'04 Fiesta MTF Viscosity Choice

Status
Not open for further replies.
So it's time for the MTF change on my g/f's '04 Ford Fiesta with the IB5 gearbox.

The Aus service booklet recommends a 70w 85, the Ford Motorcraft fluid (XT-M5-QS) is a 75w 90 but hard to find

and I currently have Castrol Syntrans 75w 85 in it.

I would say that the car shifts 'adequately' with syntrans during cool morning starts and general around town driving (not bad but not great), but after a good

long highway run, it really free's up and shifts very nicely.

I would like to try a Redline MTF product, but just after some guidance on which one? (MTL, MT85 or MT90)

My gut feel is that the low performance output of the car (96Kw) plus the short tripping usage makes it harder for the fluid to fully come up operating temp, which is affecting its shifting performance?

Mind you summer is just around the corner also, so I don't want to go too thin for when we do those longer hwy Km's!

Ford does not recommend an oil change for the manual transmission.
However,I have changed mine once because of a leaky seal replacement at 90.000km using the factory motorcraft one,75w90.I have recently purchased 3 liters of motul gear 300 and I will try (there is no drain bolt) to use it after 170000kms on the odometer, and I will post how it feels... Not that I have something to bother me currently...

Looks like Redline MT-85 would be the appropriate product for your application. If in doubt, use the "contact us" link on the Redline web page. They are usually very responsive. I've used Red Line gear oil in a few of my cars and have been very happy with the performance.

I believe that the earliest Red Line recommendation for the Fiesta is the 2011 MY when it was introduced in the U.S. I would assume that it's either MTL or possibly MT-85 for that older Zetec engine. MT-85 tends to be more for Korean and some Japanese makes, so I'd guess it to more likely be MTL.

Redline spec's the current Fiesta for MTL (75W80) but I would be hesitant to go with that without input from Red Line or someone who's used it in this engine/transmission ( which I don't believe was imported into the U.S. in either Ford or Mazda vehicles...but I may be wrong ).

Originally Posted By: Kung_Faux
The Aus service booklet recommends a 70w 85, ......
Mind you summer is just around the corner also, so I don't want to go too thin for when we do those longer hwy Km's!

... then the bold's operating viscosity forms the basis of oil selection,and I wouldn't be sure if a 70W85 works well in sustained hiway use.

After 6 months and 10.000km later , I can report smooth operation with the Motul Gear 300.Not better than Fords own oil choice not worse.I was able to drain 2 liters exactly from the gearbox (lifting the cars rear section by the suspension axle so I manage to obtain a 5-10 degrees frontal tilt).Motul says the total capacity is 2,3 or 2,4 liters (can't remember exactly) so there is some residue from Ford's recipe.

Originally Posted by Vuflanovsky
I believe that the earliest Red Line recommendation for the Fiesta is the 2011 MY when it was introduced in the U.S. I would assume that it's either MTL or possibly MT-85 for that older Zetec engine. MT-85 tends to be more for Korean and some Japanese makes, so I'd guess it to more likely be MTL.

Redline spec's the current Fiesta for MTL (75W80) but I would be hesitant to go with that without input from Red Line or someone who's used it in this engine/transmission ( which I don't believe was imported into the U.S. in either Ford or Mazda vehicles...but I may be wrong ).

Old thread I know, but the current (and now dead here) gen, Mk7, BASE Fiestas here with the manual gearbox ARE IB5s (my ST model is an IB6 gearbox).
wink.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back