05 Toyota window switch: $295. How to diagnose & repair?

Owen Lucas

$100 Site Donor 2023
Driver side door window switch does not open passenger door window. Driver window works no problem and using the passenger side door switch the window works fine. These are the one touch auto switches. The up / down action feels fine mechanically. Initially I thought this had to do with the vehicle sitting with a dead battery so I completed the window reset procedure. All the switches reset except for the problematic one.

So it looks like half the switch has malfunctioned and at $295 a pop new, I'd rather attempt to take it apart, check out the contacts, and see what I can find.

Is there anything I might be overlooking before I take the door panel off? I don't know if it's practical or even possible to repair the switch but it's worth a shot I guess.

Worse case I get an eBay replacement.

This is for a 2005 Scion tC but it uses lot's of Camry parts.
ffc28d0698b583dc97564f0fa3448c38.jpg
50fad08a8801ae6d50be4eaa5a5b820a.jpg

If you’re looking for just the switch, what about a junkyard?

Also check eBay.
I just want to make sure I'm not missing some diagnostic step in case a get a replacement switch and have the same problem. Maybe there is an easy fix like an integrated fuse or some internal reset that I'm missing.

If it's like the switches I've taken apart prepare for lots of grease, dander (yuck!), and little springs and bb's.
Some of these switches can be like an inside of a clock! I look forward to the challenge, or at least taking it apart and saying, forget it! lol

If the passenger window switch DOES NOT work from the master controller(driver side) but DOES on the passenger side then it’s the master controller. And most likely you’ll have to replace the whole master controller including the door lock switch because you can’t buy THAT group of switches separately. OR, just leave it alone.

Last edited:
Does The car have central locking? Does it work on the passenger door? Do all the functions work other than the passenger window from the drivers side? You could have a network or wiring issue if you have any of the above

If the passenger window switch DOES NOT work from the master controller(driver side) but DOES on the passenger side then it’s the master controller. And most likely you’ll have to replace the whole master or just leave it alone.
That makes sense, I'm going to try to pinpoint the fault and if not, eBay time.

Do you have a junkyard that you can pull and return if it is not the problem? If so just keep swapping parts until you find what fixes the problem.

Back