Motorcraft FL1A - who makes them?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm getting some conflicting info on the origins of this filter.
confused.gif

Some say it's being made by Champion Labs, others - by Purolator, or even Wix.
So, what's the real deal?
I see a lot of speculation without links and sources.

I heard that the MC filters on the car from the factory are Champion, but all the replacement filters you buy from the dealer or other stores are made by Purolator.

I have this one guy arguing that some years ago Consumer Reports did an oil filter test.
And apparently their conclusion was that the tested FLA1 is exactly the same filter (sourced from the same manufacturer) as the equivalent Wix.
Could it be that during that particular point in time the FLA1's and the Wixes were being made on the same assembly line?

Quote:

I heard that the MC filters on the car from the factory are Champion, but all the replacement filters you buy from the dealer or other stores are made by Purolator.

Are the Wixes being made by Champion?

Champion probably makes many assembly line filters ..to the exact spec's of that engine.. at the time of manufacture. The OEM replacement filters are usually made under their aftermarket line label.

MC is made by Purolator. The assembly line filter can be made by anyone ..but I'm sure that Champ does a great number of them.

I've never seen an FL-1A with a silcone ADBV.

I don't think Ford started selling filters with silicone ADBVs till the mid 90s (when they changed the FL-820 to the FL-820S), and by then they'd started phasing out the FL-1A for the FL-820S in most applications (5.0 V8 in the Explorer used the FL-820S towards the end of that engine's use in that vehicle).

Last edited:
Yes, Brian. They even converted the 4.0 to a metric thread via the right angle adapter (w/sandwich cooler) for some years in the Explorer. The engine side is 3/4-16 and the filter end is the metric/modular thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back