMC/Chevy about less-than-expected warranty work quality from dealers and lackadaisical attitude of corporate GMC.

Did some searching at message boards for other makes. Gosh, the same complaints there!!!! In some cases even worse problems and corporate attitudes reported!!!!

So, looks as if customer service is becoming a variable. With Chevy it appears that some parts of the country consumers have problems while others do fine. Same with Nissan, Toyota, etc. A weird situation.

Makes me feel better to read that others also gripe and moan. Pondered for awhile that just maybe I should have bought a Toyota pick-up but... considering the price I paid I did get a lot of truck for the buck and a truck built to endure the harsh climate and lousy roads so common in the geo-political area. I see the "big three" trucks outlasting those from Toyota and Nissan. Out in California with its much more forgiving climate the ferrin' trucks last longer than hereabouts.

Oh well.

Oh.... Toyota Camry. Looked at it and the Corolla and the trucks. Still went Chevy. Wanted a vehicle I could live in if my prognosticated future economic woes did come about. Kinda' tough living in a Camry or Corolla.

Quote:

I owned a 95 Camry and while I wont say it was a piece of junk, when it did break it was the most expensive car to fix I have owned in a long time. I about choked when they quoted me the price on a steering rack! I bought it from a place that I had dealt with before "Any steering rack for $399", so when I went to replace the leaking one on the Camry and they said, "oh it's a Camry? those cost more, that will be $795" I about pooped myself. Power window door switch? Owwwww. Camry's are what they are, transportation.

Sir, I hope they gave you some sugar cause you got popped.
laugh.gif
You can buy a reman rack from the Toyota dealer for less than 400 bucks. We buy them from a local rebuilder all day long for 150 bucks. They saw you coming and popped you a new one. Don't blame Toyota for that.
nono.gif

Let me stir the pot a bit.
A Toyota is not a Honda, but I have no doubt that a new Camry would be a very satisfactory car. Toyotas may have had certain well documented problems over the years (let's talk about sludge), but many other maker's cars have as well.
Overall, a Camry is probably as good as any car out there, other than an Accord.

06Ranger, it would have helped if you could have lifted a few examples of the complaints ... rather than provide the links (which I didn't really want to follow).

But like others, it seems a few people are annoyed with the shift logic of the tranny ... as opposed to getting stranded somewhere when some lousy component failed.

And yes, I think a place like Yahoo Reviews is used disproportionately by cranks with an agenda.

Hey John Browning, welcome to the wonderful world of former car salesmen. Salud!
cheers2.gif

Ged:

Arguing Accord vs Camry is sort of like debating the merits of the varieties of chocolate ice cream available at Baskin-Robbins. My wife is partial to Chocolate Mousse Royale. I prefer the Chocolate Fudge flavor. I've owned a Honda, and multiple Toyotas. The Accord and Camry smell different, different bits feel or look different. But in the end, I really don't see one as "better" than the other (though I am concerned about some of the things I've been hearing about the latest Camry, though I saw none of them on the rental 07 I had). An individual who chooses one or the other, for the right reasons, has a very high probability of having a long, happy car ownership experience.
cheers.gif

Bror Jace,

I didn't see the necessity to site specific examples. The forum has many, not just the occasional naysayer, that you see in most models.

Pretend Mechanic, A lot has changed in the automotive industry and pricing over the years, although someone who pretends to be in the industry wouldn't know that, would they?

In order to be fair I will say this! The 07 interior was designed completely by Lear Corp. as in the Lear Seats etc...I do not like the 07's interior at all.

Elk,
You are perhaps the most measured and restrained member here, but in this case, I must repectfully disagree.
The Accord is a closet sport sedan, largely because of its engine, while the Camry is a poor man's Lexus.
Own a Honda, and you will know the joy of an engine that lives to rev. There is a reason that the Accord consistently wins Car&Drivers' yearly family sedan comparison test, and it's not because the magazine is snubbing those firms which buy more pages than Honda does.

Ged, we all have opinions.

IMO, when you say "joy" I hear "annoyance and aggravation". I'd much rather have a low revving high torque engine than a whiny, obnoxious high revver. Sports sedan be ****ed, give me a big V8 any day that I can cruise around in turning just a tick over idle.

I will give you that Honda has made the seats in the Accord uncomfortable enough to justify calling it "sporty".

Quote:

Elk,
You are perhaps the most measured and restrained member here, but in this case, I must repectfully disagree.
The Accord is a closet sport sedan, largely because of its engine, while the Camry is a poor man's Lexus.
Own a Honda, and you will know the joy of an engine that lives to rev. There is a reason that the Accord consistently wins Car&Drivers' yearly family sedan comparison test, and it's not because the magazine is snubbing those firms which buy more pages than Honda does.

OK, revise the analogy to chocolate and strawberry. My point is simply that Camry and Accord are similar, yet notably different, answers to the mass-market, five-passenger sedan question. BTW, as it is with mstrjon, I too prefer torque-biased engines, versus a high revver, but then, that's just me. I also really don't like the dual-personality response of the basic VTEC engines. I much prefer the seamless variable valve timing schemes -- such as Toyota's VVT-i. But of course, to each his own.
cheers.gif

Quote:

Pretend Mechanic, A lot has changed in the automotive industry and pricing over the years, although someone who pretends to be in the industry wouldn't know that, would they?

That's exactly why you don't have a clue what a rack for a Camry costs. Would you like a written estimate or perhaps the toll free number to my local Toyota dealer's parts dept? I'm sorry you got popped by someone who saw you coming... well ,no i'm not, you got what was coming to you.
I installed a rack in a 92 Camry not too long ago. $475 plus the alignment = $535. That's not difficult math for me anyway. Now, go ask one of your buddies what you should say next
laugh.gif

Quote:

Quote:

Elk,

OK, revise the analogy to chocolate and strawberry. My point is simply that Camry and Accord are similar, yet notably different, answers to the mass-market, five-passenger sedan question. BTW, as it is with mstrjon, I too prefer torque-biased engines, versus a high revver, but then, that's just me. I also really don't like the dual-personality response of the basic VTEC engines. I much prefer the seamless variable valve timing schemes -- such as Toyota's VVT-i. But of course, to each his own.
cheers.gif

I agree in respect to the i-vetec system compared to the VVT-i. Both are completely reliable but my Accord's i-vetec system is much less refined than the Camry's VVT-i upon accelleration. The VVT-i is less prone to particle restrictions as well. I am not saying Honda's system isn't well-thought out becouse it is. It delivers great power with super gas mileage but it's just not as polished or should I say seamless in it's function.
I love both cars and have owned both. The present generation Accord won me becouse of the Camry's ever-increasing size. The Camry's interior seemed to be styled toward catching the eye of someone who would enjoy a Buick whereas the Accord seems more detailed and sporty. Owning both would cater to whatever mood one would be in.
wink.gif

Pretend mechanic. Your use of smiley faces all the time is sooooo cute! I'll say it again, things change in the automotive industry. Since I've been in it a few years longer than you, I can tell you in 10 years when this all happened, rebuilding programs change, imported parts from a very large country in Asia effect pricing, and sometimes even prices go up and down on parts for a 4 year old Toyota. Nice of you to add to discussions things like smiley faces, references to your buddies in Nascar, and little winks.....I bet your "customers" think you are cute too.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back