2007 Mazda CX-7, 2.3L Turbo, Motorcraft 5W-20

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is the latest report from my Mazda CX-7 Turbo.

1- Wear continues to drop calculated at ppm/1k miles
2- Fuel dilute is half of last time, BUT, would I have got more fuel in the oil had I run this oil to 4400 miles again???
3- Copper in this engine seems to start out horrible and then begins to fall quickly. GM and Acura/Honda vehicles do the same. It seems Mazda has similar short block properties.
3- I did add STP oil additive (blue bottle) to increase Zinc a bit, but mainly to increase viscosity. Don't know if it helped.
4- The Direct Fuel Injection in this engine is most definitely having a major impact on oil life and integrity.
5- It seems to me a thick 30W or thin 40W would alleviate the fuel dilute.
6- Synthetic oil should keep its integrity longer in this environment.
7- Currently running 4qts of Chevron Delo 400 and 1 1/2 qts of Pennzoil dino 5W-20. The coming cold weather here in MO is of concern to me.

Questions, comments or otherwise flaming is welcomed!
cool.gif

Rick

Code:

Havoline dino Motorcraft Motorcraft

5W-30 5W-20 Blend 5W-20 Blend

STP add

Miles/oil: 1770 4404 1744

Miles/engn: 2280 9744 11498

------------------------------------------------------

Aluminum 3 3 2

Chromium 1 1 0

Iron 17 18 5

Copper 107 72 16

Lead 0 2 0

Tin 2 0 0

Molybdenum 374 44 30

Nickel 0 0 0

Manganese 2 0 0

Silver 0 0 0

Titanium 0 0 0

Potassium 0 1 0

Boron 49 105 119

Silicon 15 5 3

Sodium 0 3 2

Calcium 1618 1852 1673

Magnesium 41 8 6

Phosphorus 758 622 676

Zinc 903 768 827

Barium 2 7 1

---------------------------------------------------------

---------------------------------------------------------

Viscosity: 55.1 49.1 52.3

Flashpoint: 360 330 350

Fuel: Trace 2.0% 1.0%

Antifreeze: 0% 0% 0%

Water: 0% 0% 0%

Insolubles: 0.3 0.6% 0.4%

Thanks for posting. Is this a Blackstone report? Am I reading that right that the insoluble is .4 after only 1744 miles?
crazy.gif

I'm glad to see someone with a similar engine to mine that has more miles on the engine. I say similar because the CX-7 has 244 hp while the Speed 3 is rated for 263 hp. How much boost does the CX-7 have?

I think it will be of interest to watch the fuel dilution especially with the DI and the turbo. Have you been following the Audi with DI that also had problems with fuel dilution? The Audi owner took an interesting path by engaging Terry Dyson and an oil company that would mix up a special batch to fight that very problem. I think you could get a similar formula but in 5w-20. There were real positive results and it looks like it was more than just thicker oil.

There are no typos in these reports and yes, they all are Blackstone reports. The insolubles are high because of the ongoing issue with the fuel.

The only difference between the MazdaSpeed 3 and the CX-7 is a slighty bigger turbo; otherwise they are identical. Boost in this car is more than 15 psi.

I have read the entire RI_RS4 thread. I've even been in contact with Bill from RLI. The oil is a bit pricey and quite thick (per spec sheet), but I am willing to buy it. I might not keep this car for more than 2-3 years though. The new Camaro has me all wet. Yeah, I know....obviously I didn't learn my lesson (for those who may know my history)

BTW, factory specd oil for this engine is 5W-30. I have used 5W-20 twice, but I think the fuel dilute is too much for such a thin viscosity. My next UOA should look better than all these.

Other things I should mention is that dyno tested MazdaSpeed 3 and 6 have shown very rich mixtures. Couple that with the DI system and things can get a bit hairy.
I've also started using 89 octane fuel, despite the mandated 93 octane. If my math is right, high octane fuel + rich mixture = unburnt fuel (insolubles) I'll use 87 in the winter. No pingin or adverse effects so far.

Quote:

There are no typos in these reports and yes, they all are Blackstone reports. The insolubles are high because of the ongoing issue with the fuel.

There are several Blackstone reports with VW/Audi DI 2.0T engines that also have severe dilution. Even in the 10k drains, the insolubles weren't this high.

Quote:

I've also started using 89 octane fuel, despite the mandated 93 octane. If my math is right, high octane fuel + rich mixture = unburnt fuel (insolubles) I'll use 87 in the winter. No pingin or adverse effects so far.

Does your mpg change at all between fuel grades?

I wonder if you take the sample off the top of the oil right after a hard drive would you get a higher fuel dilution reading.

Fiance has 2,500 miles on ASM 0w-20. The 2.3 3 non turbo. Should be a interesting sample when I pull it. Probalby not until 8k or so.

VeeDub,
I guess this engine is self destructing or it simply is an insoluble producing P.O.S.

uconn,
It seems mileage is at least the same; maybe even better. I'll be able to tell in about a week. Butt-dyno tells me no power difference. The turbo pulls hard, even in this MO super-duper hot weather. It's been over 100*F in the last few days!

Lonnie,
My sampling method is the standard type...let ~2qts of the hot oil drain, then sample.

buster,
The non-turbo Mazda 3 is NOT the same. They don't even have the DI system. The regular 3s should look quite a bit cleaner and with less wear than these DISI Turbo engines.

BTW, boost in this car is 15.5 or 15.7psi and 106hp per liter.

Quote:

VeeDub,
I guess this engine is self destructing or it simply is an insoluble producing P.O.S.

Last Z, I wouldn't raise the white flag yet. I'd use a euro spec synthetic oil (like those VW/Audi engines are running) and see if insolubles drop. I have very little faith in dino or blends in a tough environment like this.

The havoline 5w-30 does show slightly lower insolubles although it is still high for a 1700 mile run.

Veedubb,
I won't reaise any flags! I do think after all, this engine will be just fine. The right oil is definitely crucial in this case.

Eddie,
The insolubles, in my opinion is due to fuel attacking the oil and creating unwanted byproducts. The 5W-20 "may" have contributed to more insolubles vs. say a 5W-30 or thicker oil. I guess we'll see in a few months when I test the next sample which is a mix of Delo and Pennzoil.

Oh wait....you too have a CX-7? Cool! How you like it? Have you done any of the PCM updates on it? What trim is it?

I will say this: you mazda owners are restoring my faith a little in the VW engineers. At least we can now blame new technology (DI) rather than pure engineering ineptness for the recent VW/Audi fuel/wear issues. So thank you
cheers.gif

Quote:

I will say this: you mazda owners are restoring my faith a little in the VW engineers. At least we can now blame new technology (DI) rather than pure engineering ineptness for the recent VW/Audi fuel/wear issues. So thank you
cheers.gif

Indeed, quite the Pyrrhic victory, it seems!
stooges.gif

didnt a ford engineer and mobil oil say dont add nothing to your oil? just go by the owners manual period...all auto companies reccomend against additives...i dont know why people want to be chemists...mobil has a pretty good reputation, they might know what they are talking about...plus billions of dollars invested in research with actual scientists and chemical engineers

I assume you are referring to my adding of the STP additive. I wanted to increase viscosity after the new oil began having a strong fuel odor. I figured the little extra Zinc wouldn't hurt either.

Easy does it, chet2....the additive didn't cause any damage. It's not Z-Max or Slick 50 we are talking about here. STP is a legitimate additive and contains the same products used to formulate oils.

Chevron Delo 400, what grade? Is that a 15W-40 or a 10W-30?

I busted your chops on the previous threads, so I'll continue that trend here
wink.gif

Why aren't you trying a straight-up xW-30 synthetic? Or if you insist on going outside the manufacturer recommendations, why not something tried and true like Mobil 1 5W-40?

jeff

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back