Focus new clutch, and updated software

Status
Not open for further replies.
Related to this thread, but significant enough for me to start a new thread about it.
http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubb...eak#Post3424957

So as I mentioned and showed in that thread, I had a leak from the transmission/engine area. I took it in to the dealership on Monday, for the leak. This morning I got the call that it was repaired, and I could pick it up.

According to the invoice they gave me, they replaced the clutch and seals in accordance with this TSB, TSB 14-0047. (For reference, my build date is 12/20/12)
https://www.dropbox.com/s/tuuwfiz4hurynqe/tsb14-0047.pdf

This involved pulling the engine and transmission, replacing the input shaft seal. I told them I wanted a new clutch assembly, not a cleaned one. They seem to have taken that to heart, as they did replace the clutch assembly with a brand new one. This means I got new transmission/gear fluid as well, which saves me some work and cost later. In addition, they flashed the TCM and PCM with the latest software available.

They apparently had the parts on hand, as it only took several days to repair it, I would imagine if they had to order parts it would have taken another few days at least.

The difference is like night and day. Whether due to the new software, or having a non oil contaminated clutch, or both, the transmission behavior is completely different. I never really had an issue with how it worked before, but holy cow. It's so much smoother now. Full clutch engagement from a stop is much, much faster than it was before. All upshifts are lightning quick, before at lower throttle they were a bit more relaxed. Pretty much all upshifts are completely seamless and unnoticeable unless you are watching the tach during typical acceleration. It's so much smoother at low speeds, when letting off the gas, it feels a lot more like the behavior and feel you'd expect from a torque converter auto. It's a HUGE improvement, again, night and day compared to how it was before. Downshifts are also much faster and smoother than they were before, particularly same-shaft downshifts (ie 5-3, 4-2 etc)

In addition to this, the throttle response seems faster and more immediate than it was before- and again, that was never anything I had a complaint about. Previously when say, on the highway and you'd push the throttle to downshift and accelerate, there was a little delay before it downshifted. Noticeable. That is pretty much completely gone, and the downshift is completed much faster and more smoothly than before. The A/C also seems to perform better, I'd imagine that and the throttle response stem from the updated PCM software, rather than the TCM.

The invoice cost was $1280 or so with parts and labor ($688 labor,and $592 in parts), all covered under warranty of course.

Long story short, I could not be happier with the way Ford and the dealer treated me, and I could not be more pleased with the repair itself, I got a new clutch, they fixed the leak, and the updated software is simply phenomenal.

BIOS firmware updates... smartphone firmware updates... now car firmware updates.
02.gif

I'm glad your happy

Its nice to hear someone having a good experience with Ford for once

This also gives light at the end of the tunnel for Fiesta/Focus owners with uncooperative dealers. These transmissions can be fixed properly

If they can't clean the clutch they have to replace it. Glad you didn't have to go down that road with them. Nice to read a story that ends this way.

+1 on What Nick1994 said ^^. Keep an eye on it to be certain it doesn't leak any more.

Good to hear, Nick.

I don't say this to be negative, but I do say it out of experience. Don't be surprised if some of the "notchiness" returns to the shifting. With a fresh software flash, the transmission is operating without any learned data yet. As you drive it for another few hundred or thousand miles, it'll likely go back, at least to some degree, to how it "wants to shift".

This was a constant frustration with my 2011 Camry. They'd reflash the computer to fix wonky shifting, and it'd be fine for 100-200 miles. Then it'd go back to how it operated before. This is also an observation on our Hondas when I change the fluid. Shifts are super buttery smooth for 50-100 miles, due to fresh fluid with a fresh batch of friction modifiers, but the computer constantly monitors shift quality/speed/etc and adjusts all the time. While super smooth initially, some shift firmness returns after a short while.

Your transmission will "find its own level" after a few hundred miles. I hope it stays as smooth as it is now. I wouldn't be surprised if they firmed up a little, though.

I changed the FF ATF (a D&R which only replaces about half the fluid) in my 2011 Cruze at 25K using Castrol Dex VI and approx. 14 ounces of LG red. I now have 32K and she never shifted better.
I don't know if it's the LG but it's much smoother and far less notchy. I recommend LG highly.

Originally Posted By: Hokiefyd
Good to hear, Nick.

I don't say this to be negative, but I do say it out of experience. Don't be surprised if some of the "notchiness" returns to the shifting. With a fresh software flash, the transmission is operating without any learned data yet. As you drive it for another few hundred or thousand miles, it'll likely go back, at least to some degree, to how it "wants to shift".

This was a constant frustration with my 2011 Camry. They'd reflash the computer to fix wonky shifting, and it'd be fine for 100-200 miles. Then it'd go back to how it operated before. This is also an observation on our Hondas when I change the fluid. Shifts are super buttery smooth for 50-100 miles, due to fresh fluid with a fresh batch of friction modifiers, but the computer constantly monitors shift quality/speed/etc and adjusts all the time. While super smooth initially, some shift firmness returns after a short while.

Your transmission will "find its own level" after a few hundred miles. I hope it stays as smooth as it is now. I wouldn't be surprised if they firmed up a little, though.

I will second this as well, although not to be negative, just realistic. Our Fusion had the transmission rebuilt under warranty 2 years ago, which including replacing all forward clutches, the overdrive piston, valve body, and new fluid of course. Out of the box it shifted so well I couldn't believe it! Then it returned to its wonky shift programming, although the operation was still much better since the internals were now good. I wish there was some way to remove the adaptive learning curve on these transmissions because the 'default' setting is usually pretty good.

Originally Posted By: pbm
I changed the FF ATF (a D&R which only replaces about half the fluid) in my 2011 Cruze at 25K using Castrol Dex VI and approx. 14 ounces of LG red. I now have 32K and she never shifted better.
I don't know if it's the LG but it's much smoother and far less notchy. I recommend LG highly.

LG seems to be a good product, but it surely isn't for use in a dual clutch transmission like the OP's. DCTs use a fluid much more akin to those in a manual gearbox and each DCT manufacturer seems to have its own particular formula. Ford's factory fill has a change interval of 150,000 miles - I wouldn't use anything but the Motorcraft fluid.

I'm glad it worked out for you and that at this point, you are actually happy with Ford.
I don't think your attitude would be the same however if the warranty had expired.
I hope once that happens.....you suffer no such issues. Cross your fingers.

Great news for Focus owners.

And another illustration that many time the issues with an automobile are programming issues not hardware...

I have lost count of how many of those jobs we have done. There is a huge list of parts we have to bill out, seals, new hardware. Great on the parts end, but the tech gets hosed on labor time. If the clutch does not need to be replaced, we bill out 6 bottles of brake clean and the tech just goes to town on it.

I'm glad you got it taken care of. The engine and trans techs always get shafted with warranty work. Especially the local diesel ambulances.

I know it sounds ultra complex...."updated software"...for a clutch, but it is important in these computer driven engines...

The dealer had an entire new clutch installed before I got the Kitacamry...new physical components as well as master and slave cylinders and electronics...this replaced a 2nd clutch that failed after an indie shop install...

....after 22k miles it's as smooth as silk...

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: KitaCam
I know it sounds ultra complex...."updated software"...for a clutch, but it is important in these computer driven engines...

The dealer had an entire new clutch installed before I got the Kitacamry...new physical components as well as master and slave cylinders and electronics...this replaced a 2nd clutch that failed after an indie shop install...

....after 22k miles it's as smooth as silk...

Sure, but in my case, it's because I'm driving a DCT, or automated manual with two clutches, so it's all computer controlled.

Originally Posted By: Danh
Originally Posted By: pbm

LG seems to be a good product, but it surely isn't for use in a dual clutch transmission like the OP's. DCTs use a fluid much more akin to those in a manual gearbox and each DCT manufacturer seems to have its own particular formula. Ford's factory fill has a change interval of 150,000 miles - I wouldn't use anything but the Motorcraft fluid.

Yeah. I'm just happy the factory fluid got taken out and replaced, which is mainly my concern. I probably won't get it changed again, until if I have it all the way to 150k miles.

Here is a good video of the procedure. This guy has some great Ford videos.

Hold on.. tech issues
need to figure out how to post link

Last edited:
I suppose it's good that Ford honors the warranty. That being said, I'd be rather unhappy with an 18 month old vehicle that needed repairs that were that extensive. That's quality I would have expected in the 1970's, not in the 2010's.

Originally Posted By: Pop_Rivit
I suppose it's good that Ford honors the warranty. That being said, I'd be rather unhappy with an 18 month old vehicle that needed repairs that were that extensive. That's quality I would have expected in the 1970's, not in the 2010's.

Every single OEM out there has replaced engines and transmissions on brand-new vehicles. Mass-produced and complicated machines like cars still get some parts that slip through quality control. It happens. That's what the warranty is there for.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back