'02 Accord V6 RLI 5W20 8907 OCI 112518 Total

Status
Not open for further replies.
I understand that Powerfoam is heck on bearings, but 186 is not a minor 'blip' or 'spike', it is serious wear that will shorten the life of the engine considerably. Most oil analysis 'guides' have a lead count above 25 as a high level. This is waaayyy above that.

I did constant 'starting attempts' on a dead engine in winter, with 5W-30 dino w/9k miles on it, and I only got a lead count of 74.

If this rate continues, you won't get 200k out of the engine.

Originally Posted By: benjamming
Lead number was rechecked & is correct. Lead is not from the add pack.
No fuel additives whatsoever during this interval.
PowerFoam is heck on bearings.
Remember, as others have said elsewhere, not all numbers are necessarily wear numbers in the traditional sense. Not that I like to see 186 out beside lead, just saying.
Much more to it than TBN/TAN as everyone should know. With that said, TBN was 60% depleted in almost 9k miles, & TAN rose less than 1 point.

Oil & filter were changed at time of sample. Replaced with RLI 0W20 & AMSOIL EaO20 filter. My initial plan was to go 7500 miles next OCI.

saaber1,
This formulation doesn't use copper in the add pack. That was/is? the HD version.

RI_RS4,
I have no idea on the sodium, yet.

Any idea why Power Foam is hard on bearings? I have some and planned on giving it a try.

AD

It's just an abberation caused by the engine work/treatments. Metals can't be used for comparasion purposes on this uoa.

Originally Posted By: RI_RS4
Originally Posted By: JoeFromPA
Originally Posted By: demarpaint
Yes but for the price RL and Amsoil are the better deal for that application.

That's what I've been saying, but pointing out that it didn't do badly. It held it's own. Just not quite as good.

P.s. AMSOIL had the best TBN/TAN

Correction, RLI had the best (lowest) TAN

Sorry, you misunderstood me. I was trying to show ratio. AMSOIL had the best TBN to TAN ratio. RLI had the lowest TAN, but a 1:1 ratio between TBN and TAN.

I thought that ratio was as important as the raw TBN or TAN numbers.

Again, what's up with the powerfoam statements. We've powerfoamed a LOT of vehicles and UOA'd I've seen zero data that it does anything to bearings or to the UOA markers for that matter. I could understand if you were talking about a thinning engine flush that dislodges components, but powerfoam is a top end cleaner and filled with highly volatile components and butyl cellosolve...it's not tetra ethyl lead or anything. Having said that I wouldn't use it to foam up a latte!

I'm a little puzzled about the PF comments myself, especially that I have some waiting to be used. I guess I will use it just before I change my oil, but I have my doubts lead spiked like that because of PF, but who knows?
21.gif

The only think that I can think of that they are referring to is if you use it wrong and hydrolock your engine....that could cause an extreme boundary lubrication need! Other than that the chemicals themselves shouldn't do squat.

Guys, a lower TAN indicates that that acid buildup in the oil is lower. The larger the TAN, the more acidic the oil.

"The Total Acid Number (TAN) is the amount of potassium hydroxide in milligrams that is needed to neutralize the acids in one gram of oil."

Acidic oil be bad.

You also cannot look at TBN as an absolute number. It's much better to look at it relative to the starting TBN, to get a feel for the % depletion.

No matter what, this particular UOA has a sodium problem. Until that is fixed, you can't compare UOAs at all.

RI_RS4,

90,122 ARX bottle added to fresh Honda 5W20 oil & filter
92,737 Oil changed with Honda 5W20 oil & filter
96,254 Oil changed with RLI 5W20 & EaO

Fixing the EGR is at the top of my list.

32.gif

What is the concentration of KOH that is used for TAN testing?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back