GM SPS programming woes - 2018 Regal TourX

Bought a used car (2018 Buick Regal TourX), have a J2534 capable programmer that can update GM calibrations. Paid $45 for the SDS VIN subscription and looked for updates to the various modules on this car.

Most modules were already at newest calibration, but there were a few that had updated ones available. Adaptive safety blah blah had some "performance updates", these installed no problem. ECU had a couple updates pertaining to diagnostic codes, installed no problem. I went through 3 or 4 of these until I got to "front drivers memory seat module."

This module came up as "unrecognized calibration." That's odd, all the other modules would tell me what calibration they were at and I could view calibration history (and the text that tells you what changed) to decide whether I wanted to update it or not. I said what the hell, lets update it. It went through 3 retries, and gave me the error code I have pictured. I tried replace&reprogram, reprogram several times, this module just won't take it and gives the error code every time. After the programming attempt, now the driver's side seat and all side mirror controls no longer work. Good thing I had it in a comfortable driving position!

With all that said, I feel the memory seat has never worked properly to begin with. The options in the on-screen comfort & convenience menu pertaining to "easy exit seat", "auto down mirror" and others related to this module would always disappear and reappear in the menu at random intervals. And it would never get my stored seat / mirror positions right. I'm going to assume this is a bad module that needs replaced.

In an effort to troubleshoot this, I updated all other calibrations (some I was staying away from because they didn't mention performance improvements) thinking they all need to be at current version. Now I'm getting a U026A DTC that won't clear-- this is a "lost communication to frontview camera module" code, which has disabled my lane keeping assist. I'm a bit stumped on this. My scan tool pulls up the module and lets me do a calibration, which involves driving around in daylight conditions (haven't done this yet), but I'm not sure a calibration will solve a communication DTC. SPS reports the module just fine and that it is at the latest calibration.

Any thoughts other than "if it ain't broke don't fix it?" Learned my lesson, but now that it's broke I need to fix it, any help / info would be appreciated! Again, the photo is of the error I received when I attempt to program the drivers side memory seat module. (passenger side has no such module). FWIW I verified all RPO options on the door label, so I'm 100% certain I answered all the questions in SPS correctly.

Attachments

• SPS.jpg
    SPS.jpg
    58.5 KB · Views: 46
Update: I seem to have fixed the biggest issue that was bothering me, the U026A code which was disabling lane keep assist. I took the driver's memory seat module out (pretty confident this part is FUBAR), and left the battery disconnected overnight.

When I got in the car this morning, viola!-- Lane keep assist LED was on, just needed to clear the old DTCs and do a calibration on the front camera module. Calibration in this vehicle is dynamic, enable calibration through a scan tool and drive about 3 miles on a well marked road. LKA works fine now and I have zero DTCs, but in a system scan the drivers memory seat module now reports as "not equipped."

Think I'm just going to replace this part but I'm having trouble figuring out what to order. Part that came out of the car was "13509838" made by Denso, but all the online GM dealers are reporting 23338340 as the correct part. I can't find a new OEM "13509838" anywhere except used modules on Ebay, and I don't think you can program used modules on these newer GM platforms.

(https://www.wholesalegmpartsonline....on/Module-Control-Seat/12462465/23338340.html)

Anyone have any ideas which is the correct seat memory module?

First off let me say I enjoyed reading your post and my being fluent in SPS.... I understand the frustrations and what you were saying.

I agree the module is bad. Part numbers change thru time. When I was a module engineer we went thru atleast one part number change on every module on a truck. I am not sure off hand (will check my service info soon as I can) if that module is one of the few that can't be reflashed making a used one no option. I know side blind zone modules are now that way but I really think your memory seat module is flashable. Last one of these I did was an older Lacrosse.

Stable voltage while updating? All accessories off?

Unfortunately I have limited experience with flashing GM, this is a @Timmastertech question.

I'll say this is an example of why we should be hesitant to flash modules if there is not an actual issue or a serious known issue, especially for certain platforms. Vehicle module updates are not the same as phone updates, they can be a real can of worms.

Stable voltage while updating? All accessories off?

Unfortunately I have limited experience with flashing GM, this is a @Timmastertech question.

I'll say this is an example of why we should be hesitant to flash modules if there is not an actual issue or a serious known issue, especially for certain platforms. Vehicle module updates are not the same as phone updates, they can be a real can of worms.
Vehicle was in service mode, all accessories turned off that I was able to. I hooked up a fully charged battery in parallel with the vehicle battery. I discovered SPS won't even let you program if you have a battery charger / DC power supply connected. It won't proceed past the "tool-lock" step, I assume it kicks you out if it sees voltage > 13V or so.

I agree wholeheartedly; my intention was to update only modules with stated "performance / safety" updates. For $45 why not? I think the seat module was messed up to begin with (it always did weird things with the memory seats), the "unknown calibration" should have been a red flag to not proceed. But if one doesn't break things, how does one learn how to fix them? I'm half joking about that, but I learned a lot over the years having to fix something I broke.

At the end of the day, I updated all other modules attempting to fix the power seat issue and still have a non-working driver side seat. Pretty sure a power seat module is in order... will get around to ordering one. The advantage is the wife can't drive it for awhile, so I don't have to worry about curb rash, door dings, kids' baseball bats smacking it while putting their gear in the trunk, etc. She treats vehicles like an appliance, and has the minivan for that. Hopefully the "new car novelty" will wear off by the time I get the seat fixed.

I discovered SPS won't even let you program if you have a battery charger / DC power supply connected. It won't proceed past the "tool-lock" step, I assume it kicks you out if it sees voltage > 13V or so.
Not sure what you experienced, as everybody's individual experience can be different depending on varying circumstances, but our experience is quite the opposite; there is a voltage range that the software looks for, but I can't find it documented anywhere. That said, we have a power supply specific to programming that holds vehicle voltage at roughly 13.2-13.5 volts that we hook up to any vehicle we program, GM or otherwise, and have yet to have one error out on us.

Vehicle was in service mode, all accessories turned off that I was able to. I hooked up a fully charged battery in parallel with the vehicle battery. I discovered SPS won't even let you program if you have a battery charger / DC power supply connected. It won't proceed past the "tool-lock" step, I assume it kicks you out if it sees voltage > 13V or so.
Not uncommon - that’s why battery maintainers for flash reprogramming allow you to set a specific voltage, down to the tenth. It maintains that voltage during the entire programming session. Really important for any flash programming session.

My guess is that the lack of a stable power source was a contributing factor.

Not uncommon - that’s why battery maintainers for flash reprogramming allow you to set a specific voltage, down to the tenth. It maintains that voltage during the entire programming session. Really important for any flash programming session.

My guess is that the lack of a stable power source was a contributing factor.
That could well be, but I think unlikely. The AGM vehicle battery is brand new and fully charged, along with a fully charged group 31 (larger size) battery in parallel. The seat module was maybe 3rd on the list of what I'd intended to program, so I wasn't programming nearly long enough for those batteries to deplete appreciably. There's not much cleaner 12V DC sources out there than a battery, which by its very nature, outputs clean DC.

Bad seat module is what I narrowed it down to. Will report back once I replace & program the new one.

I agree wholeheartedly; my intention was to update only modules with stated "performance / safety" updates. For $45 why not? I think the seat module was messed up to begin with (it always did weird things with the memory seats), the "unknown calibration" should have been a red flag to not proceed. But if one doesn't break things, how does one learn how to fix them? I'm half joking about that, but I learned a lot over the years having to fix something I broke.

At the end of the day, I updated all other modules attempting to fix the power seat issue and still have a non-working driver side seat. Pretty sure a power seat module is in order... will get around to ordering one. The advantage is the wife can't drive it for awhile, so I don't have to worry about curb rash, door dings, kids' baseball bats smacking it while putting their gear in the trunk, etc. She treats vehicles like an appliance, and has the minivan for that. Hopefully the "new car novelty" will wear off by the time I get the seat fixed.
SPS procedure actually says to use a battery charger to keep battery voltage constant - I program with a charger 100% and hundreds of jobs I have never had SPS refuse to work. Even in GM plants batteries are hooked to a charger for all programming in the repair processes. Something else is going on.

That could well be, but I think unlikely. The AGM vehicle battery is brand new and fully charged, along with a fully charged group 31 (larger size) battery in parallel. The seat module was maybe 3rd on the list of what I'd intended to program, so I wasn't programming nearly long enough for those batteries to deplete appreciably. There's not much cleaner 12V DC sources out there than a battery, which by its very nature, outputs clean DC.
The problem is that you could hook 200 or 200,000 12 volt batteries in parallel, and you will still only have 12.6 volts, which is too low for what the software is looking for. You need a power supply for programming that supplies more voltage. Now whether or not this is what bricked the module is anybody's guess, but it's likely that it is, and you got lucky it was the only one that died.

Bad seat module is what I narrowed it down to. Will report back once I replace & program the new one.
Were you able to determine the actual battery voltage while the programming session was in progress? Without a battery maintainer that is regulating the voltage at a specific level, KOEO usually drops the battery voltage to 12.2v or less, which is well below what's needed.

The problem is that you could hook 200 or 200,000 12 volt batteries in parallel, and you will still only have 12.6 volts, which is too low for what the software is looking for. You need a power supply for programming that supplies more voltage. Now whether or not this is what bricked the module is anybody's guess, but it's likely that it is, and you got lucky it was the only one that died.
My limited experience programming with SPS suggests otherwise. A fully charged lead acid battery has always been fine for programming, and I hook a secondary battery in parallel for good measure. Can you provide docs from GM that suggests > 13V is necessary? Obviously they say to hook their fancy maintainer up (good idea when you're working on many different vehicles whose battery condition is unknown), but given the modules work fine in operation anywhere from 11-13+ volts, there is no real extra electrical demand during programming that would necessitate extra voltage. The module doesn't care as long as it is fed adequate power. I think some of you folks are making a mountain out of a molehill. I assure you voltage/power delivery is not what killed this module.

In fact I think the old module is just fine, but rather it's my MDI clone (VCX Nano) that is causing problems. I bought a new power seat module, attempted programming, same exact results. It comes up with unrecognized calibration and gives me the same error code after programming. It doesn't even start the programming sequence, simply times out. I learned this through some Google searching which lead me to a Corvette forum, where they were discussing the same issue. [https://www.corvetteforum.com/forum...4133014-programming-seat-memory-module-2.html]

The post that related to my situation is as quoted:

"Gotcha. Thanks for the reply. I just dropped off the car my to the dealer and I am sure I am in for a similar treat at $140 though for 1 hour
smile5.gif

*Update* So the dealer did as TorontoCTSV had done and they had no issues re-programming the power seat module. The technician came out and asked if I was using a VCX Nano, for which I said I was, and he said this isn't the first instance of seeing this happen. So in my mind, there is some minor limitation to these knock-off/clone devices. Anyways, issue resolved."

In fact I think the old module is just fine, but rather it's my MDI clone (VCX Nano) that is causing problems. I bought a new power seat module, attempted programming, same exact results. It comes up with unrecognized calibration and gives me the same error code after programming. It doesn't even start the programming sequence, simply times out.

Call the tech support number I put above. Seriously. They may be able to get it working. I had to call them about a 2008 Saturn VUE I couldn't program the TCM in. They gave me some instructions (which I haven't had the chance to try) and told me that if I called them when I'm with the vehicle, they can remote into the laptop (probably using Teamviewer or something similar) and do more diagnostics to see what the problem is, if I still can't get it working.

Can you provide docs from GM that suggests > 13V is necessary?
Frankly no, but I did find their official instructions; here's GM's generic programming spiel, taken from the service manual for a 2010 Silverado, only because it's the first vehicle I could think of. That being said, hooking up a jumper battery should have kept it in range anyway, so I agree that if you have a questionable adapter that that was the more likely cause. The only J-boxes I have any experience with besides factory tools are a Cardaq 3 and an Autel VCMI, which to this point have both been bulletproof. Regardless, glad you got it fixed!

Attachments

• Screenshot 2023-04-18 212323.jpg
    Screenshot 2023-04-18 212323.jpg
    198.5 KB · Views: 14
My limited experience programming with SPS suggests otherwise. A fully charged lead acid battery has always been fine for programming, and I hook a secondary battery in parallel for good measure. Can you provide docs from GM that suggests > 13V is necessary? Obviously they say to hook their fancy maintainer up (good idea when you're working on many different vehicles whose battery condition is unknown), but given the modules work fine in operation anywhere from 11-13+ volts, there is no real extra electrical demand during programming that would necessitate extra voltage. The module doesn't care as long as it is fed adequate power. I think some of you folks are making a mountain out of a molehill. I assure you voltage/power delivery is not what killed this module.
May have to agree to disagree - the software can sometimes abort if the voltage fluctuates during the process. I usually set my maintainer at 13.4V and makes sure that it stays solid at that exact voltage during the entire programming session.

Just some commentary to ponder about:

Back