06 Colorado, Dreaded P0305 Code...GM says SOL

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Trav
For sure they can, many heads need heating to remove guides and seats, its a normal part of the job with aluminum heads.
The aluminum heads are not being heat treated but headed to expand the metal around the guides and seats making removal and installation easier and when it cools tightens around those parts to prevent loosening at operating temp.

If this was not done the result would be loose guides and dropped seats. A decent shop will also dye check the head and plane it with the correct surface finish for best sealing of the gasket.

So a local shop would know what spec to heat treat, temper, the valve seats too> Right. Took GM 3X to get it right, maybe...

Originally Posted By: SatinSilver
Originally Posted By: Brigadier
114k miles. Truck maintained meticulously. Daily driver. Not driven hard. I don't tow, I don't haul.

Where did you buy it from? I see it was six years old when you first bought it back in 2012.

In March I bought my first 4WD vehicle - 06 Colorado. My previous vehicle, 1990 Astro, was full time AWD.

Originally Posted By: Trav
For sure they can, many heads need heating to remove guides and seats, its a normal part of the job with aluminum heads.
The aluminum heads are not being heat treated but headed to expand the metal around the guides and seats making removal and installation easier and when it cools tightens around those parts to prevent loosening at operating temp.

If this was not done the result would be loose guides and dropped seats. A decent shop will also dye check the head and plane it with the correct surface finish for best sealing of the gasket.

So a local shop would know what spec to heat treat, temper, the valve seats too> Right. Took GM 3X to get it right, maybe...

What are you talking about with "temper"? There is nothing to temper, the head gets heated to a published spec so the seats which are already hardened can be removed and new ones pressed in, ditto the guides.
Once it cools these parts are locked in, a regular press fit without heating will loosen once the head is at to operating temp.

It may have taken GM 3 times to find the right materials for the guides but the seats IIRC correctly are Stellite but it didn't take them 3 tries to get the process of how to do it.

Yes 100% a good machinist at a well equipped shop could do this with ease, the specs are published and not a trade secret.
In fact they can do even better than factory engines that are mass produced, they can bore and hot hone the block with torque plates and hand fit the pistons and rings, this is usually only found on the more expensive engines in limited production models.

114k miles. Truck maintained meticulously. Daily driver. Not driven hard. I don't tow, I don't haul.

Where did you buy it from? I see it was six years old when you first bought it back in 2012.

In March I bought my first 4WD vehicle - 06 Colorado. My previous vehicle, 1990 Astro, was full time AWD.

You can't buy this kind of entertainment! I was under the impression he bought it new.....And I'm the Snowflake??

Originally Posted By: clinebarger
You can't buy this kind of entertainment! I was under the impression he bought it new.....And I'm the Snowflake??

Yes, quite the thread. I just noticed it earlier today under "recent topics". Don't feel bad I thought the same thing, that he bought it new. Then I looked at some of his previous threads that he started. Below is another one.
smile.gif

https://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/topics/2573622/Noob_question:_GC_in_2006_Chev#Post2573622

Originally Posted By: DevilsRule
Unfortunately, it is fatal if you just keep driving it, and they are 100% GM. That is probably the problem. If they were Nissan, they would last longer...LOL.

I'm tired of the ignorant comments. "If it was Nissan it would last longer". I'm never buying GM again" I knew what I was going to see when I opened this thread. You never disappoint. I'm going to give you some common sheep like advice. Go buy an Asian brand. They never have problems. The service departments at their dealers are going out of business because Asian vehicles are "BULLETPROOF" and they have no customers for repairs. It's like my Uncle. Tells me I'm lucky to have 160,000 Chevy. The next week, his brand new Nissan is leaving their driveway on a flatbed. I despise this bias toward American vehicles [censored]. Sick people, no pride.

I was as loyal to American made as it gets, having purchased 13 new American made vehicles in 30 years of driving. each vehicle ownership experience was worse than the one before. Each F150 I bought got worse mileage then the one before, and had more issues that Ford refused to acknowledge, until warranty was expired. My 2010 F150 had the blend air door actuator fail before the first set of brake pads wore out. I may be picky, but I believe my heating system should outlast the first set of brake pads. The original quote to fix the blend air door actuator was $1,200.00, I had to fight for a year (without heat or A.C.) to get any help from Ford, and still ended up paying several hundred dollars to replace a part that is a known failure fleet wide, from F150s to Lincolns.

There was my one experience with GM, a 1999 Silverado that was dead on the side of the road driving it home from the dealership the night I bought it. That was just the beginning of a 50,000 mile ordeal that involved three transmissions, a transfer case, and the rebuilding of both differentials. In the end, with the truck torn apart at the dealership, GM said they would pay for no more repairs, and offered me 10% off MSRP of the GM vehicle of my choice. I had never used 4X4 yet the front differential bearings failed, what a joke.

After blowing hundreds of thousands on American *rapmobiles, I final bought a Toyota. I am really upset with myself for not having made the switch 20 or 25 years ago.

Keep blowing your horn about American cars, and keep your checkbook handy for the next big *crew you from GM or Ford.

Last edited by a moderator:
Let me get this right, guy buys a 6 year old used truck, 6 years later he complains it needs a head. People here give him sound advice that it can be swapped out for less that $2k, he ignores that and sells it for scrap?
crazy2.gif

Let me get this right, guy buys a 6 year old used truck, 6 years later he complains it needs a head. People here give him sound advice that it can be swapped out for less that $2k, he ignores that and sells it for scrap?
crazy2.gif

If you want some good entertainment, go to any auto manufacturer's Facebook page and read the comments on any one of their posts. You'll usually find something like this:

"We spent x amount of dollars on a 2009 so and so. 150,000 miles later it needs repairs! x doesn't stand by their product, blahblahblahblah. Will go to (insert competitor here.)"

Originally Posted By: NYEngineer
He could have ended all of this with a 5.3.

If swapping a head is a deal breaker, no way is the OP going for a full engine swap...
crazy.gif

Originally Posted By: MarkM66

If swapping a head is a deal breaker, no way is the OP going for a full engine swap...
crazy.gif

Yeah. I get it. My reply was tongue in cheek. I'm always looking for a hot rod solution to any automotive problem.

Originally Posted By: MarkM66

crazy.gif

Yeah. I get it. My reply was tongue in cheek. I'm always looking for a hot rod solution to any automotive problem.

I know. I get it. Maybe the guy who bought it was thinking the same,
smile.gif

Who is piling on? Wow, what a snowflake.

Again, if you read the GM TSB referenced, there is no repairing the head. It must be replaced.

Sheesh, people can't read these days.

Is the TSB you copied & pasted even "Active"? A internal TSB telling dealer techs to replace a cylinder head doesn't mean the cylinder head cannot be repaired.

How was the Balance Shafts Chain condemned? Did you have Timing Chain noise &/or Camshaft Correlation DTC's to condemn the Timing Chain components?

What with the name calling....Are you 10 years old?

It is all moot now. I sold the truck with the POS Atlas engine and have moved on to a Non-GM vehicle.

If indeed sold for scrap at current scrap value, someone got a screaming deal.

It'll get repaired and back on the road.

Originally Posted By: dlundblad

Who is piling on? Wow, what a snowflake.

Again, if you read the GM TSB referenced, there is no repairing the head. It must be replaced.

Sheesh, people can't read these days.

Is the TSB you copied & pasted even "Active"? A internal TSB telling dealer techs to replace a cylinder head doesn't mean the cylinder head cannot be repaired.

How was the Balance Shafts Chain condemned? Did you have Timing Chain noise &/or Camshaft Correlation DTC's to condemn the Timing Chain components?

What with the name calling....Are you 10 years old?

It is all moot now. I sold the truck with the POS Atlas engine and have moved on to a Non-GM vehicle.

If indeed sold for scrap at current scrap value, someone got a screaming deal.

It'll get repaired and back on the road.

I believe the price was $1200. More than scrap but a lot more than a second opinion.
You have to stand by your van! or truck, in this situation.

Originally Posted By: CJWinWA
Originally Posted By: DevilsRule
Unfortunately, it is fatal if you just keep driving it, and they are 100% GM. That is probably the problem. If they were Nissan, they would last longer...LOL.

I'm tired of the ignorant comments. "If it was Nissan it would last longer". I'm never buying GM again" I knew what I was going to see when I opened this thread. You never disappoint. I'm going to give you some common sheep like advice. Go buy an Asian brand. They never have problems. The service departments at their dealers are going out of business because Asian vehicles are "BULLETPROOF" and they have no customers for repairs. It's like my Uncle. Tells me I'm lucky to have 160,000 Chevy. The next week, his brand new Nissan is leaving their driveway on a flatbed. I despise this bias toward American vehicles [censored]. Sick people, no pride.

I was as loyal to American made as it gets, having purchased 13 new American made vehicles in 30 years of driving. each vehicle ownership experience was worse than the one before. Each F150 I bought got worse mileage then the one before, and had more issues that Ford refused to acknowledge, until warranty was expired. My 2010 F150 had the blend air door actuator fail before the first set of brake pads wore out. I may be picky, but I believe my heating system should outlast the first set of brake pads. The original quote to fix the blend air door actuator was $1,200.00, I had to fight for a year (without heat or A.C.) to get any help from Ford, and still ended up paying several hundred dollars to replace a part that is a known failure fleet wide, from F150s to Lincolns.

There was my one experience with GM, a 1999 Silverado that was dead on the side of the road driving it home from the dealership the night I bought it. That was just the beginning of a 50,000 mile ordeal that involved three transmissions, a transfer case, and the rebuilding of both differentials. In the end, with the truck torn apart at the dealership, GM said they would pay for no more repairs, and offered me 10% off MSRP of the GM vehicle of my choice. I had never used 4X4 yet the front differential bearings failed, what a joke.

After blowing hundreds of thousands on American *rapmobiles, I final bought a Toyota. I am really upset with myself for not having made the switch 20 or 25 years ago.

Keep blowing your horn about American cars, and keep your checkbook handy for the next big *crew you from GM or Ford.

Exactly. This Colorado was bought by me in 3/12 with only 41k miles on it. I checked the VIN and it had no TSB's on it or recalls.

Then the CEL comes on for Fuel Vapor Evap Valve Solenoid 3X. Over $1400 total to get them fixed ...but no TSB's or recalls on this VIN #.

Then the wiper motor goes out. There is a recall, but my VIN is exempt - it was mfd AFTER the bad batch. RIGHT....$700 later...

Then the VVT solenoid quits.........$1100 later....

Then at 114k, the valve seats in the head fail, along with excessive timing chain wear, and the exhaust manifold with built in cat breaking....

Enough is enough. I sold it to my mechanic for $1250 out the door, as is. He doubts he will get his money back on it after he fixes it, but he plans on using it as a loaner/rental car for his shop.

I have moved on, and away from GM. Enough is enough.

But it looks like the shade tree know it alls would have thrown good money after bad. LOL

Last edited:
But it looks like the shade tree know it alls would have thrown good money after bad. LOL

Looks like your mechanic friend did just that, in addition to the pro mechanics who suggested the same on this thread.

Foolish "shade tree know it alls".

Originally Posted By: maxdustington

Looks like your mechanic friend did just that, in addition to the pro mechanics who suggested the same on this thread.

Foolish "shade tree know it alls".

Actually, I was very surprised he took the offer to buy it. But I was not about to turn it down...

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back