02 Focus no cold start

Status
Not open for further replies.
Left it at our mechanic for a week and they could get it started every time without incident. May try it again with the cold and wet weather. She wouldn't start at all this morning... so much for the coil being the culprit.

if you smell raw fuel under the hood, it would line of perfectly with a fuel system pinhole leak. it's usually an o-ring or injector or other fitting. if it has a regulator under the hood, these go as well. some FI cars use a "fuel damper" (mazda, toyota, others?) that is a stubby rubber bulb on the end of the fuel rail. these begin to weap fuel with age as well and can cause these symptoms. Any tiny leak will let the pressure drop overnight, resulting in a few extra seconds of cranking to build pressure in the morning.

I combed over the engine tonight for various things and I think I seen what you're talking about. Not sure how I'd test fuel pressure on this creature didn't see a schrader valve, Chris? Started right up when I got home tonight. I did find one loose vacuum hose but need to take some cleaner and spray on the others.. worried about doing that since most are plastic. If I pump the brake when it's idling it doesn't stall but doesn't idle up either. Thinking about the temp sensor also. Man I hate this... good car and love driving it if it'll only run!

Originally Posted By: Eric Smith
I combed over the engine tonight for various things and I think I seen what you're talking about. Not sure how I'd test fuel pressure on this creature didn't see a schrader valve, Chris? Started right up when I got home tonight. I did find one loose vacuum hose but need to take some cleaner and spray on the others.. worried about doing that since most are plastic. If I pump the brake when it's idling it doesn't stall but doesn't idle up either. Thinking about the temp sensor also. Man I hate this... good car and love driving it if it'll only run!

The brakes are run off the power steering, so that won't do anything.

If there's no schrader valve, you'll have to cut the fuel supply line, and "T" into it with your gauge.

Originally Posted By: OVERK1LL

Say whaaat? That's different have to look at it closer.

Originally Posted By: MarkM66

If there's no schrader valve, you'll have to cut the fuel supply line, and "T" into it with your gauge.

Ah wonderful that's what I was afraid of.. that or a special fitting that no one has.

See my post on the 06 Mazda 2.0 that has the same problem. In short, clean your throttle plate.

Originally Posted By: OVERK1LL

Say whaaat? That's different have to look at it closer.

hydra-boost setup. The power steering pump runs both the power steering and the brake assist
grin.gif

Originally Posted By: chris67
Car is not equipped with hydro-boost. Car has conventional vacuum booster.

Are you sure? Our Focus had hydro-boost. It was an '01.

There is a new design pump and filter for 2000 to 2002 focus built before 12/31/2001 available. The original tabs on the bottom of the fuel tank that held the original pump have to be cut out with a special tool only at a ford dlr. for the new pump to be used. This needs to be properly diagnosed first and probably with a fuel press. gauge. The 2001 focus also had a vacuum booster as do they all.

Yes I am sure.

Well, then I may have been mistaken. And if that is the case, then I apologize for misleading the OP.

There is a new design pump and filter for 2000 to 2002 focus built before 12/31/2001 available. The original tabs on the bottom of the fuel tank that held the original pump have to be cut out with a special tool only at a ford dlr. for the new pump to be used. This needs to be properly diagnosed first and probably with a fuel press. gauge. The 2001 focus also had a vacuum booster as do they all.

Then I stand corrected. Not sure why I thought it had it...... The Mustang did, and for some strange reason I was sure the Focus did.

I'll check but I think it has a build date of Feb/Mar 02. It seems with the fuel pump I'd have a problem all the time. Not ruling out fuel related just under the hood as the engine bay warms up she'll start up with a issue. It has to be above 60 and in the direct sun though. I unpluged the MAF this morning and of course it didn't start but fired. Plugged it back and I was able to get it running by holding the pedal. I'd love to take it to a mechanic but if the problem doesn't show not much use.

Fuel pump can cause starting issues only with no running problem. Fords can have lower than normal press. and seem o.k. GM's however seem to have all sorts of problems with even a couple of pounds of pressure loss. Don't forget that we are now using seasonally adjusted fuels with slightly higher volatility. Does your car have a summer type blend in it still.

It's had the problem since March so a variety of blends since then. Chris where's the test port on the fuel rail? I'll go to HF next week and get a cheap tester... half the price of the Actron not as good but only need it once. It still has the strong smell of fuel if you try to start it too long.. probably doesn't mean much though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back