02 Focus no cold start

Status
Not open for further replies.
Have a 02 Focus SPI/auto with 90k. So far I've changed the fuel filter and plugs but haven't got around to replacing the EGR tube. The problem is once it sets for the night it doesn't want to start. Although yesterday I was at work 12 hours and it started fine. What it'll do typically is require 2 turnovers and then on the third it'll chug and sometimes die other times it'll just run rough for a few seconds and clear up. It runs good besides that and gets 32mpg average.

I don't have a fuel pressure tester but when it refuses to start there is a strong smell of gas. I've checked the coil and it is getting spark, although it could be weak. No codes present which is real stumper. Any ideas? This one is a bit more difficult to diagnose versus my Festiva/Aspires.

Air Idle control. I have had a couple of Fords with simular symptoms and either cleaning or replacing the AIC took care of the issue.

What's strange is there's a code for everything you guys mentioned but nothing's showing. I'll test the IAC and FPR.. not sure how to test the FPR no manuals talk about it! I don't know if OReillys can test the coil or not.

I cleaned the AIC valve on a 2000 Tuarus and the same issues you describe never happened again. On a 2005 Focus same issues but since it was my Daughter's car and going off to college I just replaced it. Easy to get to on both.

Actually I bet it is the IAC. Can't believe I didn't think of it. Had to clean the Escape's once and replace the Aspires. Probably try to clean it first.

Cleaned the IAC.. it was perhaps the cleanest I even seen. Almost looked new although I know it's the factory original. Of course it started right up after but that doesn't mean much. Still I doubt that's it as it wouldn't even start before with the pedal pushed a bit unlike the Escape when the IAC needed cleaning. I guess I'll found out eventually.

Poor cold starting is usually lack of fuel.
But you smell excess fuel!
Try a good shot of starting fluid in the intake at your next cold start. This is a quick way to detect a lack of fuel being the problem.

I've got the same problem with my truck. If it sits a day without being started...it's a pain to get it to run. My guess is a weak fuel pump.

The cleaned IAC does seem to help some but not completely. I'm going to replace it and see what it does. Sure wish their was a code!

Just a FYI think I've got this fixed. The ignition coil had a good size crack on the bottom side. Replaced it with a new one and started right up even though it was cold and wet which usually it doesn't.

Originally Posted By: Eric Smith
Just a FYI think I've got this fixed. The ignition coil had a good size crack on the bottom side. Replaced it with a new one and started right up even though it was cold and wet which usually it doesn't.

We had a similar problem with ours. It would randomly misfire like crazy. Same issue, big crack in the coil.

Cracked coils are common. Misfire monitor will not start until approx. 240 seconds after ckp provides a stable reading to PCM. This is why no codes were set. BTW if it starts to miss on a decel. warm it is likely the valve guides loosening in the head and keeping the valves open when they should be closed. Be cautious.

I'm aware of the SPI issues.. the engine is smooth as silk. As usual I spoke to soon. She fired right up this morning but this evening she fired but didn't stay running. The big difference I could hold the pedal and she'd run. Now it's time to look at the IAC. To bad it isn't as easy as the Escapes to get to. Dang Ford's IAC's.. the Achilles heel. Strange is the old coil really didn't exhibit any misfires.. sometimes at a light but not really enough to throw a red flag.

Likely not the IAC. Check for a vacuum leak at a small PCV hose on the backside of the engine. Unmetered air. I am a Ford tech and we don't change IAC's any longer. Fuel press. should be checked as well. The pump might not be able to hold press. in the rail and still provide normal running press.

I'll check that line probably hit it a few times. I know the the one from the passenger side that curves around and goes to the air filter needs replaced. Sure hate to buy a fuel pressure gauge as I'd probably never use it again. You can hear the fuel pump kick on .. which in itself worries me since on my other cars I can't. This car set for long periods of time could be junk in the tank. I forgot to mention after I hold the pedal a bit the fast idle kicks in and then I could let off without stalling.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back