Motomaster Oil...?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi guys,

I was at Canadian Tire today, noticed Motomaster oils are on sale. I bought a jug of the Motomaster Supreme 10W-30 for a 2001 Buick Century, cuz it was cheap as ________, and I only needed cheap oil... but then I got to wondering about the Motomaster Formula1 synthetic. So I figured I'd ask here...

Anyone know who makes this oil, and if its good? I have read some info about it maybe being made by Shell Canada. Can anyone confirm this for sure? And what info is known on the different lines of their oils? I think they have what they call NuGold, which is the cheap dino oil. The name suggests that it is recycled oil, but the bottle claims it is 100% virgin oil. Sounds fishy to me. Then there's the Supreme, which appears to be the "better" dino oil. And then there's the Formula1, which is the synthetic. Did I miss one?

So, what is known about these oils? And who makes them?

Motomaster oils are from mostly Shell Canada (in Calgary), some of them are Exxon/Esso varieties.

They are just as good as many national brands IMHO, and I have used them in many of my cars in the past. I just stocked up on 10W30 full synthetic this week for use in my wifey's Camry vee6, and some 5W20 for dad's 7th gen Civic.

So long as you stay away from "NuGold" (re-refined oil), you'll be ok IMHO. I would only recommend re-refined Mohawk or Motomaster lubricants for cost-conscious fleet operations.

Go to the material safety data sheet area on the website and enter the numbers on your motomaster bottles. I have tried F-1 full syn, nugold and atv oil and they all came back as shell oils. There are full synthetic, semi synthetic and dino versions of formula 1. For some reason the syn and the dino are always on sale but I have never seen the blend on sale. I would like to see if autolab is made by shell as well.

So this oil is actually good stuff? It compares in quality to oils like havoline, chevron, and castrol gtx?

And what proof is there of NuGold being re-used oil? The label claims to be 100% virgin oil, but i don't buy it either. Is there proof it isn't?

Is the synthetic Formula1 also good? Does it compare to other synthetics, such as Castrol Syntec or Mobil1?

Ps - where is the material safety data sheet area you speak of?

"Ps - where is the material safety data sheet area you speak of?"

If you go to the canadian tire website at the bottom it will say customer service, click on that and then you should see material safety data sheet. After you click that you can enter the numbers to find info.
canada.gif

I don't think Nugold is re-refined. Their Autolab brand is even cheaper than Nugold, and that also claims to be 100% virgin oil.

Quote:

They are just as good as many national brands IMHO, and I have used them in many of my cars in the past.

Wouldn't that be made from that 'awful' Group III oil? Too bad it's priced the way it is, I think it's like $6.99 a quart or something. Tech2000 synthetic is $5.56, and there's even a 0w30 variety too.

I only use them when they are on sale (like this wk in BeeCee, full sync is 3.99CAD/Litre).

We here all know that regular price for Motomaster motor oil or even other national brands sole in ________ Tire are more costly than,say, local Wallymart or manytimes loblaws/Superstore. I only stock up whenever they are on sale.

Canadian Tire's regular prices on oils is a lot higher than Walmart, but they put at least one or more brands of oil on sale pretty much every single week, so you never really have to buy their oil at the regular price. Unless you change your oil every month, chances are very good that your favorite brand of oil will go on sale three or four times in between oil changes, giving you plenty of time to stock up. My problem is that every time I see their flyer and check out which oils go on sale that week, I'm tempted to buy that oil and give it a try!
laugh.gif
Too many oils, too few test vehicles in my fleet, that should be my motto.
smile.gif

Has anyone else noticed that walmart sales are usually few and far between with oil? When things are on sale at walmart its usually not a big sale at all, maybe 10%. Every week canadian tire has some ridiculous sale on 40-50% off.

I think Walmart has their Tech2000 dino in the 4 liter jugs on sale for something like $7.36. It was on sale last time I checked, about 4 days ago.

For tech 2000 dino 7 something is the regular price for 4 litres. Walmart always puts their everyday prices in their flyes but cdn tire puts sale prices in the flyer. Wally's did have tech 2000 high mileage on sale for a couple bucks off last week.

is canadian tech2000 the same as tech2000 in the states?

and i'm going to be getting GC for the first time ever. canadian tire had castrol syntec for 5.99/litre last week. i went to the store closest to me, and they were out of 0W-30, but they gave me a raincheck for it, yay!

Patman,
Tell me about it. I ended up with a stash from all those sales, as I used to work next to a store. Too hard not to drop by after work
wink.gif

However, their really good sales tend to run out of product fast. I often encounter empty shelf and/or undesirable 10W30 grade left only. Especially the HM oils fly off the shelves.

Walmart and Costco are nice because you don't have to wait for a sale and they are stocked properly. So you know you'll find what you are looking for at the more or less lowest price.

I just don't see what CT accomplishes with the "regular" prices that are double of the sale prices???

BTW, once I bought 3 jugs on sale, one coupon for each. Cashier said limit is single jug per customer. Then she proceeded to register 3 sales, all to me!?! Seems like a lot of hassle.

If you have a problem with CT constantly being out of stock when they have their sales, try this out: a week or two after the sale, when they've restocked, take that oil up to the customer service counter and tell them you want to buy it at the sale price from a few weeks earlier. Tell them they were out of stock when the sale was on. They'll honor the sale price. In fact I have seen people in the customer service line who have gotten the sale price on items that were on sale two months prior! (I also saw someone try that with an item that was on sale six months earlier but they said that was too long, so obviously they do have a limit)

yeah, and, as i JUST mentioned... just ask for a raincheck if stock is out. they give rainchecks on anything.

i got a raincheck for GC this weekend.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back