06 Pontiac Vibe, 0w30 M-1 okay to use?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Fill cap calls for 5W30, but I am looking for fuel savings, if it won't hurt anything. Entering spring in the pacific northwest, so not worried about freezing tempatures by the time the next change comes around.

Is that engine back-specd to use 5w-20? Either way, I might consider 5w-20 if you're looking for fuel savings. 1.8 Toyota engine, right? I know the 2.4 is back-specd.

No, though, 0w30 won't hurt anything and would give a small improvement, especially if you take mostly short trips.

Last edited:
20 wt has been back spec'd for this engine. I mixed 50% Mobil 1 0w20 with my 50% Mobil 1 15w50 EP. haven't burned a drop in 11k miles!

Last edited:
What do you guys mean when you say 'back spec'd'? I notice that the new vibes (2009) call for 5w20.

Originally Posted By: tmundal
What do you guys mean when you say 'back spec'd'? I notice that the new vibes (2009) call for 5w20.

it means its okay to use it now in some of the older motors.

Originally Posted By: daves87rs
New Vibes really use 5w20?

Thats what the fill caps call for.

New Vibes definitely use 5w20. Back specd means that Toyota has sent a TSB out to dealers stating not just that the warranty now covers 5w20 use, but that 5w20 is now the preferred fill for these cars. I'm not sure about the 1.8, but this is definitely the case with the 2.4.

There is quite a bit of politics behind this, that I don't want to steer this post into. Suffice to say, if you want the best FE you can get 5w-20 is what you should use. Some will tell you this will increase the wear on your engine over 5w-30 use. Others will point out that it's good enough for Toyota, and there's tons of cars using it, and plenty of UOA's showing no increased wear. And it gets uglier from there....

the '09 1.8 ltr. engine for VIBE , MATRIX , and COROLLA are a bit different than those of previous years . Thus the 5w-20 printed on the oil cap of new generation 1.8 ltr.. Used synthetic PENNZOIL Platinum 5w-20 in place of the PLATINUM 5w-30 in '08 YARIS that 5w-30 is printed on oil cap and in owners manual . Gained very little , if nothing in mileage . Did notice a bit more pep when climbing hills , along with more engine noise . So , drained it and went back to synthetic 5w-30 and enjoying less noise and whining of engine when revving , climbing hills , or on the interstate . The car being under warranty made me a bit twitchy during the use of the 5w-20 as well . Now using SHELL 5w-30 full synthetic and liking it . It's your car and your call otherwise . GOOD LUCK .

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: tmundal

It means the 06 Fill cap calls for 5W-30, but the manufacturer now says that you can use 5W-20 in the 06 model (as is the case with newer models from the start).

Originally Posted By: smokey1
the '09 1.8 ltr. engine for VIBE , MATRIX , and COROLLA are a bit different than those of previous years . Thus the 5w-20 printed on the oil cap of new generation 1.8 ltr.. Used synthetic PENNZOIL Platinum 5w-20 in place of the PLATINUM 5w-30 in '08 YARIS that 5w-30 is printed on oil cap and in owners manual . Gained very little , if nothing in mileage . Did notice a bit more pep when climbing hills , along with more engine noise . So , drained it and went back to synthetic 5w-30 and enjoying less noise and whining of engine when revving , climbing hills , or on the interstate . The car being under warranty made me a bit twitchy during the use of the 5w-20 as well . Now using SHELL 5w-30 full synthetic and liking it . It's your car and your call otherwise . GOOD LUCK .

This is my personal experience with the toyota 1.8L in our 08 corolla. Noisier motor, & no mpg increase, on the 20w oil. I've also noticed oil consumption with the 20w.
This fall it's getting Amsoil SSO 0w30 and EAO filter. The 20w that's in it now is Amsoil ASM 0w20, and it will NEVER get 20w again.

My vote is to stick with the 30w.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back