03 Honda S2000 Amsoil 0W-30 35,096 mi OCI w/bypass

Status
Not open for further replies.
I pushed it a little further this time. Here's my UOA for a 12 month, 35,096 mile OCI with my 2003 Honda S2000. I went the entire time with one Amsoil EaO-15 full flow filter and a EaBP-90 bypass filter on an Amsoil BMK-15 bypass filter setup. I also have an electric prelube pump hooked up to pre-pressurize my oil at startups. My setup is working without any problems.

I drive mostly highway miles. I added 4.5 quarts of makeup oil.
6-10UOA.jpg

Originally Posted By: slalom44
I pushed it a little further this time. Here's my UOA for a 12 month, 35,096 mile OCI with my 2003 Honda S2000. I went the entire time with one Amsoil EaO-15 full flow filter and a EaBP-90 bypass filter on an Amsoil BMK-15 bypass filter setup. I also have an electric prelube pump hooked up to pre-pressurize my oil at startups. My setup is working without any problems.

I drive mostly highway miles. I added 4.5 quarts of makeup oil.
6-10UOA.jpg

I am interested in the electric prelube pump. Was this a kit you purchased or something you put together?

WOW! Just wow....lol, that is wild. In your linked post you mention that your setup is overkill but it obviously works!

So what is the popular opinion on this set up? Is it the bypass filter or the prelube that is responsible for this? Or just the combination? Would you be able to expect similar results with simply a bypass filter?

Wow, that setup and that UOA are friggin' impressive. Props to you for a completely nuts setup.

And holy [censored] look at all the Ca in that oil!

Originally Posted By: hate2work

I hate it when a perfectly good UOA is ruined with the use of lots of make up oil.

+1!

I hate it when a perfectly good UOA is ruined with the use of lots of make up oil.

Basically a qt every 8500 miles about. Seems fine to me? He went 35000 miles. Pretty good.

Nice setup and nice result. Does the car get emissions tested? You essentially did a full changeout of oil due to the 4.5 qts used. Was that due to interrim oil/bypass filter changes or usage?

Not sure what the results actually mean when you consider the amount of oil changed out/added (true total wear), but at the same time, you do know that very little wear metal is floating around in the oil.

If you supply the actual mileage points where you added the makeup oil, perhaps we can synthesize a model and use "area under the curve" to discern the true total wear.

Let's assume the entire sump volume was replaced over these 35K miles, so double the values. Still *excellent* for 35K miles.

Originally Posted By: BobFout

Let's assume the entire sump volume was replaced over these 35K miles, so double the values. Still *excellent* for 35K miles.

Too many variables involved when lots of oil is added to come to any kind of meaningful conclusion. No one ~ not me, not you, not Terry Dyson ~ could tell what the numbers would have been without extra oil added.

Who cares? The consumption is minimal at worst. The result is that this oil is still suitable for continued use.

Now what might give a little more insight is if we learn if the consumption was pretty flat or if it was progressive. Either way, the end result is a healthy sump at 35k+.

But if you want to cipher, cut the mileage to 1/3 and triple the numbers and as long as you leave the health of the oil alone, criticize it all you want. It would still not be excessive.

I'm pretty happy with these results. The amount of makeup oil isn't that great considering that this is a Honda S2000 with an F20C engine. They are known to burn some oil and my oil consumption is actually better than most. Consumption has stayed about the same, and has not gotten worse.

IMO, it's the bypass filter that is giving me most of the impressive results. I use a prelube pump because I was nervous about excessive dry starts - the BMK-13 has a biasing valve that restricts flow to the full-flow filter to increase flow to the bypass filter. With the prelube pump, I don't have to worry about it.

The prelube pump is just a Shur-Flo agricultural pump I bought that met the specs I was looking for. I discuss it in my setup. It's been working well for about 145,000 miles now so it's proven itself to be reliable.

I realize the makeup oil taints the results, but like Gary Allan implied, that's not important. My goal was to minimize wear with the lowest cost and least maintenance. This setup does it.

Thanks for posting slalom44. Great stuff as usual. You certainly do have less consumption than most other F20C owners too. You're lucky!

I don't quite understand the complaints about the make-up oil amount for this OCI though. As long as it remains consistent, then why worry? Your trending is still available regardless. My only concern about using a filter system as efficient and effective as this is how do you know if it isn't hiding something that the UOA can't see? Have you considered doing filter analysis as a back-up on occasion?

Also, the Manganese showing up now is unusual. Blackstone didn't comment on it, but did you change fuel brands or additives?

Originally Posted By: INDYMAC
...Also, the Manganese showing up now is unusual. Blackstone didn't comment on it, but did you change fuel brands or additives?

I noticed the Manganese increase, but I'm not sure what caused it. I did not use any additives and I fuel up mostly at truck stops like usual. I also noticed a spike in Sodium, which I can't explain. The car runs great. I'm hoping someone might be able to offer suggestions.

I plan on dissecting the filters some day when I have more time just to see if there is anything in there. But since there are plenty of Honda S2000's out there with high mileage, I doubt that I will find anything.

My thoughts on the Mn is that it came from fuel - and I am wondering about the sodium. We have seen some SSO's UOA's in the low teens. I dunno, your Si just tracked miles - both (or all three Mn, Si, Na) could be from what is scientifically called dirt and Si/Na are tracking miles for the most part. Remember - even the finest bypass will not filter elements in solution. And that really is what a UOA picks up - be it air filter intrusion or a part failing.

Some pure commentary from the peanut gallery:

1) Gotta love that Moly load. We all know, short and long runs must have moly for wear protection!

2) Wear metals are exceptional. Honda shows little wear. Bypass provides all the protection. Oil? No credit.

3) Make up oil. It somehow ruined this UOA. Yet, recently posted UOA's show more oil usage in much shorter runs and not one comment, or maybe mentioned in passing. I just read a UOA, guy used 1.5 qts in 8K. Do the math for 35K miles. I think people are either math challenged or biased against extended drains with certain oils. I'm just saying.

Anyway, this is good stuff. You are the rare man who posts such information. I have a couple customers doing similar stuff (none with a Honda), but they aren't web types and even when I ask them if I can post for them, they aren't so inclined.

Carry on!

Honestly, I'm just suprised you do THAT much driving in an S2000 - I didn't think they were really 'suited' to that.

This, folks, is the way Amsoil is SUPPOSED to be used!

Carry on!

Excellent report! I wonder if you could push it double the mileage, given that a new quart is added every 8500 or so miles, it would be a never ending OCI. Your setup must be quite effective to achieve good results like that. 1qt/8500 miles isn't a problem either!

Question....

How can this be about saving money on oil if you're using an expensive boutique oil, adding 4.5 quarts and paying for UOA? You could come out cheaper with a shelf brand synthetic and not doing the UOA. Amsoil math just doesn't add up for me when I can buy 5 quarts of M1 for $21 or less when its on sale, or Penzoil synthetic for even less using rebates. I simply don't see the need to feed extra cash to the Amsoil MLM upline.... and I'm running a supercharged vehicle.

The UOA is impressive for the miles but what's your total cost per 5000 miles if you factored in the cost of the by-pass setup, make-up oil, UOAs and Amsoil prices?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back