06 Colorado, Dreaded P0305 Code...GM says SOL

Status
Not open for further replies.
Those are basically wear item that get replaced with a 'good' reman job. I wouldn't write off a reman from a good known shop. I'm sure the problem is well-known by most folks in the business.

Originally Posted By: 2004tdigls
just replace the engine, you get get one for 1-2 K on ebay

https://www.ebay.com/itm/2017-Chevrolet-Colorado-3-6L-Engine-Motor-6cyl-OEM-3K-Miles-LKQ-169876531/362281091295?epid=16012159130&hash=item5459a2c0df:g:FfYAAOSw8zdaurCq

He has got a GMT355 platform … 4’s … 5’s … 8’s … 3.5L/3.7L/5.3L … no V6

easy solution: swap in an LS
19.gif

Originally Posted By: slacktide_bitog
easy solution: swap in an LS
19.gif

LS engines aren't cheap. Demand is so high from many people doing swaps that prices have gone up.
That said, a 4.8L may be found for reasonable cost. That is sort of the red-headed stepchild of the LS line.

Originally Posted By: Bottom_Feeder
Those are basically wear item that get replaced with a 'good' reman job. I wouldn't write off a reman from a good known shop. I'm sure the problem is well-known by most folks in the business.

+1 on that! If that's all it is its an easy fix for any competent automotive machine shop, have old head redone with new seats and guides. This is a big performance over nothing. Yank the head, give it to the shop, get a gasket set and put it back together. I bet its not hitting a grand done and dusted.

A reputable machine shop should be able to rebuild your existing head with new valves and new seats for well under $1000. At the shop I worked at this was a half day job and would've cost about $600 including parts and labor. If it was mine I'd rebuild the one I had over buying a GM head. But that's just me.

No way I'd spend $4,500.00 on a 12 year old truck.

There are known issues with trucks from all manufacturer's they refuse to acknowledge. For my year truck (not as serious as yours) there is a crack that develops on top of the dashboard by the airbag. So if the airbag ever activates-the dash around it will explode. They refuse to acknowledge it and it's a labor intensive $2,500.00 to $3,00.00 repair to replace dash. I had to pay out of pocket to fix it-it was a cosmetic repair for $100.00. I have no idea what will happen on airbag deployment.

RAM-seems to be a prevalent problem with rust (depending on where one lives).

Ford-between "fuel issues" with diesels and the occasional "Eco-boost" blowing up there are issues there as well.

GM-has the AFM issues that creep up even on the last few years old model Silverados/Sierra.

Then you have the argument-your truck is 12 years old and has over 100,000 miles on it. How long should manufacturers be responsible for their product?

Last edited:
Colorado

Apparently these are harder to work on than the normal truck. FWIW I was glad to get rid on my 2008 Colorado and it seems to be some kind of joint venture w/Isuzu. I got a decent trade for it on my Silverado and haven't looked back. That being said, I would find a shop who would do it cheaper.

I told my uncle about the head issue when I pulled a cyl 4 misfire code on his 2004 Isuzu Ascender 4.2L. Did the coil swapping trick and it looked like someone changed all the coil packs and plugs before. Looked like the PO wanted to unload it before the problem snowballs.

The GMT 360 is a totally bizarre platform and wouldn't recommend buying a used truck from this platform. Or buy one cheap and LS swap it.

I guess some people are just “lucky” sometimes. Good and Bad. The owner of this particular truck could try what I did with a Pontiac G5GT that I own. I took this car to a GM dealer for the ignition switch “airbag” recall. One week later while tying to start the car, there there was this “bang!” No start, no nothing. Had to have car towed back to the dealer thinking that during the recall something wasn’t put back together right. Dealer tells me that I have bad shorted electrical harness and that they didn’t do anything wrong and they want $300 for the repairs. I let them “fix” it because I needed this vehicle and didn’t have time to argue. They “fix” the harness and as I am driving away from the dealer the airbag light comes on and I also noticed the a/c blower fan was not working. Took it right back and I am ticked off. They take it back in and tell me my drivers side airbag is fried and they wanted $700 to replace it. It was pretty obvious to me that during the ignition switch recall my car’s wiring was damaged. The dealer refused to fix their screwup and I had to contact GM customer service. GM customer service gave me the run around so I then contacted GM corporate headquarters. I sent an email to Mary Barra GM’s CEO and believe it or not she actually responded. She must have lit a fire under GM customer service,because the next thing I know the dealer is doing everything they can to get my car fixed and they refunded all my money.

Originally Posted By: NYEngineer
I always wondered if a 5.3 would fit in one of those.

Check my signature … never spent a day in the shop and I beat the ——- out of that truck …

Originally Posted By: Kibitoshin
I told my uncle about the head issue when I pulled a cyl 4 misfire code on his 2004 Isuzu Ascender 4.2L. Did the coil swapping trick and it looked like someone changed all the coil packs and plugs before. Looked like the PO wanted to unload it before the problem snowballs.

The GMT 360 is a totally bizarre platform and wouldn't recommend buying a used truck from this platform. Or buy one cheap and LS swap it.

That’s the old Trailblazer … OP is GMT355 same as mine … shared things with the H3 …
(Louisiana plant)

Have you checked with the guys on 355 Nation? … loads of info and members who work on these trucks …

Originally Posted By: CKN

There are known issues with trucks from all manufacturer's they refuse to acknowledge. For my year truck (not as serious as yours) there is a crack that develops on top of the dashboard by the airbag. So if the airbag ever activates-the dash around it will explode. They refuse to acknowledge it and it's a labor intensive $2,500.00 to $3,00.00 repair to replace dash. I had to pay out of pocket to fix it-it was a cosmetic repair for $100.00. I have no idea what will happen on airbag deployment.

Ford-between "fuel issues" with diesels and the occasional "Eco-boost" blowing up there are issues there as well.

GM-has the AFM issues that creep up even on the last few years old model Silverados/Sierra.

Then you have the argument-your truck is 12 years old and has over 100,000 miles on it. How long should manufacturers be responsible for their product?

And this is why I keep expertly maintaining my 20 year old gas V8 truck that's worth next to nothing, but is worth everything in the amount of work it can do.

I'm not saying the OP should drop 4.5K on an engine, but who wants to spend 40K + on a new truck and still have the issues you mention above. .02

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: SOHCman
Originally Posted By: CKN

And this is why I keep expertly maintaining my 20 year old gas V8 truck that's worth next to nothing, but is worth everything in the amount of work it can do.

I'm not saying the OP should drop 4.5K on an engine, but who wants to spend 40K + on a new truck and still have the issues you mention above. .02

This. And they aren't getting any better. 6-8-10-12 speed transmissions. CVTs. DI LSPI. Extended OCIs.....All cars are [censored] due to EPA standards.

I stopped by the shop last night to get a couple things out of the truck, and talked to the shop owner. He is a member of a local association of independent auto repair shops, and they did a study on per repair costs by year. He says that since 2006-2007 and newer, the cost has skyrocketed due to designs of the auto to meet the CAFE standards. He says he feels like we are in the early 80's again.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: 4WD
Have you checked with the guys on 355 Nation? … loads of info and members who work on these trucks …

Yeah, I have been all over that forum since I bought the truck.

Originally Posted By: 4WD
Originally Posted By: NYEngineer
I always wondered if a 5.3 would fit in one of those.

Check my signature … never spent a day in the shop and I beat the ——- out of that truck …

Luckily your 5.3 does have the AFM, correct?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back