06 Colorado, Dreaded P0305 Code...GM says SOL

Status
Not open for further replies.
Do they even make a brand new casting for this? For some reason I get the feeling this is the head the GM dealer would be installing.
If its GM it probably has all the latest fixes, a reman head from other places is less than half that.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Brigadier
Originally Posted By: Mr Nice
Shop around and find a shop that can do it for a lot less than $4500

If not... trade it in for a newer truck.

Like any dealer would take it as is with a rough idle and a flashing CEL. I am debating on trading it in on a newer truck after it is fixed while I can get the most $$ for it, but I really don't need a car payment right now.

Honestly, I would rather pay the $4500 and know the repair was done right with a 30/30k warranty than save a few $$ now and be back here again later due to substandard work or cutting corners.

Could always scrap it or sell it for parts. Then put that 4,500 towards a different USED vehicle of the non-GM persuasion.

in 1984 on a new car after numerous oldsmobile shop visits which replaced the head gasket once or twice and surfaced the head once, they said they had made a "bad batch" of blocks, causing porosity and my 4 drops per night coolant leak.

They replaced the block, used all the internals and externals took a week.

Lets see, since then 2 or 3 hondas and lots of toyotas and one Nissan.

Last edited:
I will never buy a GM again.
Or, wild idea, buy one that isn’t known for being troublesome.

I bet it wouldn't take much work either. There is probably a kit available to make it a simple bolt in, put a 6.0 in it if you are going to that trouble.
For 4500 bucks I bet you could put 6.0 in it using low mile used parts, that would be a good sleeper.

Originally Posted By: NYEngineer
I always wondered if a 5.3 would fit in one of those.

It was an option in the later years.

Unfortunately, it is fatal if you just keep driving it, and they are 100% GM. That is probably the problem. If they were Nissan, they would last longer...LOL.

I'm tired of the ignorant comments. "If it was Nissan it would last longer". I'm never buying GM again" I knew what I was going to see when I opened this thread. You never disappoint. I'm going to give you some common sheep like advice. Go buy an Asian brand. They never have problems. The service departments at their dealers are going out of business because Asian vehicles are "BULLETPROOF" and they have no customers for repairs. It's like my Uncle. Tells me I'm lucky to have 160,000 Chevy. The next week, his brand new Nissan is leaving their driveway on a flatbed. I despise this bias toward American vehicles [censored]. Sick people, no pride.

Originally Posted By: DevilsRule
Unfortunately, it is fatal if you just keep driving it, and they are 100% GM. That is probably the problem. If they were Nissan, they would last longer...LOL.

I'm tired of the ignorant comments. "If it was Nissan it would last longer". I'm never buying GM again" I knew what I was going to see when I opened this thread. You never disappoint. I'm going to give you some common sheep like advice. Go buy an Asian brand. They never have problems. The service departments at their dealers are going out of business because Asian vehicles are "BULLETPROOF" and they have no customers for repairs. It's like my Uncle. Tells me I'm lucky to have 160,000 Chevy. The next week, his brand new Nissan is leaving their driveway on a flatbed. I despise this bias toward American vehicles [censored]. Sick people, no pride.

Wow, looks like a snowflake was triggered. Melt away snowflake. If you could read, you would have noticed the 'LOL' at the end of that statement. But I guess it is beyond your comprehension...

BTW, the last two Chevys I have had, have failed on my big time. My Astro's front subframe broke, from normal street driving. And now this head issue. BTW, Chevys and GMs have been in my family since 1972. So get off your ignorant high horse.

Last edited:
BTW, that reman head linked above, is just the head. No valves, springs, etc....

Originally Posted By: TheLawnRanger
Is this problem common on the 2012 Colorado?

Well, supposedly, according to Chevy, my 2006 truck was supposed to be fine because the SN was after the initial recall batch. But the TSB has been revised 3X and more and more model years have been added. So unless you have a 5.3 V8, you may be facing this down the line.

Last edited:
BTW, that reman head linked above, is just the head. No valves, springs, etc....

I don't see where it says it does not have valves or springs installed but I take your word for it, I don't doubt it does not include cams. You have those parts, replace any not in spec and use the rest.
Do you have a link to a brand new head casting?

Yes, what exactly is wrong with these heads? Is it a straight-up design fault that would carry over to a reman'd head? Were they just poorly cast or something?

It is my understanding that there are two possible issues.

First was the heat treating spec GM used for the valve seats was incorrect and the seats were too soft and they deformed.

The other issue is basically the same with the guides.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back