5W20 in a Mercedes M112 V6

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thinking of using this instead of the 229.51 MB rated oil for the next OCI.

The engine is a 2.8l V6 with a 8.5qt sump and driving conditions are pretty much 40 city miles a day with rare redlines thrown in.

Highway stints are pretty rare too.

I think I can easliy do this with such a large sump capacity for a 2.8l engine.

Tell me what you ponder?

daimler engineers of old are by far the world standard in automotive engineering. A lot of that information still is very true. MB tends to be VERY conservative in their engineering, and as such, though it may be the case that new chemistries come out that are not/were not reccomended. Then again, it may be something that has a good reason.

You can be relatively sure that using their reccomended oils will ensure you to get LONG, LONG life.

In reality, any changes are specific to YOUR use and driving style/profile. UOA is necessary, with the correct diagnosis from professionals such as Terry Dyson, to be able to verify your choices as correct.

JMH

Dr Haas needs to chime in here. I think he said he used Pennzoil 5w20 in a S500 he had.

Quote:

Dr Haas needs to chime in here. I think he said he used Pennzoil 5w20 in a S500 he had.

Read that here also but pertaining to a V12 S600(something like 80k plus miles I belive).

Yes, I used 5W-20 regular Pennzoil for most of the life of my 6.0 liter 1994 S600 SEL. My brother now has the car and I think it has over 100k. But he too chickened out eventually and went back to 5W-30 secondary to peer pressure. The UOA were always very good.

aehaas

PS I used 5W-20 Red Line in my twin turbo 5.5 liter V12 Maybach 57 for 10k miles. It had good UOA until I traded it in on the AMG version 57S due to be delivered in 3 weeks or so.

Quote:

Yes, I used 5W-20 regular Pennzoil for most of the life of my 6.0 liter 1994 S600 SEL. My brother now has the car and I think it has over 100k. But he too chickened out eventually and went back to 5W-30 secondary to peer pressure. The UOA were always very good.

aehaas

PS I used 5W-20 Red Line in my twin turbo 5.5 liter V12 Maybach 57 for 10k miles. It had good UOA until I traded it in on the AMG version 57S due to be delivered in 3 weeks or so.

That's good to hear Dr.

I've heard the chain tensioners on the MB V12 are a weak spot and are usually changed at 100K or so even with the proper maintenace performed.
Has your brother experienced any chain racket?

If not then perhaps the enhanced startup flow of the 5W20 has actually saved them vs running the thicker recommended MB oil's!

If you like to try xW20, why not 0W20 ?

I bought some clearanced Mobil 1 0W20 at local Walmart for $3/qt. I will try a mixed of 0W20 and 0W40 in '00 E430 on the next oil change.

Quote:

If you like to try xW20, why not 0W20 ?

I bought some clearanced Mobil 1 0W20 at local Walmart for $3/qt. I will try a mixed of 0W20 and 0W40 in '00 E430 on the next oil change.

That's a good price and I'd be more than happy to use it for that price.

Most likely I'll end up using either Havoline or MC 5W20.

In went MC 5W20.

Starts ands run just as silent as with the M1 ESP 5W40 that in there before.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back