How much $ to have your own brand?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just curious as to how much y'all think it cost to have your own private label oil blended and packaged for you? Maybe some of y'all even know? Now I'm talking about contracting with a company such as Warren distribution and having them blend and package your own API certified lubricants. Kind of a neat idea.

Give them a call and find out. I'm sure its a standard deal based on initial volume you purchase.

Last edited:
There would be a required minimum and a cost for setting everything up, plus a cost per bottle for your labels etc. It would only be worth it if you had sizable volume.

You could set up a garage-based business where you are buying in bulk (drums, probably would be best) and storing / distributing / bottling it yourself. You probably would not be able to claim certain certifications without a licensing fee, maybe sending samples out for test, and other expensive obligations. I have no idea if bodies like the API require a membership / licensing fee but usually that's how these industry-supported bodies work.

You could, of course, lie about it and wait until someone complained ... wouldn't be the first time for retail oil bottles. If the business makes money then you could pay for the legal obligations. That's pretty much the business model used by immigrants, by the way. Start out by skirting the rules and go legit when the income warrants it.

I had an uncle who bottled soap products and I remember him mentioning seeking out bottling companies with idle equipment time he could employ at lower expense.

His runs were smaller (compared to what I do not know) so transportation of "the glop" wasn't too big a deal.

I never saw anything of his operation except for the small office. I assume he'd have had a tanker truck to get the product to the bottler.

I was thinking more along the lines of letting a reputable company do the blending/packaging. The idea would be to compete on the commercial market by offering it to shops and selling it directly to non commercial customers, bypassing the retail market altogether. Thinking like $1.75-$2.00/qt in 12 qt cases.

Originally Posted by Red91
I was thinking more along the lines of letting a reputable company do the blending/packaging. The idea would be to compete on the commercial market by offering it to shops and selling it directly to non commercial customers, bypassing the retail market altogether. Thinking like $1.75-$2.00/qt in 12 qt cases.

Too much! I pay less than that after tax and shipping.

Although you could get a quality product blended for you at a low per unit cost the quantity needed to be purchase is a lot for a single consumer.

No price limit on the holidays around here

73390EA4-26D4-4C43-A58E-ACFBDC9B2136.png

Originally Posted by 4WD
No price limit on the holidays around here

OMG! I spit my pumpkin spice beer all over my screen laughing, d**m you
lol.gif

Whimsey

API licensing is $4,500 per year for less than a million gallons.

The main capital cost is going to be buying enough product to meet a minimum order quantity. You have to be able to cover the cost of the inventory.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back