05 Porsche Boxster 2.7 - first UOA, M1 0W-40, 5,000 miles / 11 months

Hey I just got my first analysis and have the same high Magnesium number. I inquired and they responded that it’s just part of the additive “package” and that it’s completely normal.

View attachment 223279
That viscosity is really low for M1 0W-40, although we don't have that many SP formula UOAs yet. You may want to check the Porsche forums to find any UOA to compare and see if you have any symptoms of bad injectors. I think injector issues leading to fuel dilution and bore scoring are common on these engines. Blackstone didn't flag fuel but I can't recall seeing any other M1 0W-40 UOA under 10 cSt before this post.

That viscosity is really low for M1 0W-40, although we don't have that many SP formula UOAs yet. You may want to check the Porsche forums to find any UOA to compare and see if you have any symptoms of bad injectors. I think injector issues leading to fuel dilution and bore scoring are common on these engines. Blackstone didn't flag fuel but I can't recall seeing any other M1 0W-40 UOA under 10 cSt before this post.
It was my first oil change since purchase. I asked the techs to pull plugs to scope and check for scoring as I have another 12 months on the CPO warranty. Unfortunately they blew that off so I will have to see if I can find someone willing to do that work. On the plus side I don’t see any signs of scoring. No smoke, soot, or consumption. My plan is to run a container of Techron through the next tank to optimize the injectors. Using Mobil 91 octane ethanol free fuel as well.. Also plan to do another change prior to winter storage instead of after like this one was. Car spent its life in FL so that is also a plus IMO.. to be honest, I can’t be 100% sure that the oil sampled was M1 0w-40, but it was changed at the Porsche dealer who sold me the car. The Indie that did this change uses Fuchs oil.

Last edited:
Hi, nice car. Porsche pic please.

Have you considered an Xw-50 weight? Porsche Classic oils for the 996/986 are 5w-50 and although you are a 987, the engines are not that different. I like Mobil 1 0w-40, but always thought it was on the thin side for our cars.

After way too much research, I decided to use Redline 10w-50 in our 996 and 986 mostly because of the additive package, including Mo, as well as track rat friends' experience.

Oh, and to completely look for scoring, you should also drop the sump and look from the inner ends of the cyls.

Enjoy the car, our S is our favorite.

Hi, nice car. Porsche pic please.

Have you considered an Xw-50 weight? Porsche Classic oils for the 996/986 are 5w-50 and although you are a 987, the engines are not that different. I like Mobil 1 0w-40, but always thought it was on the thin side for our cars.

After way too much research, I decided to use Redline 10w-50 in our 996 and 986 mostly because of the additive package, including Mo, as well as track rat friends' experience.

Oh, and to completely look for scoring, you should also drop the sump and look from the inner ends of the cyls.

Enjoy the car, our S is our favorite.
I want your 993 but can't afford it :) If my son decides not to attend a college (actually in your neck of the woods), I may have a chance.

For now, I don't plan to track - if I do, may be go up to 50 (or if oil burning - no oil burning whatsoever so far, knock, knock) - the latest is Castrol 5W 40 (I just buy whatever is on sale)

As for the engine, yes, the same M96 engine with a larger IMSB. I was mainly looking for a base model (which I got) because of the bore scoring issue (mostly in the S model engines) - so far so good at least from this oil analysis and no apparent metal shavings / flakes wheneven I cut open the filter. Drove my friend's 987 S but no significant difference other than a bit more torque below 4K RPM.

I am Hoster987 on planet 9, by the way ;-)

My 987.jpg

Awesome Pcar, Hoster!

FYI IMS wear in an M96 or M97 won't directly show up in oil analysis because it's a sealed bearing that's not in the oiling circuit, hence the failures.

5W40 and 5W50 oils both work well in these engines. It just depends on your climate and use case. If you're not in a hot climate and don't track the car, I see no added benefit in the x50 oils unless your engine has higher mileage.

Back