'01 Mustang Gt - New ticking noise after last OCI

Status
Not open for further replies.
previous experience with 4.6 modular motors 01,02 , and 03 had issues with the tensioners , they sound like a sewing machine . best bet is to pull the front covers off of the motor to inspect , more then likely you will find them worn through and if you do a lab on your oil you will find metal and plastic in your oil if the tensioners are worn

we had this issues in a lot of squad cars from that era in our villages fleet .

Originally Posted By: Twisted1
I have COP and I didn't feel any vibration or spark feedback. I think the plug blowouts were also the Windsor blocks (99 to early 01) because owners weren't torquing them down correctly to the factory specified 11ft lbs. I am one of those owners that buys a Chilton Manual the same day I purchase a used vehicle. I love to keep the car to factory specifications less aftermarket parts call for different instances.

The plug blow outs were due to them having three threads in the heads, and had nothing to do with whether you had a Windsor or a Romeo.

Originally Posted By: OVERKILL
Why are you putting MMO in with a quality, properly formulated synthetic oil?

Exactly!

Originally Posted By: OVERKILL
Why are you putting MMO in with a quality, properly formulated synthetic oil?

HA HA! That reminds me of the manager at Save Mart when I complained about the steak being full of fat. He says, "That's impossible, all our meat is prepared to exacting standards."

I call him 'Mr. Exacting Standards' from now on.
grin2.gif

A lot of useful info in here and I am happy that I joined this site.

Update - Bought 6 qts Motorcraft Full Syn 5w-20 and have a Motorcraft Oil Filter as well.

Will change the oil soon and hope that it works!!

A lot of useful info in here and I am happy that I joined this site.

Update - Bought 6 qts Motorcraft Full Syn 5w-20 and have a Motorcraft Oil Filter as well.

Will change the oil soon and hope that it works!!

I would exchange it for 10W30. Your car specs 5W30,but I'd go with a change of robust 10W to wash the mmo out.

WELCOME!

Respectfully, You've come for advice but aren't taking it. Many minds with good knowledge have spoken and I agree. personally, I'd be running that engine on a 10W30.

....but, it's your car
smile.gif
let us know what happens, im interested to know.

Originally Posted By: stro_cruiser
WELCOME!

Respectfully, You've come for advice but aren't taking it. Many minds with good knowledge have spoken and I agree. personally, I'd be running that engine on a 10W30.

....but, it's your car
smile.gif

I'm confused? What makes you think I'm not taking the advice all of the wonderful gentlemen have assisted me with? Well anyhow, I just removed the MMO mix and refilled with Motorcraft 5W-20 Full syn and a Motorcraft oil filter (as mentioned above in my earlier post). I'm going to drive it around and wait a few hundred miles to make a judgement because right now it made a slight difference in sound. The MMO mix was watery!

WELCOME!

....but, it's your car
smile.gif

I'm confused? What makes you think I'm not taking the advice all of the wonderful gentlemen have assisted me with? Well anyhow, I just removed the MMO mix and refilled with Motorcraft 5W-20 Full syn and a Motorcraft oil filter (as mentioned above in my earlier post). I'm going to drive it around and wait a few hundred miles to make a judgement because right now it made a slight difference in sound. The MMO mix was watery!

You were recommended a 30 weight oil, not a 20 weight. Like I said, its your car
smile.gif

Gonna piggy back others here and recommend either a 5w-30, or 10w-30. I would even probably go for a high mileage variant, as that motor would certainly qualify for it.

Seeing that mileage on a 4.6 gives me hope for my 4.6 3v. The 5.0s may make the power, but the 4.6s have the sound.

Originally Posted By: HemiHawk
Gonna piggy back others here and recommend either a 5w-30, or 10w-30. I would even probably go for a high mileage variant, as that motor would certainly qualify for it.

Seeing that mileage on a 4.6 gives me hope for my 4.6 3v. The 5.0s may make the power, but the 4.6s have the sound.

I personally think that the 4.6 2V, 3V, and 4v's sound the best until this day!

Ok so I just drove about 40 miles on the new oil but I still hear a little of the ticking. Do you all think I should just give it some time and judge from there?

Again - Motorcraft 5W-20 Full Syn w/Motorcraft Oil Filter

Last edited:
My Escalade is kind of ticky right after a fresh Mobil 1 oil change. Once the oil gets used for a while it quiets down why I don't know. I've also noticed this changing brands. Takes a little while for them to quiet down. Maybe they need a new glaze.

Originally Posted By: LeakySeals
My Escalade is kind of ticky right after a fresh Mobil 1 oil change. Once the oil gets used for a while it quiets down why I don't know. I've also noticed this changing brands. Takes a little while for them to quiet down. Maybe they need a new glaze.

When I had a 2003 BMW 330Ci and used Mobil 1, my valve train became pretty noisy. I had immediately dumped that oil and replaced it with BMW engine oil and all was well again.

Originally Posted By: LeakySeals

When I had a 2003 BMW 330Ci and used Mobil 1, my valve train became pretty noisy. I had immediately dumped that oil and replaced it with BMW engine oil and all was well again.

Probably would have been fine if you just waited a little bit

WELCOME!

....but, it's your car
smile.gif

You were recommended a 30 weight oil, not a 20 weight. Like I said, its your car
smile.gif

Would it make that big of a difference

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back